SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Baylor

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by whatsdown, Mar 28, 2007.

1. whatsdown

whatsdown 2+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Question - I heard that Baylor cardiology had some kind of funding scandal 4-5 years ago and has since been shunned by the NIH for future funding. As a result the department has suffered, people are not getting new grants. Anyone heard something similar?
    Thanks,

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. aragon

aragon Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2004
    All that I know is that the PD is a dictator, the program is going down since they separated from Methodist and all the fellows hate him and can't wait to end the nightmare ... I mean fellowship :eek:

4. whatsdown

whatsdown 2+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Yes - splitting from methodist was bad for them. I wonder how solid their relationship is with Texas Heart? They are building their own hospital, which makes for an unpredictable situation.

5. tibor75

tibor75 Member 5+ Year Member

May 11, 2006
    Well, it can't be any worse than when Robert Roberts was in charge. Not only was he a jerk, and a liar (in his discussions with me about how the match worked), but he was unethical to boot and got suspended from doing patient research while at Baylor.

6. whatsdown

whatsdown 2+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Were to the fellows just mad because they had to change hospitals, etc...or were they really mad at the PD? I thought the fellows liked being at THI.

7. tibor75

tibor75 Member 5+ Year Member

May 11, 2006

I seriously doubt it matters which hospital was better. If you're a fellow at one program and you undergo a drastic switch like that, you're bound to get screwed. I interviewed for a faculty position at Methodist and Baylor and both sides freely admitted that it was those fellows caught up during the middle of their training that really suffered. As I also interviewed there for fellowship, I'm grateful I didn't end up there.