oneaccomplished3027
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone — Texas resident here. I’ve been very fortunate to have been accepted to Touro Nevada, ACOM, and UIWSOM.
Touro Nevada’s deposit deadline is coming up soon, and I’m trying to decide whether to submit it. I’m still waiting to hear back from cheaper Texas DO programs through the match after interviewing, so I’m hesitant to commit too early. But at the same time, I think it might be wise to treat this decision as though I don't have any other acceptances.
I’m not in the best financial situation, so losing a big deposit would definitely sting.
For those familiar with these programs, is Touro Nevada significantly better than UIWSOM or ACOM given similar tuition? My initial thoughts would be to stay in Texas at UIWSOM to be close to family, but don't want to count out options if they are better equipped to set me up for greater future success.
I would greatly appreciate any and all advice/perspectives/inputs.
UIWSOM Pros
- Close to family
- San Antonio is relatively affordable
UIWSOM Cons
- Mandatory lectures (not really opposed to this, but am unsure exactly how the lectures are conducted via PBL- could be a benefit)
- Consistently lower comlex pass rates
TUNCOM Pro
- Consistently higher comlex pass rates
- Traditional lecture included
- More established system of universities
TUNCOM Cons
- Maybe more expensive housing
- Far from family
- Potential con: changing Deans
ACOM Pro
- Southern ties
- Higher than avg comlex
ACOM Cons
- Clerkships are very dispersed throughout Alabama (might be difficult to move if I need to multiple times)
- far from family
Touro Nevada’s deposit deadline is coming up soon, and I’m trying to decide whether to submit it. I’m still waiting to hear back from cheaper Texas DO programs through the match after interviewing, so I’m hesitant to commit too early. But at the same time, I think it might be wise to treat this decision as though I don't have any other acceptances.
I’m not in the best financial situation, so losing a big deposit would definitely sting.
For those familiar with these programs, is Touro Nevada significantly better than UIWSOM or ACOM given similar tuition? My initial thoughts would be to stay in Texas at UIWSOM to be close to family, but don't want to count out options if they are better equipped to set me up for greater future success.
I would greatly appreciate any and all advice/perspectives/inputs.
UIWSOM Pros
- Close to family
- San Antonio is relatively affordable
UIWSOM Cons
- Mandatory lectures (not really opposed to this, but am unsure exactly how the lectures are conducted via PBL- could be a benefit)
- Consistently lower comlex pass rates
TUNCOM Pro
- Consistently higher comlex pass rates
- Traditional lecture included
- More established system of universities
TUNCOM Cons
- Maybe more expensive housing
- Far from family
- Potential con: changing Deans
ACOM Pro
- Southern ties
- Higher than avg comlex
ACOM Cons
- Clerkships are very dispersed throughout Alabama (might be difficult to move if I need to multiple times)
- far from family
Last edited: