BCOM vs. UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busycan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked in the past, but since they're both new schools, I was hoping for a more up-to-date response with growing class sizes

BCOM
Tuition: ~50k
Cost of living: low
Board prep materials: Kaplan and Firecracker
-/+ new school, I would be in their 3rd graduating class
-/+ private loan for first year; but partnered with nearby banks for good interest rates / repayment
- non-ideal location / meh food options
-/+ (?) Anatomy labs are virtual, can take normal anatomy later as an elective if desired
+ Non-mandatory recorded lecture; spiral curriculum; curriculum utilized at RVUCOM who ranked first nationally in COMLEX I
-/+ small campus, but the campus is nice and allowed access to NMSU library / gym / recreation
+ can start clerkship at the end of year 3
+/- Yr 4 = required EM, primary care, surgical specialty, and vacation; 7 electives; can choose any location with approval
+ felt more... "homey" .... if that makes any sense

UIWSOM
Tuition: ~55k
Cost of living: low
Board prep materials: Osmosis
- newer; I would be in their 2nd graduating class
- [Super shallow reason] I'm not religious, and it would pain me a little to say I graduated from the University of the Incarnate Word (just a very very very small point of pride)
+ federal financial aid from the get go
+ I love the location; located 10 minutes from downtown
- Facilities leave much to be desired
+ More potential/emphasis on research
- business casual 3/5 days
-/+ mandatory lecture; but the day typically ends at noon
+/-: lots of self-directed learning; CBL; spiral curriculum; curriculum modeled after Case Western and Hofstra?
+/- Yr 4 = required EM, 3 selective, and 5 electives; unclear on whether I can choose any location
+ affiliations with a teaching hospital, and nearby two level I trauma centers (not sure how much this matters)

If any current students have any additional information/want to clear up any misconceptions I may have, that would be great. I think that both will make great schools; both offer patient interaction in the first year, both have high-tech sim labs. I felt more comfortable at BCOM and I liked the campus better, but I feel like UIWSOM is in a better location, and might offer better connections to hospitals (?) ... Ultimately, I'm trying to come back to CA afterwards and I'm feeling primary care or EM, but specializing is a possibility. I want to keep an open mind and not close too many doors. Any input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just curious, what did you end up choosing?

I was in the same position as you between NYIT-AR and UIW. I ended up choosing UIW primarily because of the location, and large hospital systems for rotations. I approached it as, I'm going to become proficient with medical knowledge in the first two years regardless of where I go, and can purchase additional board prep material myself anyways. So all that matters is which location would give me better rotation site access, affiliates and so forth for my last two years. Based on that, I went with UIW. Also it helps that Texas is a physician friendly state.

Reactions: 2 users
I want to echo what eaglehawk said. I got an acceptance to UIWSOM and waitlisted at BCOM presently.

Last edited:
I was in the same position choosing between ARCOM, NYIT-AR, & UIWSOM. I chose UIWSOM mainly because of the location and how the clinical rotations are in a urban area. I thinking having a PBL only curriculum will be challenging (I'm really used to the "here's a powerpoint, memorize it" mentality) and self-learning will be an adjustment (friends at this schools have told me this) but many people in schools with rigorous curriculums are constantly only studying for their classes, which test on minutiae that sometimes isn't even relevant to boards. I feel that with this curriculum you are more free to choose which resources you want to study with, like board prep resources and you can use this resources for the 2 full years. You can focus on using these from day 1 to learn material. I know LECOM-B utilizes this curriculum, as well as some other MD schools.