BCL/ACLS Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMresident2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

How long does certification last (ie., when does it expire?). I was certified in 2009, but starting another residency this year, would I have to be re-certified? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It should say on your card; however, I think ACLS lasts for two years.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if my ACLS certification expired in 2011, can I get recertified instead of retaking the entire course to get certified again? How can I go getting recertified if I don't have my original ACLS card? Thanks

My ACLS is good until June, but I need to recertify prior to starting intern year. I see all of these ads for online ACLS recertifications. Are they legit? I find it hard to believe the proper training and evaluation of knowledge can be done on a computer. When I was first certified we were running codes on human patient simulators. How can they replicate that online?

So if my ACLS certification expired in 2011, can I get recertified instead of retaking the entire course to get certified again? How can I go getting recertified if I don't have my original ACLS card? Thanks

if you let it expire, you need to retake the entire course...

My ACLS is good until June, but I need to recertify prior to starting intern year. I see all of these ads for online ACLS recertifications. Are they legit? I find it hard to believe the proper training and evaluation of knowledge can be done on a computer. When I was first certified we were running codes on human patient simulators. How can they replicate that online?

Does your residency not have ACLS as part of orientation (many/most, although not all do)? If so, just do that. If not, the online things are fine for the coursework/written exam but you need to participate in a live "MegaCode" in order to complete the training and get your card. Anywhere that does a regular ACLS course will let you register (and pay for) this if you've passed the online portion.

if you let it expire, you need to retake the entire course...

Expire by more than 3 or 6 months anyway.
Also, you can get your merit badge online. You pay for it, but then again, it's not like the hospital cares where you get your merit badges.

I found an online course that has everything online with no skills check (i.e. no in-person megacode). Is this legit or is it a scam? The website is: http://www.aclsrecertificationonline.com/

Scam. See this line in the FAQ for why.

If you want to send me $175 in cash (a $50 savings!) I will happily send you a similarly fake ACLS certification card that no hospital will recognize...I'll even spend 10 or 15 minutes creating it in MS Paint.

Your program should do a cert/re-cert during orientation. If not, contact the hospital and ask when they're offering it. Mine offers both cert and recert several times each month.

Scam. See this line in the FAQ for why.

If you want to send me $175 in cash (a $50 savings!) I will happily send you a similarly fake ACLS certification card that no hospital will recognize...I'll even spend 10 or 15 minutes creating it in MS Paint.

Depends on the hospital. Ask me how I know.

Of course, the merit badges themselves are a joke, AHA or not.

You need to have a skills check portion in order to be an AHA approved course. Try onlineaha.org where you can do the theoretical stuff online and the skills portion at a location close to you. Should be about $200 total.

I recommend that you do it at your hospital orientation if it's offered. It saves money, and it's a lot more painful trying to understand and memorize the different code situations and algorithms on your own (especially if you're doing it for the first time).

The ACLS card that we were issued in med school was through ASHI (American Safety & Health Institute) and not through the AHA. Can I still just re-certify or will I have to do a full 2-day course? My residency has a half-day session for recertification but doesn't offer a full 2-day program. Is ASHI recognized by hospitals? I am not sure why my med school didn't get our cards through the AHA...

Reading the ASHI site, it does not appear that ASHI is approved or recognized in all 50 states. In fact, it states three states have now approved and recognize some ASHI courses:

New Approvals Gained
Michigan
The Michigan Board of Athletic Trainers have reviewed and approved ASHI and MEDIC First Aid first aid and CPR courses. Basic First Aid, CPR and AED, along with CPR Pro for the Professional Rescuer are approved for meeting Licensure, Renewal, and Continuing Education requirements.

Pennsylvania
The Department of Agriculture has reviewed and approved both ASHI and MEDIC First Aid's basic first aid training programs. This approval allows Bungee Jump Staff to fulfill their basic first aid certification requirement by attending a ASHI or MEDIC First Aid training course.

Washington
The Bureau of EMS has given approval to ASHI for Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) in the use of certifying EMS Physicians and Paramedics. This approval was granted based on ASHI's on-going CECBEMS approval.

I would retake an AHA ACLS course if I held an ASHI card. As for whether you can recertify or need to take the whole course, sounds like a question for an AHA office.

Mine won't. Gotta pay outtA pocket :(

Wow that's pretty ridiculous. I'm in a county program in a county that is essentially bankrupt...and they're still covering ACLS. Can't imagine any other program having more of an excuse NOT to pay than these guys.

If the program already has someone who is a certified instructor the only cost would really be the $5 for the card from the AHA.

I think it all depends on your institution. My entire hospital - University of South Florida - did their ACLS online at http://www.aclscertification.com/

I would recommend that site just because it is the most well recognized online ACLS course, but I would also recommend an in-person course if it is your FIRST time getting your ACLS certification. Good luck!