Baylor vs. Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sas12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else trying to decide between Baylor or Houston? If you are, please list your pros and cons for each school:

Baylor:
Pros- Im from dallas- friends/family/familiar with the area
Loved the school and the students were really enthusiastic
Dont have to deal with being in same area as medical students
Cons- Liked the simlab at houston a little more

Houston:
Pros- Simlab was pretty awesome
Cons- The students talked a lot about Dental Frats and 'Wet thursday'
School was really outdated
Have to go to the medical school for gross anatomy

Does anyone know if either school has problems providing patients for the dental students and Houston talked alot about how the students are willing to help anyone out- is it the same way at baylor?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the questions that another applicant asked at my Baylor interview was, "Do students have to find their own patients?" I think it was Dr. Miller who said that the school finds the student's patients and that there is a large patient population, so it is never really a concern. I know at SA each of the students has to find his/her own patients. Im not sure how Houston does it though. So I think this is definately a benefit of Baylor's program.

Are you sure about SA having to find their own patients?
I was told that the school finds the patients for you.

sas, can I ask why you dropped SA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Both Baylor and SA the school finds your patients for you. Depending on your group at SA some have better patient coordinator's than others. The catch is getting them to show up to their appointments. That is where the burden falls on the student to find call patients at the last minute to see if you can get someone in your chair. I am not sure how it works at Houston.

Sorry about that. I had just thought that because my Kaplan instructor was a D4 student at SA, and she was asking us if we were interested in stopping by the clinic because they were looking for patients. Must have been something else though.

Cons- The students talked a lot about Dental Frats and 'Wet thursday'
School was really outdated
Have to go to the medical school for gross anatomy

this is random, but i'm a first year at minnesota, and let me tell you that there's nothing wrong with dental frats. it's a great way to develop a good social network, and with all the stress of school, there's nothing more important. they're not like undergrad frats where you don't get any studying done. as for going to the med school for gross anatomy, it's not a downside to meet professionals in a related field; most med students are respectful, while some are stupid

Both are good schools. I like Baylor a lot but I really don't feel too safe here.

At the beginning of the year, one of my classmates who moved into the apartment complex right by the school (it's the one where many first year students live) was robbed at gunpoint during the middle of the night while he was sleeping in his apartment! In this same complex many people complained about their cars being broken into multiple times.

There are nice places to live around Dallas, just not around the school. The bad part is that the school is just in a really crappy area and you can't really avoid it. As a girl, I don't always feel safe going in and out of the building during non-business hours. For example, if you try to go to the school early in the morning, say 5-6am to get some studying done, there are emergency patients waiting outside of the door to get in. Some of them are drunk and really shady people...

The facilities and faculty are fine but I just wish it was in a better location. San Antonio has the best location of all the Texas schools.

I am also torn b/w baylor and houston. I've been at the texas medical center for a while and know the area pretty well. Both baylor and houston are not in the best areas. They are in very urban areas but with that come great patient pools. I like baylor more b/c of the family enviroment and I just got a great feel from the school.

I'm not sure of where to live but from visiting i was sure i wouldn't live in those apartment complexes right beside the school. Does anyone know about very nice, upscale areas maybe 15-20 mins away? I might be looking to buy a condo or some property. I'm also leaning towards baylor b/c I received a scholarship.

For those at baylor, what do yall think about the lab work? I think baylor students do more lab work than houston? am I right? That's definately not a problem for me, I just wanted to know what you guys think about it.

Thanks everyone and good luck with your decisions!
-ld

Houston all the way!!! Its thirsty thursday and we are getting a new school.

All three schools seemed to have their pros and cons
I loved the individual bays at SA,
but peoplewise I felt that Houston was the best
Just by looking at the number of students that joined us for lunch I could tell that the students really care about the incoming class

All three schools seemed to have their pros and cons
I loved the individual bays at SA,
but peoplewise I felt that Houston was the best
Just by looking at the number of students that joined us for lunch at the interview I could tell that the students really care about the incoming class

Sorry about that. I had just thought that because my Kaplan instructor was a D4 student at SA, and she was asking us if we were interested in stopping by the clinic because they were looking for patients. Must have been something else though.

She was probably looking to screen patients for WREB.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also torn b/w baylor and houston. I've been at the texas medical center for a while and know the area pretty well. Both baylor and houston are not in the best areas. They are in very urban areas but with that come great patient pools. I like baylor more b/c of the family enviroment and I just got a great feel from the school.

I'm not sure of where to live but from visiting i was sure i wouldn't live in those apartment complexes right beside the school. Does anyone know about very nice, upscale areas maybe 15-20 mins away? I might be looking to buy a condo or some property. I'm also leaning towards baylor b/c I received a scholarship.

For those at baylor, what do yall think about the lab work? I think baylor students do more lab work than houston? am I right? That's definately not a problem for me, I just wanted to know what you guys think about it.

Thanks everyone and good luck with your decisions!
-ld

I was in a similar situation as you last year, only it was trying to decide between San Antonio and Baylor. I grew up in DFW, and my family still lives there. I looked at apartments over Christmas break in Dallas while trying to make my decision. With that being said, there are nice places you can live, but they don't come cheap. One of the places I checked out was Jefferson at Texas Street, which is
fairly close to campus, but not as close as the Marquis at Gaston. Also, there are a few Amli apartment complexes in the area, and the good thing about them is that you can build equity while you live there. Uptown also has some nice apartments and condos, but they don't come cheap. Most of the apartments in Uptown will be in the 1000+ range. I have also heard of some students living near the American Airlines Center, as well as Love Field Airport. I don't know what the housing market is like, but some students also live in the suburbs like Lewisville and Plano, although Lewisville can be quite a commute in traffic.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM. Good luck in making your decision.

Try the Village if you choose Baylor. It is faily cheap compared to most everything near the school... $500-$750 range the last I looked... they are off hwy 75 at Lovers and Greenville. It is about 10-15 min from the school. <http://www.thevillageapts.com>

I currently live there and love it. They have running trails and ponds around the apartments, fields to play softball, football, putting and driving range... and they even have a bar and restaurant on the apartment grounds. They do all kinds of parties and events. During the summer the pool is packed and I have made tons of friends because I live here. I sound like I am recruiting... haha! But really, probably one of the best place to live if you are new to the city.

If you have the cash dowtown Dallas has a ton of new lofts that are pimp and it is close to the school. Dowtown is really begining to be the hot spot in Dallas these days, so you would be able to walk out your door and hit the scene. You could ride a bike to class on a nice day too.

And of course the above mentioned Uptown, which is across the hwy from Baylor and across from Downtown. It is pricey, but you can walk your dog at 3am and be safe because there are always people out. Bars and restaurants are below many of the apartments and you are close to the hip spots in Downtown and McKinney Ave area.

Let me know if you need anymore info...

Litldme,

I don't know how you got the feeling that Baylor has a better family environment. At Houston, we are a close group. We are very supportive of each other. When someone needs assistance in any manner, we aare there for each other. When one goes through problems, we are all there for each other. My class for example, we have had multiple females who had to miss time b/c of child birth - we did all we could to get them through it. Our classmate was murdered by her husband, we were there for each other during the grieving process. Classmates parents / family members have passed away and we were there for each other. Myself - I had to make a hard decision and take a medical leave of absence for the year because of a medical condition that has caused me to have uncontrolled tremors which created havoc when drilling and filling teeth. My classmates have been extremely supportive. Even some of my future classmates (the class below me) who have met me have been very supportive.

That said, I wouldn't base your decision on how you felt the school's family environment was like. Plus, you aren't going to run into faculty anywhere that truly care for their students than here at Houston.

As for housing goes, if you want info on that just PM me with specific questions and I will see what I can do to answer them.

Navy.. trust me, I got the same vibe of the family enviroment at houston. I loved how there were so many students when we had lunch and everyone was just in sync with each other.... this is a very hard decision and i honestly dont know what to do. I'm really going to have to sit back and decide. Please everyone continue to chime in and give your opinions.
Thanks,
-ld

Can both baylor, houston, and san antonio students give us a run-down of a day as a first year student. thanks guys!
-ld

also, i know a specific laptop is required for s.a. what about houston and baylor? (christmas is coming and i want my laptop.. mine broke during the summer and i've been waiting for a new one)

I was told that baylor gives you an old dell to work with during your first year and to wait to buy that new laptop til your second year

Can both baylor, houston, and san antonio students give us a run-down of a day as a first year student. thanks guys!
-ld

also, i know a specific laptop is required for s.a. what about houston and baylor? (christmas is coming and i want my laptop.. mine broke during the summer and i've been waiting for a new one)

I had a friend who started her first year at SA this year. I think the school let's you choose a dell or apple as part of your tuition. So if you go to SA, don't get a laptop before school starts.

I had a friend who started her first year at SA this year. I think the school let's you choose a dell or apple as part of your tuition. So if you go to SA, don't get a laptop before school starts.

In the SA interview Dr. Glass said that they provide you with the laptop becuase they want everyone to be on the same page. You have a choice of picking a Widows based or Mac based machine that they have custom made and configured to the school's request.

In the SA interview Dr. Glass said that they provide you with the laptop becuase they want everyone to be on the same page. You have a choice of picking a Widows based or Mac based machine that they have custom made and configured to the school's request.

We order it through the school, and then we have to purchase it during the first week of classes. It was about $5000 for the Mac, and $4300 (I think) for the Dell.

i know at baylor, they do more lab work than the other tx schools...can someone speak on this...pros,cons? i totally forgot to ask about this.
thanks,
-ld