Baylor Pre-dental Postbacc Program 2011-2012

Hey SmileToday! Where did you hear they start interviews in late March? I was under the impression that the interviews would start earlier. It stated that applications will be considered after completion and the interviews will be at an ongoing basis.
Hey!
I was reading the forums from last years cycle and that was around the date that everyone said they got an interview so I'm assuming we will get it around that time also.

Members don't see this ad.

HASassin , have you applied to Baylor Dental School before?

yah i was rejected this cycle

i live in houston, and my top choice is UTDB, but i would also love to stay in texas

this program is the only one i know of like this in texas

ok cool, thanks guys! only makes the wait that much longer :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Im really anxious! is anyone else feeling like this!?!?:scared:

Hey guys, Im new to this forum, and i was introduced to this program by a dentist i worked with. on the application page, it says that i need a letter of recommendation. one from a predental advisor or two from two professors. i was wondering who qualifies as a predental advisor? can someone please help?

Hey guys, Im new to this forum, and i was introduced to this program by a dentist i worked with. on the application page, it says that i need a letter of recommendation. one from a predental advisor or two from two professors. i was wondering who qualifies as a predental advisor? can someone please help?
for me it was the pre-health advisor at my school. hope this helps

Mine was also a pre-health advisor.

I heard today that STATS is a pre-req that needs to be taken for the entering class of 2012. I havn't taken that class, and Im wondering if that will be a factor in their selection. Does everyone who is applying have ALL their pre-reqs completed? I wish everyone who has applied would post here I know there are atleast 45 others lol!

Umm I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but you all do know its mainly targeted at URMs right? And most of the people in this thread don't really seem to fit the bill for URMs. I think we can throw all the politically correct stuff out of the way because we're all adults here. There's a guy who posted earlier who said he's met most of the people in the program going to UTD and they're all URM. And it just takes one quick glace at the brochure to see who this program's for (like most of the programs at Baylor sadly).

Unless you grew up on the streets of downtown houston/dallas and have a GREAT GREAT story to tell, you probably won't get it unless you're an URM. Sorry guys, that's the truth though. I think everyone pretty much has the same immigrant family story where parents work hard after coming to America and kids go to college for the first time, etc.

For anyone still reading and thinking about applying that's not an URM, I wouldn't bother. You're just wasting your time and suffering through false hope. The best option in my opinion would be to go back to UTD/UTA/UH/wherever and take more science undergrad classes.

Once again, not trying to stir up trouble and crush hopes. Just my two cents on the subject...

Can a letter of recommendation from a Dentist work? hes helped me alot and advised on specific areas on what i should focus on when it comes to dentistry

Can a letter of recommendation from a Dentist work? hes helped me alot and advised on specific areas on what i should focus on when it comes to dentistry

No, it has to be from professor or a pre-dental advisor

Hi Anh, I don't think it will be a good idea to get a dentist rec letter unless he was your professor. It states advisor or professor and they might completely ignore your app for that reason.

Does anyone know if they reference our tmdsas app?

Hi Anh, I don't think it will be a good idea to get a dentist rec letter unless he was your professor. It states advisor or professor and they might completely ignore your app for that reason.

Does anyone know if they reference our tmdsas app?

I was wondering the same thing!

Umm I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but you all do know its mainly targeted at URMs right? And most of the people in this thread don't really seem to fit the bill for URMs. I think we can throw all the politically correct stuff out of the way because we're all adults here. There's a guy who posted earlier who said he's met most of the people in the program going to UTD and they're all URM. And it just takes one quick glace at the brochure to see who this program's for (like most of the programs at Baylor sadly).

Unless you grew up on the streets of downtown houston/dallas and have a GREAT GREAT story to tell, you probably won't get it unless you're an URM. Sorry guys, that's the truth though. I think everyone pretty much has the same immigrant family story where parents work hard after coming to America and kids go to college for the first time, etc.

For anyone still reading and thinking about applying that's not an URM, I wouldn't bother. You're just wasting your time and suffering through false hope. The best option in my opinion would be to go back to UTD/UTA/UH/wherever and take more science undergrad classes.

Once again, not trying to stir up trouble and crush hopes. Just my two cents on the subject...

How about an Asian with disadvantaged background? Can he get in? :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Im pretty sure he can. The brochure said this is for culturallly diverse students, so I doubt that they will pick ALL 16 to be URMS, I hope not atleast lol.

We all know that doesn't exist lol, I'd be curious what they think their disadvantaged background is though.

I'll put $50 down that when they release who got accepted, at least 15 out of 16 will be a URM. Check this thread in may or whenever to claim the prize if you can prove me wrong =]

We all know that doesn't exist lol, I'd be curious what they think their disadvantaged background is though.

I'll put $50 down that when they release who got accepted, at least 15 out of 16 will be a URM. Check this thread in may or whenever to claim the prize if you can prove me wrong =]

AwesomeTeeth, thank you for helping us out with your posts, but just curious how are you so positive? Is it just from what others have posted? Have you ever applied to this program?

AwesomeTeeth, thank you for helping us out with your posts, but just curious how are you so positive? Is it just from what others have posted? Have you ever applied to this program?

I've taken classes with a few students in the program, overheard their convos, and met a couple while volunteering. I can't say I've personally seen every single student, but I'm pretty certain that the majority is URM.

And yes I've applied and been rejected. From their summer program as well so maybe I'm a little bitter lol. I'm not hating on the program, URMs, Baylor, or anything like that. It is what it is. Just hoping that everyone has back up plans for post-bac if you're not a URM.

I've taken classes with a few students in the program, overheard their convos, and met a couple while volunteering. I can't say I've personally seen every single student, but I'm pretty certain that the majority is URM.

And yes I've applied and been rejected. From their summer program as well so maybe I'm a little bitter lol. I'm not hating on the program, URMs, Baylor, or anything like that. It is what it is. Just hoping that everyone has back up plans for post-bac if you're not a URM.

yeah I have my back up plan, thanks. But are you sure it wasn't because you applied late or some other factor? What is your ethnicity if you dont mind me asking.

Well, I dont know about the rest of Asians but I know my background: ESL, 2 jobs, full-time student, have been getting financial aids (grants) , my parents never gone to school because they were born right after vietnam war --> me: 1st generation to earn B.S, grew up in a single-parent family, non-traditional etc...

Everyone has different backgrounds no matter where they come from. :)

Last edited:
Well, I dont know about the rest of Asians but I know my background: ESL, 2 jobs, full-time student, have been getting financial aids (grants) , my parents never gone to school because they were born right after vietnam war --> me: 1st generation to earn B.S, grew up in a single-parent family, non-traditional etc...

Everyone has different backgrounds no matter where they come from. :)

Almost the same life as me! Minus the two jobs, I only had one. Honestly pretty much the same details as every immigrant kid's life. You would be surprised how similar everyone's story is when it comes to disadvantaged among asians.

yeah I have my back up plan, thanks. But are you sure it wasn't because you applied late or some other factor? What is your ethnicity if you dont mind me asking.

I applied a week and a half after the app opened. Maybe i'm not disadvantaged enough? But even if that's the case, everyone I know/seen in the program is URM. I don't mind answering, i'm half chinese/viet

Last edited:
Almost the same life as me! Minus the two jobs, I only had one. Honestly pretty much the same details as every immigrant kid's life. You would be surprised how similar everyone's story is when it comes to disadvantaged among asians.

I applied a week and a half after the app opened. Maybe i'm not disadvantaged enough? But even if that's the case, everyone I know/seen in the program is URM. I don't mind answering, i'm half chinese/viet
awesome teeth, if you dont mind me asking, what did you write in the essay part where it asked how you plan to help the community?

awesome teeth, if you dont mind me asking, what did you write in the essay part where it asked how you plan to help the community?

One day I want to volunteer as a dentist in a poor community and provide free exams/procedures for disadvantaged people.

It obviously sounded better when I was writing it. But really, we're going to be dentists so how many other ways can we help the community?

Last edited:
One day I want to volunteer as a dentist in a poor community and provide free exams/procedures for disadvantaged people.

It obviously sounded better when I was writing it. But really, we're going to be dentists so how many other ways can we help the community?
yea you're right. i think thats what most people wrote. did anyone else write something different? i wonder what those that got in PBP wrote for their essay. i wonder what the judges are looking for. what makes a paper stand out from all the others?

yea you're right. i think thats what most people wrote. did anyone else write something different? i wonder what those that got in PBP wrote for their essay. i wonder what the judges are looking for. what makes a paper stand out from all the others?

Oh god all those questions are running through my mind too. I know just meeting all the requirements may not be enough. I really wonder what they look for that we don't know about. lol about one more month till this is all over.

Any updates guys? as far as how many applications they have recieved?

Under represented minority.

In all honesty, I am just trying to help you guys out. I have been here at UTD for the last 2 years, and I have met with almost all the students in the Baylor Post Bacc program and they were all URM. It obviously doesnt hurt to apply, but I would have a plan B.

I have few questions about the program. If you could answer them it would mean a lot.

Are there a lot of pre-dental students in the program?

You said you've been there for 2 years, are you working and taking classes at the same time? Or does it generally take more than 2 years?

Is it pretty rigorous? Is it hard to manage a 3.7? How does it compare to your undergraduate in terms of difficulty?

How are the professors? Are they pretty helpful?

How are the classes? Are there any geared toward dentistry?

Can you comment on the prospects of students completing the program? Are the generally getting interviews and acceptances?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm kinda interested in this program and would like to know a little more about it.

BTW - I applied to this last year and didn't get in. Felt like I had reasonably compelling disadvantages, but I'm Asian and I think that really hurt my chances. I was pretty disappointed when I didn't get a call or interview, because I kinda had a lot riding on it. So just a warning to you guys: this program is competitive and I'm pretty sure they are looking for URM, so if you're not, don't bank on getting in.

Last edited:
Well I talked to Ms.Sneed and she said they have now recieved about 109 applications and the committee will not look over the applications until after MARCH 11th. Hoping for the best :xf:

Are any of you guys applying for the post bac program wait listed at baylor?

So im guessing we should be finding out this coming week what happens lol

I am so nervous with the waiting. Has anyone heard anything yet? When are they supposed to start calling for interviews?

Im so nervous myself! I called yesterday and Ms. Sneed said they are still reviewing applications, and then I asked her if they have started making calls she said, "calls will be this week and next week, everyone who has applied should know by april"..:xf:

So they have already started calling people for interviews! A friend of mine who applied has an interview already set up and was called at 12 pm today! Still very nervous, but since you said they are going to be calling this week and next... there's still hope!

So they have already started calling people for interviews! A friend of mine who applied has an interview already set up and was called at 12 pm today! Still very nervous, but since you said they are going to be calling this week and next... there's still hope!
hey! thats great news for your friend.
i have a few questions though,
did she apply early? and is she URM? (under represented minority)
i heard these criteria are what gets people interviews!

hey! thats great news for your friend.
i have a few questions though,
did she apply early? and is she URM? (under represented minority)
i heard these criteria are what gets people interviews!

She applied the day it was due (March 11) and she is URM. Apparently, the day you turn your app in does not reflect whether you get a call or not. I turned mine in the week it opened and I have not gotten anything.

She applied the day it was due (March 11) and she is URM. Apparently, the day you turn your app in does not reflect whether you get a call or not. I turned mine in the week it opened and I have not gotten anything.
ohhh wow well thats really good news for her.
i wonder if anyone else has gotten calls.
im nervous bc im not URM at all....

now Im really panicking! are you serious, I turned mine inthe first day and havnt gotten a call...but congrats to your friend, good luck everyone

No calls here! And I'm an URM and applied early. lol. However, my friend did get a phone call yesturday. She applied early and is an URM.

does anyone know if baylor has accepted post bacc's that are not URM?
and what exactly is considered URM? anything but white and asian?

my friend got a call yesterday late in the afternoon. he is an URM

SmileToday,
I think they do, but probably to a minimum. I have a friend in postbacc and there was one Caucasian in his class out of 16 people. URM would be African-Americans, Africans, Native Indians, Hispanics.

who are these "friends" that are getting calls lol, I'm also curious about what exactly is considered URM

SmileToday,
I think they do, but probably to a minimum. I have a friend in postbacc and there was one Caucasian in his class out of 16 people. URM would be African-Americans, Africans, Native Indians, Hispanics.
ohhhh yea thats what i thought too. thanks!

well im not white...so does that mean no hope? LOL jk

SmileToday,
Stay Hopeful! lol =)

Drgurl,
To my understanding, there is not as much African-Americans, Hispanics, etc.. in the dentistry field and that is why they are considered 'URM'..Asians are a minority in the general population, but not considered a 'minority' when it comes to dentistry b/c many of them are in it.

thanks Cupidsfriend!

so from what i see, URM's seem to be getting the calls first. Maybe they will consider the rest of us non-URM's later on in the week or next week. anywho, if we dont get in its not the end of the world. there's always dental applications starting may 1 and we can always re-apply to postbacc again next year!

ohhh wow well thats really good news for her.
i wonder if anyone else has gotten calls.
im nervous bc im not URM at all....

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Not URM at all, but hope they are still going to make calls through out the week and next.