Baylor Vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• Baylor College of Medicine

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Weill Cornell Medical College

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aware that they are both excellent schools, but I would love to hear people's opinions about both schools and how they compare.

Some factors that I am thinking about is research opportunities, clinical experiences, quality of faculty members, curriculum, location, and costs.

Thanks in advance for your contribution.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to baylor. better weather, and you get to run away from problem based learning.

NYC >>>>>>>> Texas (for 4 years of med school)

Members don't see this ad :)
baylor has a better name than "weill"

Cornell tops Baylor in research opps, clinical experiences, and location.

Baylor tops Cornell in curriculum and costs.

Research opps is slightly overrated b/c you only need to find one lab to work at. You can probably find one at either places without much difficulty.

Location is another subjective criterion since it depends on the your preferences.

Curriculum at Cornell is heavily PBL, which may be a potential concern for board studying.

Looking at the whole package though, it seems to me that Cornell will give you a much more well-rounded education. Unless you're certain about practicing in Texas, I'd go with Cornell here.

NYC > Houston. How much is the cost difference though? That'd be a big determining factor for me.

I am aware that they are both excellent schools, but I would love to hear people's opinions about both schools and how they compare.

Some factors that I am thinking about is research opportunities, clinical experiences, quality of faculty members, curriculum, location, and costs.

You are seriously splitting hairs here, both are excellent schools with similar US NEWS FWIW reputations. Neither is HMS or JH. So what it boils down to is what YOU are looking for. If you absolutely have to live in NYC and you are a trust fund kid, and get off on having an IVY (although minor league) name than go to Cornell. If you want to save some money go to Baylor. I would argue the weather in HOUSTON is worse, very muggy all year. Houston is a decent city but its no NYC. Go to where you think you will fit in the best, you cant go wrong with either one.

where the hell is TheRealMD? he should be blowing the doors off this thread right about now. :laugh:

I can only comment on Baylor, which is in the largest medical center in the world. I'm not going to go through the whole discussion of what I like about Baylor, but I'll give you a few bits of information.

Research opportunities: Ample, readily available in essentially aspects of medicine. There are specific research programs for medical students (who aren't in the MD/PhD program) as well, such as a research "track" where you take a year off between MS2 and MS3 and do research, for example. Personally, I would just do the research projects as electives or on the side as much as possible, which gets you to the MD quicker, but everyone has their own needs. I'm doing research with two different PI's on some small projects and that is working well for me. One of my projects is in computer modeling of prostate cancer and the other is in coagulation management of ECMO patients. You might want to see who is doing research at BCM in an area you are interested in and read the publications of those PIs and see if that kind of work is something you want to do.

Clinical experiences: I'm still pre-clinical, but I've spend many weeks in clinics and ORs (mostly through my own initiative contacting physicians who teach our classes). BCM pre-clinical is very flexible (you can arrange your schedule for what you want to do). People travel, do research projects, hang out, etc. It's a lot of work, but you can move it around. In clinics it's much less flexible and you have less freedom until 4th year. At BCM, they give you plenty of time to study for your STEP tests, however. Several top-ranked hospitals (public and private) are used for teaching BCM medical students. There are many different electives you can take to figure out what you want to do and build your skills. Baylor gets you clinical exposure relatively early, and most people seem to like that.

Hope you find what you are looking for, no matter where you go.