Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Bcpm

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Faze2, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Faze2

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think someone already asked this question, but I could not find it. I know what BCPM gpa is. But I would like to know what classes are considered in the BCPM and which are not.

Like, I was an Econ major in my undergrad. Would classes like Macroeconomics and Microeconomics be considered a "math class?" They were pretty math intensive, but also a lot of economic theory. Other Econ classes were less math and more theory.
    Would a Human Sexuality class be considered a Bio class or not? Would Psych be in BCPM?

Basically, is there a list that schools use for which classes fall into the category of BCPM or is it all dependent on their preferences?

2. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

3. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The definitive source is the AMCAS instructions that the previous poster posted, but to my recollection, NONE of the classes that the OP listed would be considered BCPM. Check the instructions to make sure.

Rule of thumb (but not 100% correct -- CHECK THE LIST) is to go by the department that teaches the course.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AtreyuRocks

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    :thumbup: i agree. i assume that is why you have to pick the department when you add a course on your AMCAS

5. sehnsucht

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just make sure to pay attention that ALL your bio related classes are accounted for by AMCAS. When I entered my grades and courses, for some reason AMCAS did not include all my classes into my final GPA which I found to be very weird. Other people went through the same thing as well and it took a few calls and inquiries to AMCAS until the situation was rectified.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. BluePhoenix

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I was a physics major...umm...am I going to be punished for my lack of an A in quantum field theory?

7. prionsRbad

prionsRbad Mooooo
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    BCPM = Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math.

If the classes don't start with any of the 4 words above, they don't count towards your BCPM GPA. This is my understanding. :)