BCPM courses.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matty44

CAA
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Biology Chemistry Physics Math

There is a complete list of all the classes somewhere on SDN.
Psych classes are social science classes so they don't count.
Most schools require Calc one and Stastics. Very few schools require clac two. I would take pre- clac before calc unless you are very good in math. My school requires students to take pre- calc before calc.

Biology Chemistry Physics Math

There is a complete list of all the classes somewhere on SDN.
Most schools require Calc one and Stastics. Very few schools require clac two. I would take pre- clac before calc unless you are very good in math. My school requires students to take pre- calc before calc.

Only 17 schools require calc. and I'm thinking that very few if any require statistics.

If you haven't taken Algebra I would start there, then go to Trig or Calc. depending on your math aptitude.

you should also pick up a copy of the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) book put out by the AAMC. This will give you reliable information about what you need and help you select schools to apply to.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 17 schools require calc. and I'm thinking that very few if any require statistics.

If you haven't taken Algebra I would start there, then go to Trig or Calc. depending on your math aptitude.

you should also pick up a copy of the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) book put out by the AAMC. This will give you reliable information about what you need and help you select schools to apply to.

Good luck!

If only 17 schools require calc then what do rest of them require? I know some schools require statistics well at least the ones I want to go to require calc one and one semester of statistics.

It depends on the Psych class - I majored in neuroscience and had numerous psych classes all of which were verified as BCPM courses (under BIO), but they had titles that indicated their content, such as "psychopharmacology" and "phsyiological psych" - on AMCAS there is a criteria listed in the help section that a BCPM must reach (if not actually B-C-P-M)...

It depends on the Psych class - I majored in neuroscience and had numerous psych classes all of which were verified as BCPM courses (under BIO), but they had titles that indicated their content, such as "psychopharmacology" and "phsyiological psych" - on AMCAS there is a criteria listed in the help section that a BCPM must reach (if not actually B-C-P-M)...
WAit physiological psych is bio? What if it is psych 260?

well that's kinda nice to know about the calc reguirement. I have already taken general stats and trig, just never made it to calc (never had the desire to undergo unnecessary torture). You happen to know if U of CO requires calc?

:banana::banana:Looks like you are good to go at CU, no calc. is required. It's not even listed as recommended. :banana::banana:

So good to hear, I've always wondered about that, I've taken both Psychobiology and Psychopharmacology and counting them toward my BCPM would be awesome.

weird...my behavioral pharmacology class was more neuro than i actually learned in my neurobio course and yet it doesnt count toward my BCPM...:confused:

weird...my behavioral pharmacology class was more neuro than i actually learned in my neurobio course and yet it doesnt count toward my BCPM...:confused:

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I have learned soooo much more about neurophysiology through the Psych dept. than any bio classes. Although, it's probably not a fair comparison, because the Psych classes are specific neuro courses where the bio courses are more generalized.

Same man. My physiological psych class is like alll neuroscience 0 % traditional psych.

Did you guys list those classes as bio, and AMCAS changed them to non-BCPM courses? I remember I was a little worried about my app. getting hung up because they maybe weren't as open to assigning courses as their guidelines suggested, but there was no problem.

Did you guys list those classes as bio, and AMCAS changed them to non-BCPM courses? I remember I was a little worried about my app. getting hung up because they maybe weren't as open to assigning courses as their guidelines suggested, but there was no problem.
So did you change it to a bio class?

Yes - it reads on my AMCAS: BIOL | 432 | Physiological Psych.

I took computer programming to complete my math minor, so it seems like it should count as a math credit to me, but my school lists it as a computer science class.

Does anyone know if this would count towards BCPM?