BCP, Other Science or Non-Science??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshwake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few classes I am not sure how to classify;

Advanced First Aid - This was basically a first aid class, but we did cover a good amount of physiology. It was under the Health Edu department. I am inclined to put this as "Non-Science" but I am not sure. (I want to put it as "Other Science because I got an "A")

Pharmacology and Toxicology - I had one class under the PH TX department: Common Medicines. The class was science oriented, covering pathologies, physiology etc. AADSAS suggests putting them under Biology i guess.

Family and Preventive Medicine - I had a class called Intro To Medical Professions. It was science oriented and I am thinking I should put it as "Other Science"

Microeconomics - Is this considered a math class? I put it as "Non-Science"

-------
basically I did well in all of these classes, so if I can get them to count as science in any way, it will beef up my sci gpa. thanks for any inpunt.

this is taken directly from the AADSAS website:

science GPA = (all science courses including math, natural sciences and BCP)

Occasionally, applicants have questions about whether they should count a particular course as a BCP or Other Science course, even though it is not taught in a BCP or Other Science department. For example:
  • A student may take an upper-level psychology course such as "The Physiology of the Brain" that is heavily based in the biological sciences; that course can be counted as a BCP course, even though it was offered through the Department of Psychology, a "Non Science" department.

• An engineering student took Chemistry for Engineers. This course can be considered a BCP course, even though it was offered through the College of Engineering, an "Other Science" department.

• A dental hygiene student took these two courses:
    • Principles of Pathology, a course offered through the Department of Dental Hygiene. This course can be considered a BCP course, even though it was offered through Dental Hygiene, an "Other Science" department.

• Treating Pediatric Patients, another Dental Hygiene course would be considered an "Other Science" course because its focus is primarily clinical.

• A medical technology student took these two courses:
    • Hematology, a course offered through the Department of Medical Technology. This course can be considered a BCP course, because it deals with the anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system. Even though it was offered through the Department of Medical Technology, an "Other Science" department, it would be considered BCP.
    • Clinical Laboratory Safety and Phlebotomy, two other Medical Technology courses would be considered "Other Science" courses because their focus is primarily clinical.
    • (The AADSAS Transcript Processing Department will verify each course subject after receipt of your official transcripts. If you notice any discrepancies contact Customer Service Representatives ([email protected])
Other Science Courses (Other science courses that do not fall under the categories of Biology, Chemistry or Physics)

Examples:Agriculture
Animal Sciences
Astronomy
Audiology
Clinical Sciences
Dental Hygiene
Nutrition
Engineering
Health Technology
Geology
Kinesiology
Mathematics
Nursing
Physical Sciences
Plant Sciences
Sports Sciences

Non-Science Courses (Humanities, Social Sciences, Health Services, Business and miscellaneous courses)

Examples:Anthropology
Art
Behavioral Sciences
Business
Communications
Economics
Education
English
Foreign Languages
Forensic Sciences
Geography
Historyv Humanities
Music
Physical Education
Political Science
Psychology
Public Affairs/Administration
Public Health
Social Sciences
Sociology
Social Work
Speech
Sports Administration

Members don't see this ad.

Unless it is specifically on the non-science list I would at least put it in there as other science. AADSAS will change it as they see fit when they verify the application.

Unless it is specifically on the non-science list I would at least put it in there as other science. AADSAS will change it as they see fit when they verify the application.

You know, AADSAS actually differentiates between Biology, Chemistry, and Physics now... It doesn't just say "BCP." It's kinda cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a question. I know its gonna be different between schools, but in general, which GPA is most important? Overall, science or BCP?

Thanks!

I've got a question. I know its gonna be different between schools, but in general, which GPA is most important? Overall, science or BCP?

Thanks!

I would say BCP=Science>Cumulative. But this is just my guess.

so computer science classes are def in the other-science? Or basically any computer class?