bcpm question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was looking at http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Applicants/GeneralInstructions/Documents/2011%20ADEA%20AADSAS%20Course%20Subjects.pdf

which shows which types of classes count in bcp gpas and with count in the other science gpa. so now my question is, say i take anatomy and physiology through the nutrition department at my school. anatomy and physiology are listed under the biology designation, but nutrition is under the other science designation. so would that count in the bcp or other science? is it literally just based on the department or will they pay attention to the course?

Members don't see this ad.

i would call them and find out. please post whatever they tell you

I would call. I think if you take the A&P through nutrition rather than a specific science department, it might have to go in the other category though. Can you take it through a specific A&P department? or is that not available?

Members don't see this ad :)
can't take it through another department, unfortunately, but i have several classes where i have the same sort of issue (ie, neuroscience through the psych department even if it's cross-listed with bio because i need major credit, etc).

what number do i call? the 617 612 2045 one? i thought that's only for applicants and i'm not applying yet, so if there's another, i'll call that one

I think from past threads on this subject it seems that it would be classified as non-science b/c of the department classification. I would still call that number though and ask AADSAS on their thoughts; they'll be able to tell you.

FYI on the calling AADSAS - I called twice and emailed them once. For the same class they sent many different responses. When I called they said it was non science - on the email they said it was other science - then on a later email they said the same class was non science.

So I got 2 no's and 1 yes... I think it has alot to do with who happens to be working that day for border-line classes.

I had the same thing with my neuroscience class. I feel like I put it under biology. I think you could do the same for A&P.

ack, designation by department is really stupid. i'm taking a 4000-level class cross-listed with graduate students on developmental neuroscience but if it goes by department then i won't get it counted in my bcp and i'll likely get an A, possibly an A+ in this. boo. well i'll give them a call when i have time off during their hours and report back. thanks for the help