BCEM (ABPS) recognition status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knovecc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In how many states (and which ones) are BCEM docs allowed by the state medical board to advertise as "Board Certified" ER doc?
So far I know Florida and Texas do, and NY doesn't.

For the rest, the only thing I found out (on Wiki) is that ~50/70 state medical boards in US are neutral regarding ABPS vs ABMS, but no specifications about BCEM vs ABEM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...ecialties#Recognition_by_State_Medical_Boards

Comments are welcome, but please, I don't want this post be hijacked as a battlefield debating whether BCEM should be recognised or not.
Just give me the facts, and the numbers please.

Members don't see this ad.

It might be more useful to call the local hospital credentials committees in the location you want to end up working at, and some major employers of Emergency Physicians (Team Health, EM Care, local SDGs) to ask them which board certifications they recognize. The answer is likely to be ABEM/ABMS in the great majority, with the exceptions being mostly in rural underserved areas. That's what is most relevant, I think.

Whether a state allows you to "advertise" as board certified with this or any other board is almost irrelevant, since EM is almost entirely hospital based. What's more relevant is if hospital credentials committees and employers (CMGs, SDGs) recognize it as legitimate board certification, since that's what's going to determine if you can actually get a job or not. But you can call the organization itself (ABPS/BCEM) and I'll bet you'll get your answer quickly, regarding the state by state issue.

In specialties where one can practice entirely outpatient dependent on referrals, it might help more to be able to advertise as board certified, but realistically patients and referring doctors don't usually have the time, knowledge or care to keep track of who's board certified and by what board. Even insurance companies you're going to bill, may not care since any physician in any specialty is allowed to bill any CPT or EM code.

My personal opinion on which board is better, is irrelevant. It's all about "Jobs, jobs, jobs." If those on whom you depend for a job consider a certification legit, then it's legit. If not, then it's a worthless but expensive piece of paper, most suitable for shredding, origami, or paper airplane design, regardless of how good or well intention the organization happens to be. If you're coming to the U.S. from Canada as Family Medicine trained doc (as your post history suggests) hoping to work as an Emergency Physician, your options are going to be limited.

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to your question, but I agree with Birdstrike that you're asking the wrong one. Most emergency docs don't advertise to the public anyway. The only place board certification comes up is when you're being hired and when you're getting credentialed. All those folks know the difference between BCEM and ABEM and your CV isn't going to hide the fact you didn't do an EM residency and passing the ABEM boards. Why take a chance when you have dozens of candidates that have done those things? If a job is desperate, they may take BCEM. Otherwise, it's a huge red flag. We wouldn't even interview you without an EM residency. We have that luxury. Some locations do not.

Last I checked, state medical boards don't care about board certification.They're all about licensing, and they're two very different things.

P.S. I might not hire you if you call yourself an ER doc either. :)