BCGP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeerMe

Reaction score
I’m really curious but for those with this certification, what has it done for your career? Were you able to do more things in your setting? (assuming in LTC)

For those pursuing it, why are you interested in doing that?

A lot of certifications are pretty much just adding extra letters to your name but I wanna know if it actually makes a difference in your job

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve looked at it but never taken the plunge. I asked my boss but they wouldn’t give a raise or cover any of the costs. That seemed like the definition of pointless to me so I gave up on the idea.

I will be eligible to sit for the BCGP next year. I am planning on taking the exam and obtaining the cert. I really don’t have a “good reason to do it” other than the fact that “I can”.

May as well as far as I’m concerned.

I did do it, in 2014, and actually let it expire (it was "CGP" at the time). In my personal case, it didn't help me get a job and it was expensive - I think $600 for the test, $250 for a 'certification fee,' and then 75 hours of CE that is difficult/impossible to find for free or with sites like FreeCE.com.

However, if you work in LTC or are hoping to get an opportunity in LTC, it could make a difference. Having it also qualified me for a contract clinical pharmacist job with the Navy even though I hadn't completed a residency (I ultimately didn't take that job, but it was offered to me). Those are the two areas I'm aware of, from having the certification, where it could help.