Gap Year Decisions - low BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freckle214

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a neuroscience premed major with a minor in philosophy and religion, graduating this May 2022. I recently was told by my advisor that my science gpa is too low to apply to medical school for this cycle - by the time I graduate my overall gpa will be 3.65 and my science will be 3.22. I had already planned on taking a gap year, and because of my BCPM gpa, I was told to pursue a non-thesis master's program. I plan on applying for the next cycle to matriculate in Fall 2023.

I have multiple options on the table for me and I'd really appreciate some advice on where to go from here:
  1. Accept PI position with the president of a non-profit research institute
    1. This is my top choice - this man has been my hero since I was 14, but I am still concerned about my science gpa - could I take classes at the same time? Or if I did really well on the MCAT would it not even matter?
  2. Work in healthcare while taking advanced science glasses to boost gpa
    1. However, concerned that the required training would prolong my gap year and I wouldn't get to work a significant amount of time
  3. Pursue a non-thesis master's degree and take the MCAT in August before I start

My main concerns are:
a) Spending money on another degree I may not necessarily need
b) Raising my science GPA
c) Figuring out when to take/study the MCAT - when would I be at my strongest, academically, to do so?

I'd really appreciate some advice, this has been a huge concern of mine for almost two years and I am getting so much information from so many different sources, I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

FYI, the master's program will not help your official BCPM GPA. It is undergrad only. So you would have to take more undergrad classes.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI, the master's program will not help your official BCPM GPA. It is undergrad only. So you would have to take more undergrad classes.
Oh wait yes. Thank you for clarifying. I remember my advisor saying that

Reactions: 1 user