Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Baylor

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by whatsdown, Mar 28, 2007.

1. whatsdown

Resident [Any Field]
    Question - I heard that Baylor cardiology had some kind of funding scandal 4-5 years ago and has since been shunned by the NIH for future funding. As a result the department has suffered, people are not getting new grants. Anyone heard something similar?
    Thanks,

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aragon

aragon Member

All that I know is that the PD is a dictator, the program is going down since they separated from Methodist and all the fellows hate him and can't wait to end the nightmare ... I mean fellowship :eek:

4. whatsdown

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes - splitting from methodist was bad for them. I wonder how solid their relationship is with Texas Heart? They are building their own hospital, which makes for an unpredictable situation.

5. tibor75

tibor75 Member

Attending Physician
    Well, it can't be any worse than when Robert Roberts was in charge. Not only was he a jerk, and a liar (in his discussions with me about how the match worked), but he was unethical to boot and got suspended from doing patient research while at Baylor.

6. whatsdown

Resident [Any Field]
    Were to the fellows just mad because they had to change hospitals, etc...or were they really mad at the PD? I thought the fellows liked being at THI.

7. tibor75

tibor75 Member

Attending Physician

I seriously doubt it matters which hospital was better. If you're a fellow at one program and you undergo a drastic switch like that, you're bound to get screwed. I interviewed for a faculty position at Methodist and Baylor and both sides freely admitted that it was those fellows caught up during the middle of their training that really suffered. As I also interviewed there for fellowship, I'm grateful I didn't end up there.