Bcps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngmc11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you to study for BCPS? How did you approach it? Any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took the BCPS exam on Thursday, but I'm wondering if I need to re-register for the Fall exam if I were to fail it? It seems that the deadline for the Fall exam will come before the results come out...

I just took my BCPS. Random questions. I felt like I guessed on half of the exam. I pray I passed. My wait is close to 70 days. It sucks that the registration for Fall comes up before the results are in. They should make adjustments for that. Good luck or if you believe, God bless.

I just took my BCPS. Random questions. I felt like I guessed on half of the exam. I pray I passed. My wait is close to 70 days. It sucks that the registration for Fall comes up before the results are in. They should make adjustments for that. Good luck or if you believe, God bless.

I am set to take my exam on Friday; based on what you saw, which areas are more important to cover? Policy and Stats/Study Designs over certain areas in therapeutics? I'm nervous to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Policy. Stats. Therapeutics are very random. Common drug interactions or contraindications are important. Drug information. Interpreting lab values in case studies.
Once you start the exam you will not be nervous. When I started though I wasn't sure of the first 3 questions. I just said oh well I studied hard and I'm going to do the best I can do. God willing I pass. If not I will be on the thread again talking about the next attempt. Good luck to you.

Policy. Stats. Therapeutics are very random. Common drug interactions or contraindications are important. Drug information. Interpreting lab values in case studies.
Once you start the exam you will not be nervous. When I started though I wasn't sure of the first 3 questions. I just said oh well I studied hard and I'm going to do the best I can do. God willing I pass. If not I will be on the thread again talking about the next attempt. Good luck to you.

I agree. You studied hard and you tried your best, that's all you can do. I took it last year. In my opinion, the therapeutics questions were fair. I guessed on policies and procedures. I suck at that domain. HA! I think if you do well on biostats/study designs and therapeutics, you will pass.

Just took the BCPS exam today. Truck load of policy/regulatory questions, felt like 40-50% of the exam!! All random, JCAHO, IRB, HIPAA, FDA, drug info, econ, etc... you name it! I didn't come across too many easy biostat questions such as "which appropriate statistical test to use", but I got a lot of questions that require deep understanding of clinical study designs and trial results' interpretation. Therapeutic questions were also very random. Some of them were straight memorization of one particular side effect or contraindication. Most of them were related to applying guidelines and knowing monitoring criteria.

There are 175 questions. I'm only sure about ~ 60-70 questions. I made a lot of educated guesses along the test and already found I missed quite a few by just going back to read my notes.

Does anybody know exactly how the exam is scored? Is each of 175 questions scaled equally? I know the passing rate is about 60%. does that mean you need to answer 60% right which means at least 105-110/175 questions ?

60 days counting!!

Last edited:
I agree with sherlockRx - my experience with the BCPS is this: I barely had any statistics on my exam and instead had an unusually? large amount of questions policy, procedure, preceptorship, regulatory, and quality. The therapeutics portion was very random. After I came out of the exam I felt as if even if I had another 2-3 weeks to prepare for the exam, if this was the same set of questions I received, that extra study time would not have made a difference. I honestly do not think I passed. Some of the therapeutics questions were easy where they asked you a simple monitoring parameter or side effect/contraindication, others required you know to select the best therapy as per guidelines, but very random. I came out of the exam and felt as if the BPS may be gearing the exam more towards stressing how pharmacists play a role in quality.

The material covered by the BCPS exam is like almost everything I learned in the last 2 years of pharmacy school but the exam is specific like a chapter exam so if you don't remember that one side effect, you are screwed ..

The exam had questions from most of the subjects .. What surprised me were the few questions on which drug reference to use when ...
I guessed on so many things that i definitely see a repeat coming fall or spring

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree with sherlockRx - my experience with the BCPS is this: I barely had any statistics on my exam and instead had an unusually? large amount of questions policy, procedure, preceptorship, regulatory, and quality. The therapeutics portion was very random. After I came out of the exam I felt as if even if I had another 2-3 weeks to prepare for the exam, if this was the same set of questions I received, that extra study time would not have made a difference. I honestly do not think I passed. Some of the therapeutics questions were easy where they asked you a simple monitoring parameter or side effect/contraindication, others required you know to select the best therapy as per guidelines, but very random. I came out of the exam and felt as if the BPS may be gearing the exam more towards stressing how pharmacists play a role in quality.

I took the exam last week and this is exactly how I felt/feel about it. I began studying in January and am glad I did not start earlier or put more time into it. The amount of administrative crap on it really aggravated me. Most of us will likely pass because they need the masses to pay for their expensive CE and eventually another certification down the road. The entire profession has become a racket.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am finishing my residency in Jun. Can I apply for the fall testing ? Or is it too soon ? Would I need more time to study?

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

I am finishing my residency in Jun. Can I apply for the fall testing ? Or is it too soon ? Would I need more time to study?

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile
It is not too soon; given the exam was the way it was as you have seen from these past few posts including my expereicne, if you are finishing your residency in June, taking the exam this fall should be fine and I personally think is a great idea given things are still fresh coming off residency.

From those who have taken the exam in previous years, when do you expect the results to come out for the BCPS? It'll be 8 weeks for me, this coming week. Or should we expect Castle/board will keep us waiting till the beginning of July..

From those who have taken the exam in previous years, when do you expect the results to come out for the BCPS? It'll be 8 weeks for me, this coming week. Or should we expect Castle/board will keep us waiting till the beginning of July..

Emails will be sent out first week of July to check mybps site

So......I just checked the BPS website and I found that scores are being released this week! BCPS exam results being released from Wednesday thru Thursday based on first letter of last name. Good Luck!

So......I just checked the BPS website and I found that scores are being released this week! BCPS exam results being released from Wednesday thru Thursday based on first letter of last name. Good Luck!

Good luck to everyone .. I guess I have to wait till Thursday night for my email confirmation to start studying again for September

Crit care test results are available on mybps (well mine is) even though the website said it'll be out by end of tomorrow.... passed! :)

Crit care test results are available on mybps (well mine is) even though the website said it'll be out by end of tomorrow.... passed! :)

Congrats !!
Where on the mybps website does the result come up ..
Mine still says "you have 1 certification app awaiting exam" it was last updated in January

Congrats !!
Where on the mybps website does the result come up ..
Mine still says "you have 1 certification app awaiting exam" it was last updated in January

My status for the test was updated with "passed" and there's a link to your score report next to it. Good luck everyone!

G'day all. Congrats to those who recently passed.

I'm an Aussie clinical pharmacist considering taking the BCPS exam. Wondering if anyone has some study materials they are willing to sell me. Preferably electronic format.

Cheers!

Colleagues,

I am preparing for fall 2016 bcps exam!!!!
Please respond if anybody is studying also, need a study-buddy

Congrats to all who passed!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Colleagues,

I am preparing for fall 2016 bcps exam!!!!
Please respond if anybody is studying also, need a study-buddy

Congrats to all who passed!!!!!!!!!!

Hey.. Don't live in the states but what do you guys think about a WhatsApp study group??

Is anyone doing the psap for the Bcps renewal? Would anyone like to team up together? I'm starting the new book for October about men's and women's health. Thanks.

Can anyone here comment as to whether or not the Mock exams are different? I have the ACCP version from 2013 and someone sent me the first page of one from 2015 (was going to see if I could buy an "updated" version) but the first page was identical to mine. Wondering if anyone has insight as to whether or not this exam changes or if it's been the same all along? Thanks!

Getting ready to start prepping for the BCPS exam. I'm planning in taking it this Fall. So far I got the ACCP 2017 material. I was hoping to get some feedback about the High Yield Meds review. Did anyone use it?

Also, does anyone have the 2016 Mock exam they would like to share? I have the 2017 ACCP study material I can trade. Thanks!
The lectures are lengthy,overly detailed, but full of good information. The question bank is helpful, though the quality of the questions can vary. For the price (a lot less than ACCP) I think that it is worth the money.