BCPS w/o residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BKpharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, is there a way to take the bcps without residency? I heard u can.. So do i just apply? Thx in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You must have 3 yrs of clinical experience before you can apply. See the BPS website.

Here's the link:
http://www.bpsweb.org/specialties/pharmacotherapy.cfm
  • Graduation from a pharmacy program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or a program outside the U.S. that qualifies the individual to practice in the jurisdiction.
  • Current, active license to practice pharmacy in the U.S. or another jurisdiction.
  • Completion of three (3) years of practice experience with at least 50% of time spent in pharmacotherapy activities
For the most part, it's an honor system. I personally don't know of anyone who had his/her application denied :X3:

Oh my, look at all these smileys: :cat::dead::wideyed::vamp:
This is fantastic!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh thats nice, its an honor system u said so thats cool ... Do u think its worth it? And how hard is it? Thx for ur help

Just to let you know, they do check, sure the some people do slip through the cracks but I personally know someone that got audited and could not take the test because all they did was retail. Also, why waste your money on this if you're not working a "clinical" hospital job. You really think that your CV with BCPS and years of retail experience with zero hospital experience will get you any kind of job, especially in this tight job market. You can get all the titles that you want but the experience is way more expensive. I'll tell you also that I would question someone's integrity if they took an exam they didn't qualify for. Pharmacist with easy access to drugs are supposed to have high ethics and taking a test by gaming the system. People can and do figure it out. If you must get a certification while at retail, get the CGP then, only requirement is 2 years licensed and you don't throw up red flags nor do you waste close to $1000 on something that will not benefit you.

Just to let you know, they do check, sure the some people do slip through the cracks but I personally know someone that got audited and could not take the test because all they did was retail.
<snip>

Good to know. For the record, I pointed out the honor system because I've been asked in the past what kind of documentations to prepare for when BPS verifies candidates' qualifications; and like I said, I don't personally know of anyone getting audited and I certainly don't know of anyone getting denied. Then again, I should mention that I also don't know of anyone working in traditional retail, either (except 1-2 inde specialty compounding pharmacists who actually do >50% of said activities as described by BPS; hence my previous comment on ability to meet qualifications regardless of the location or 'where' the practice is).

I do agree that BCPS wouldn't really make a lot of sense in the traditional retail setting; after all, the BPS requirements are there for a reason. And in some sense, it's to protect the candidates, too.

Last edited:
I know a guy who worked at Walgreens that got turned down, they just refunded the fee once they called to verify his work history.

Another friend got a call and they wanted to verify his residency because the coordinator name didn't match what was listed on the ashp website.