BCP, other science, non-science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just called AADSAS to ask a few questions as I wasn't sure of where some subjects fall into what category.

First, I thought there were three main gpas, which are
bcp, science and non-science.
(and I thought that all the bio, chem, physics were included both in bcp and science)

But the customer representative told me that the three main gpas are
bcp, other science and non-science.

And I asked where astronomy and computer science fall into.
and she told me that astronomy goes into other science
and computer science goes into non-science.
Also, she told me that the bio, chem, physics that were included in bcp are not included in other science, other science includes other science subjects such as astronomy, nutrition etc...

Can anyone verify this?

I would appreciate any info from people who completed the application.

Members don't see this ad.

On the AADSAS instructions for coursework, it lists this:

BCP Courses (Biology, Chemistry and Physics Courses)

Examples:
Anatomy
Biology
Biochemistry
Biophysics
Botany
Chemistry
Genetics
Medicine
Microbiology
Neuroscience
Pathology
Pharmacology
Pharmacy
Physics
Physiology
Zoology

Other Science Courses (Other science courses that do not fall under the categories of Biology, Chemistry or Physics)

Examples:
Agriculture
Animal Sciences
Astronomy
Clinical Sciences
Nutrition
Engineering
Health Technology
Geology
Kinesiology
Mathematics
Physical Sciences
Plant Sciences
Sports Sciences

Non-Science Courses (Humanities, Social Sciences, Health Services and miscellaneous courses)

Examples:
Anthropology
Art
Behavioral Sciences
Business
Communications
Dental Hygiene
Economics
Education
English
Foreign Languages
Forensic Sciences
History
Humanities
Music
Physical Education
Political Science
Psychology
Public Affairs/Administration
Public Health
Social Sciences
Sociology
Social Work
Speech
Sports Administration

I just put my computer science class under "other science" since thats where math and engineering were. And yes I guess you would put astronomy under "other science." Hope this helps!

Things I am still not sure of :
1) do you get to report gpas of bcp, other-science (which doesn't include bcp), non-science or do u get to report bcp, science (which includes bcp and other science), non-science?

2) I thought and (hope that) computer science falls into non-science (cuz my grade in that one computer science is really bad, actually kind of the only bad grade) cuz in the instruction it said
"Non-science GPA : all undergraduate courses not used in calculating the science GPA are used to compute this GPA such as "OTHER SCIENCE", "MATH", "SOCIAL/BEHAVIOURAL SCIENCE", "COMPUTER SCIENCE..."

actually, this statement is not making sense to me cuz then other science and math are included in non-science gpa?

I thought computer science could fall into 'logic' under non-science, maybe not?

(also, at my school, computer science is offered at both arts and engineering schools and it's not designated specifically as engineering course, but rather there's computer science department on its own and students in both arts and engineering can major in it)

applicant said:
Things I am still not sure of :
1) do you get to report gpas of bcp, other-science (which doesn't include bcp), non-science or do u get to report bcp, science (which includes bcp and other science), non-science?

2) I thought and (hope that) computer science falls into non-science (cuz my grade in that one computer science is really bad, actually kind of the only bad grade) cuz in the instruction it said
"Non-science GPA : all undergraduate courses not used in calculating the science GPA are used to compute this GPA such as "OTHER SCIENCE", "MATH", "SOCIAL/BEHAVIOURAL SCIENCE", "COMPUTER SCIENCE..."

actually, this statement is not making sense to me cuz then other science and math are included in non-science gpa?

I thought computer science could fall into 'logic' under non-science, maybe not?

(also, at my school, computer science is offered at both arts and engineering schools and it's not designated specifically as engineering course, but rather there's computer science department on its own and students in both arts and engineering can major in it)

computer science falls under 'other science'..it does get counted in your science gpa but not BCP