Baylor waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hillofbeans

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got an e-mail that I'm on the waitlist.

Not sure what my chances are of being accepted, but it's too late anyway. I've made some serious commitments to another location.

Members don't see this ad.

what is up with the admissions timeline on this school.

i interviewed in the first session on 9/5/03. still no word. and people have been getting in since forever ago. and you get the waitlist email. and it just seems really messy. i, too, have made serious committments to another school.

i feel like if they were more timely with their correspondence, they'd attract a lot more of their interviewees. but i guess this way, they only get the students that really REALLY want to go there. i really want to go there. :( sigh. but all this time has made me rethink it all.

i still haven't heard from them either and i also interview on 9/5. WTF is up with that? i really liked it there, but i don't even know if i'd go at this point, i'm so pissed with how poorly i've been treated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat as most of these posters, though I haven't been waiting quite so long. I got interviewed in January and haven't heard anything. That waitlist e-mail is almost pointless. I mean, at this point, we all have been on the waitlist for some time (since we were neither accepted nor rejected within a month of our interview).

I definitely would have considered Baylor back in February, but no way now. For me, I think this works out for the best, but for people who really liked Baylor and would really have liked to go there, I can't imagine how crappy this situation is. I have lost a lot of respect for Baylor.

:thumbdown:

I interviewed on 09/19 but i haven't heard anything either. I'm trying to log into my hotmail account to check my email but for some reason, I can't. So I'm just sitting here wondering if I'm on the waitlist.

Yeah, this crap is ridiculous. I interviewed on Oct. 3 and I've yet to hear a damn thing from them. Pisses me off, too..

Ok, I got into my hotmail...there was nothing. If there's no email, does that mean we got rejected? :mad:

haha so let me get this straight.

waiting a long time + phone call = accepted.
waiting a really long time + email = waitlist.
waiting a really long time + no email = possibly rejected but no one really knows because we're all still... simply... waiting.

haha. sounds like a crappy game to me. those punks.

guys, i'm sorry you have to go through this agonizing wait. :( has anyone tried to call the admissions staff about their status? it doesn't seem fair of them to avoid giving an update after months of waiting. when i called before i found them to be really, really helpful/prompt/nice. i'm sure they can at least tell you whether you're on the waitlist or not.

good luck to all of you. :)

hey everyone,

i was on the baylor waitlist last year and am currently attending an out-of-state medical school school. i wanted to share my experience which hopefully will be helpful without being discouraging.

i applied as an in-state resident. interviewed on 9/27. 2 months passed without my hearing from them. i called the admissions office with an inquiry on my status, and a lady advised me to write Dr. Hill regularly to update my application and to express my continued interest. she indicated that Dr. Hill loves to recieve e-mails from applicants, and that he loves to know that students are interested in the school. she further recommended that i write him about once every 2 weeks.

as a result, i sent Dr. Hill an e-mail about once a month. in march, i asked Dr. Hill where i was on the waitlist. he replied, "of the approximately 600 applicants interviewed, you are ranked in the middle third. if you do not hear from us soon, you will surely be on the waitlist."

as you all know, baylor ultimately accepts about 300 of the 600 students interviewed (this was true for the incoming 2002 class). being in the middle third mean't that i was ranked between 200 and 400. so theoretically, half the students in the middle-third group (those ranked between 200 and 300) would very likely be accepted.

anyway, to make a long story short, i recieved my waitlist-letter in april, and recieved my rejection later sometime in june. i must have been on the lower part of the middle-third list.

it is important for you to know that there were a good number of SDNer's who got into baylor on May 16th. my case is a specific, isolated example that has no predictive value, since we all recieved a very specific rank from baylor and yours will be different.

sunkists, how are you? this is your fossil-hunting friend =)

askoogi

Hey guys:

I detect a general feeling that Baylor's admissions procedure is not very friendly. Thank god that I'm not the only one feeling mistreated by those fools. I also interviewed back in early august and have not even got a waiting list notification. And I don't care if they consider me a desirable applicant or not, they should be a bit more polite and timely. And I have called the damn admissions office but the staff seems to be trained to not say anything. They could not even tell me when acceptance or at least notification letters would be mailed out. I have lost a lot of respect for them because of all this. It seems to me that it is not a good environment to spend four years even though they are a strong academic school. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
haha. how timely. got the waitlist email today. my soul finally has found some peace. thanks but no thanks. :)

does anyone know when the last day they notify us is? is it may 16th?

yes baylor is taking a while..

from what i hear tho immediate rejections were already sent out a couple weeks ago for those interviewed...so maybe no email, no rejection letter means we might have gotten in?

who am i kidding. :laugh:

I got my alternate list notification on Friday.
You'd think the least they could do is send us a letter or something. This whole admissions process has really turned me off Baylor. Although, I hear they have an extremely high turnover on the wait list because they don't over fill the class, so as soon as someone declines they fill it up off the wait list. It doesn't sound like we'll hear anything else until May 16 though. Se la vi. I just signed a lease in Dallas, so it looks like I've already made my decision.

Alternate list e-mail today...the wait continues. Anyone know how big this list typically is?

Got my alternate list notification today. Splendid.

does anyone know how many people are on the list? i heard 300/600 interviewees get accepted. so does that mean the next 300 are on the list?

No, because they sent out some rejection letters to individuals who interviewed.

I was told by the dean that I'm in the upper third of the alternate list. Anybody else in the same boat? Does anybody know how long the alternate list is?

has anyone else still not heard back? it seems like a bunch of stuff went out - am i the only one still in the dark as to my status? can't they just reject me so i can move on.

mlw03,
I also have yet to hear anything regarding waitlist or rejection. I'm assuming that the rumors regarding interviewers that have already received rejection letters are just that...rumors. Since I didn't get a waitlist email, I'm going to assume I am rejected.

I finally got my waitlist e-mail today, not that I particularly care at this point.

I haven't heard back either...although if I get put on the waitlist, I'd still like to go to Baylor. But it's not looking too good right now.

I don't know if this is a coincidence or what, but after waiting >6 months for a post-interview decision, I sent an email last Sunday asking about the status of my application. Yesterday I received the waitlist email. I wonder if they would have still sent it to me if I hadn't emailed them first?

I just emailed Melody at admissions regarding the status of those who hadn't received a waitlist email. She said that I would be receiving a letter from the admissions committee shortly. Guess what that means?
Yup, another letter to frame and post on the wall of ineptitude. Sigh.

Hey guys, my GF goes to baylor, she got her acceptance like 5 days after her interview. Apparently, they dont dig much into the waitlist at all. Just maybe two or three of her class of 100+ was on the waitlist. My old roommate was waitlisted there....nothing. Dont count on it y'all.

There's another thread elsewhere on SDN that lists Baylor as a school with significant waitlist movement each year. How does your girlfriend know for sure how many people got off the waitlist in her class? I doubt students advertise that fact.

Yeah, I'd have to respectfully disagree with Dave. I know a ton of people who got into Baylor off of the waitlist last year, although a number of them did not decide to enroll there.

elias514 said:
There's another thread elsewhere on SDN that lists Baylor as a school with significant waitlist movement each year. How does your girlfriend know for sure how many people got off the waitlist in her class? I doubt students advertise that fact.

Im curious about the waitlist movement for a reason. From what I understand, Baylor basically has all the students ranked such that when a slot opens up another acceptance is sent out. The problem with this is that it slows the process down (as evidenced by this thread). The advantage of this system, supposedly, would be that the "waitlist" (or people not yet accepted yet) queue would move quite rapidly.

I would wait til around May 15th before giving up on Baylor. While I would be surprised if the waitlist moved a lot (though Id be VERY interested to read that thread if you can find it elias, since I have some friends who are curious about this too), it would seem as if the system is geared towards not rejecting or waitlisting someone until it is well-known that there is no chance at an outright acceptance. So May 15th might prove a lucky day.

Best of luck.

Trekkie963 said:
Yeah, I'd have to respectfully disagree with Dave. I know a ton of people who got into Baylor off of the waitlist last year, although a number of them did not decide to enroll there.

Why would people stay on the waitlist knowing that they wouldn't go there if they got off the list? That seems kinda sketchy to me.

Gleevec said:
Why would people stay on the waitlist knowing that they wouldn't go there if they got off the list? That seems kinda sketchy to me.

Baylor doesn't actually ask people whether they want to be on the waitlist or not, it just sends out notice that you've been placed there. (Some schools, on the other hand, "invite" people to join the waitlist and require confirmation that they are still interested before placing them there). I think people stick around just to see what happens rather than taking the effort to withdraw. Fortunately, because of Baylor's ranking system (I never thought I'd use the word "fortunately" before talking about that system) people who get in off the waitlist and promptly decline the spot do not significantly affect the wait time for people who really do care about getting in.

The fact that Baylor waits so long to notify applicants, and waitlists so many people, has often been cited as a reason for their relatively high acceptance rate, as people decide to enroll elsewhere and make appropriate arrangements before finally getting the "yes" from Baylor.

Hey Gleevec, do a search in the pre-allopathic forum--use search terms "Baylor waitlist"

I got the stupid waitlist e-mail first thing monday morning. I really don't care much for it right now. Most likely i'll take a good month for the list to start moving. Anyways, I'm waitlisted at several schools so I can attach one more to the string. I am accepted at Southwestern and like it there a lot so i'm not going to push any school to accept me, especially Baylor.

How did you guys find out where you are ranked on the wait list? I called and emailed the Dean but haven't heard anything back from him yet. I guess that probably means I'm on the "If you were the only applicant on Earth, we might consider you for a spot" section of the waitlist. Oh well.

Trekkie963 said:
The fact that Baylor waits so long to notify applicants, and waitlists so many people, has often been cited as a reason for their relatively high acceptance rate, as people decide to enroll elsewhere and make appropriate arrangements before finally getting the "yes" from Baylor.

7.6% is relatively high? That means they accepted 2 or 3 more people per 100 applicants than Harvard.

Newquagmire said:
7.6% is relatively high? That means they accepted 2 or 3 more people per 100 applicants than Harvard.
In-state, Baylor's acceptance rate is 12%, which is pretty darn high for a highly-ranked private institution.

Obviously all medical schools have pretty low acceptance rates (ie. lower than even the most selective undergrads). Virginia Commonwealth University only accepts two or three more people per 100 applicants than Baylor.

Trekkie963 said:
In-state, Baylor's acceptance rate is 12%, which is pretty darn high for a highly-ranked private institution.

Obviously all medical schools have pretty low acceptance rates (ie. lower than even the most selective undergrads). Virginia Commonwealth University only accepts two or three more people per 100 applicants than Baylor.

But Baylor's not entirely private. They have to take some percentage of TX residents (not that Texans are bad or anything... maybe).

So what does a high acceptance rate indicate? Say, NYU's 29.7%?

Newquagmire said:
But Baylor's not entirely private. They have to take some percentage of TX residents (not that Texans are bad or anything... maybe).

So what does a high acceptance rate indicate? Say, NYU's 29.7%?
I don't know anything about NYU, so I can't really hypothesize as to why their acceptance rate is so high (and that is pretty unbelievably high for a medical school).

My original point was just that if Baylor didn't prolong their admissions process so much, their acceptance rate would be lower than it is. I do feel confident in this being accurate.

Trekkie963 said:
I don't know anything about NYU, so I can't really hypothesize as to why their acceptance rate is so high (and that is pretty unbelievably high for a medical school).

My original point was just that if Baylor didn't prolong their admissions process so much, their acceptance rate would be lower than it is. I do feel confident in this being accurate.

When did Baylor move to AMCAS? Was it this year? Or did they? I'm so confused.

Newquagmire said:
When did Baylor move to AMCAS? Was it this year? Or did they? I'm so confused.
Baylor does participate in AMCAS. If I understand correctly, the move was relatively recent, but I don't know if this past year was their first year.

In case anyone is still following this thread, I just wanted to say that I was accepted off the waitlist last week (after having been on it for about 2 weeks). I thought I was going to have to wait around until after May 15, but apparently the list is already moving... good luck!

i'm in the upper third of baylor's waitlist what do u think my chances are of acceptance?

md_hopeful21 said:
i'm in the upper third of baylor's waitlist what do u think my chances are of acceptance?

how did you find out your position on the waitlist? from what i've seen here i think you have a very good shot if you're in the upper third.

I assumed I was rejected since I received neither a waitlist email nor a rejection letter nor the coveted phone call. However, I called yesterday just to check, and apparantly they had mistyped my email address when they sent out the waitlist email. Strange, since they had the RIGHT one when they sent out information for my secondary application and interview information.

So..........I'm waitlisted but the secretary said that she couldn't tell me where I was in the waitlist. How did you, md_hopeful21, find out about your waitlist position?

And since they apparantly divide their waitlist into tiers, does anybody know what traditional movement off of it is? Are we waitlisted individuals retained in the same order that we were ranked in originally or are we pooled together like other schools?

Thanks!
~Abbiequeen :)

Abbie, you have to e-mail the dean of admissions to find out your position on the waitlist.

elias514 said:
Abbie, you have to e-mail the dean of admissions to find out your position on the waitlist.

Which Dean?
Leighton Hill , L
Sr Associate Dean
Email: [email protected]

or someone else?

Thanks!

abbiequeen said:
Which Dean?
Leighton Hill , L
Sr Associate Dean
Email: [email protected]

or someone else?

Thanks!

hi abbie,

yes, dr. hill is the one you want to contact. he's also the one who first called me to let me know i had gotten in off the waitlist. good luck! PM me if you want details.