Baystate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scudrunner

ASAPAC Supporter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on this program? Saw some alarming stuff on scutwork.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any info on this program? Saw some alarming stuff on scutwork.

Bump. I have an interview scheduled there but can't figure out if I should go or not. Thoughts anyone??

Bump. I have an interview scheduled there but can't figure out if I should go or not. Thoughts anyone??

Really simple.....How many interviews do you have? Less than 10? Go More than 15? Only go if you think it will be a top 3. In between 10-15, go if you want to be there. It's ACGME certified so it's likely a solid program for most part. It's in Baystate which isn't a great location but if you've got family and want to stay in the new england area then that might be a good thing.

I got no actual info on the program but you're also doing a disservice to yourself if you go or don't go based on the reviews posted from SDN. Most of the reviews you find here are biased one way or the other. Go on the interview and start digging, watch the residents, ask if they seem happy, talk to the program director, you'll know very quickly if it's a good or bad program. Another thing to remember is that what makes a program good for you might be different for others so don't base your decisions on other peoples perceptions

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually got to talk with an individual the other day who is a resident there and found out that the scutwork reviews are complete BS. They have a new, highly renowned chair, who is continually improving the program and who hired a large number of academically-oriented faculty to focus on education. Schedule is not bad- they are out by 4 every day when not on call. It sounds like very solid program. That being said, I cancelled my interview because I have an abundance of offers and I knew it would not make it into my top 5.

They are famous for having an anesthesiologist fabricate a lot of data on multimodal pain management.

Current resident here. For the record, the scutwork reviews are BS. Think about it...who puts forward the time and effort to write lengthy reviews? Those extremely dissatisfied or reasonable middle-of-the-road people?

That being said, Baystate is a sleeper program. No pun intended. Dedicated advanced airway months, tons of regional (can be a rarity and getting increasingly important) and a great mix of cases. Workload is somewhere in the middle as the program sits halfway between a truly "academic" setup (read: surgeons taking their sweet time, the actual procedure starts 1/2 hour plus after induction) and a well-oiled private practice group. You will graduate with the confidence and competence to keep up in the "real world" when you are done. As one not originally from the East Coast, Western MA is actually pretty kick ass. The hospital serves a large catchment area for referrals and has a huge monopoly, another thing to consider. Faculty from prestigious institutions (Ivy League, Dana Farber, MD Anderson etc.) are coming over in droves as a result of our chairman.

Baystate is certainly worth a look.

I am happy to answer any questions via PM. Best of luck!

For your enjoyment, here is a video of Dr. Bailin in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDRTzmuwMnQ

Does he have a video putting his own central line?