Be a part of the SDN Pharmacy Admissions Guide question # 2 :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The content posted in this thread may be used anonymously in the Official SDN Guide to Pharmacy Admissions. By posting here you are giving permission for such use.

I am looking for student or applicant responses to the following question:

Why did you decide to pursue a career in pharmacy?

There will be a page of responses to that question at the beginning of that section of the book, with the screennames of the contributing users next to them.

Also, if any current students are interested, I still need 3-4 more student Q&A sessions for the end of the book.

Thanks for your contribution!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm a current student. I haven't been to this site in a while but I was just browsing today and saw your message about volunteers needed. I'm willing to help if you could please give me a bit more information and what questions you want answered?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking for student responses to the following question:

Why did you decide to pursue a career in pharmacy?

These are the underlying reasons that I chose to pursue a career in pharmacy: JOB STABILITY, PORTABILITY, FLEXIBILITY, PAY, and the option to work in various types of pharmacy.

I feel a career in pharmacy culminates my experiential journey. Specifically, I can lead as well as follow, I am dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge, relish in helping others understand difficult topics, and I crave problem solving and critical thinking. I also thrive in challenge and the ability to prevail, while exploiting my talents and understanding any weakness.

...and of course, portability, flexability, stability, and, let's not forget, paybility! :idea:

Reasons I chose pharmacy.

1. I always liked science more so than say business or history. One preceptor made a good comment about science, I could learn about politics and business or what really makes the world tick.
2. It is a well-respected profession (I think it has been number 1 a few times) within the community.
3. There are many different areas to work in besides retail, which is what most people think of pharmacy as.
4. Right now there is a great demand for pharmacists so getting a job in different locations is not very hard.
5. You can make a good living being a pharmacist. Don't be scared to put that one of the reasons is you can make good money, it is a reality and professors know this so I feel it brings you more credibility in the honesty department. It's a fact of life that most of us have to have a job to live.
6. It feels good to be helping people. Now I know at allot of places like retail it seems like every patient is just another number but it doesn't have to be that way. At the retail store I interned at most the patients knew the pharmacist well and would come in and ask how he was tell him about there kids and what not. I go to UF so this one patient the first time I saw her said well I am a Seminole and I don't like Gators. She was kidding, but every time she came in she would ask, where is the gator? So we had report going. I am currently on an adult med rotation in a hospital and I just had to go do a coumadin teaching to and older gentlemen. His wife and daughter where there and said they didn't know anything about "meds or big science words." So I spoke with them for a while and it was a really cool feeling, feeling like I helped them and that they looked to me as a professional who knew what I was talking about.

I decided pharmacy was the right path because it fits all my criteria for an ideal career:
1. A career not just anyone can have. It takes hard work and dedication and completion of professional school. You receive the "Dr" title, a lab coat with your name on it, and you are the most trusted professional. The dignity in being a pharmacist is immense.

2.There is a demand for pharmacists since the baby boomer generation is aging. You can take a few years off to raise a family if you need to and still have a job after.

3.The pay is very good.

4.After working as a pharmacy technician, I knew this was meant for me.

Well, if world was perfect and I didn't need to earn my living, I would have studied linguistics and history. However, that doesn't pay enough, so I went with pharmacy as my second best-liked option. The main reason is the wide variety of opportunities. No other degree opens so many doors or gives so many options. You can work with patients the whole day - or never see one. You can drown in paperwork if you want - or limit your paperwork to a few signatures a day. You can find a job that will let you work with people, papers, machines, or anything else you might like, and you can find it anywhere in the country and, should you so desire, anywhere in the world. Oh, and the pay is good, too. :D

Well, if world was perfect and I didn't need to earn my living, I would have studied linguistics and history. However, that doesn't pay enough, so I went with pharmacy as my second best-liked option. The main reason is the wide variety of opportunities. No other degree opens so many doors or gives so many options. You can work with patients the whole day - or never see one. You can drown in paperwork if you want - or limit your paperwork to a few signatures a day. You can find a job that will let you work with people, papers, machines, or anything else you might like, and you can find it anywhere in the country and, should you so desire, anywhere in the world. Oh, and the pay is good, too. :D

how do u write a good personal statement with these kinds of reasons? wouldn't it sound like u r more interested in the money and opportunities than the actual scinece which is involved pharmacy?

this is not just for u but for everyone in general cause most ppl say these as the main reason ..:)