be careful about Caribbean medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I should change my ID to "THEREALCARIBSTUDENT" ?

Yeap! Go for it oldpro :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That'll show'em :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

you tell em' old pro!!....and maybe therealadvisor can change his name to THEREALCLUELESSPREMED.......oh wait, i forgot that according to path one this makes me a horrible poster, lol

You get what you put in no matter what damn school you go to.
PS- I never liked advisors anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Such great last few posts, they really help someone who is considering a Caribbean school.

I will take what non-worthless posts said and revise my original statements. I was going to post them here, but I don't think its worth it.

Instead I will post them in the pre med forum.

By the way, very informative posts about the students. Too bad the medical schools don't emphasize this.

Those posting here get it because you are going through it. I don't know if someone who were considering going would know it though.

Such great last few posts, they really help someone who is considering a Caribbean school.

I will take what non-worthless posts said and revise my original statements. I was going to post them here, but I don't think its worth it.

Instead I will post them in the pre med forum.

By the way, very informative posts about the students. Too bad the medical schools don't emphasize this.

Those posting here get it because you are going through it. I don't know if someone who were considering going would know it though.

No you have not answered our questions just go on and on how you know and try to post one sided flawed information:

1. You said you went to a Caribbean school so I ask did you graduate? Are you anMD? No answer..........................

2. The stats you try to post as all the truth have been questioned.

3. Go ahead do not post the revisions, it weakens your creditability but you cannot expect anyone to take your word that you are an expert of any kind, there is no proof you are.

4. Working with 40 students does not make you an expert and any others you
claim to work with, there are thousands who go through the match and are successful I really do not think that because there are people who are FMG's and do not match (Hisotrically 43%) that this is strong enough to tell people that the Caribbean is not a good choice, it's not the best choice, but over 53% since 2000 have been able to match, (53% is an average of the match rate for US FMG's NRMP Data) The Data also posts that Canadian grads only matched 60.9% in 2006 so are we now to say that Canadians are in trouble too? I think this is short sighted.

I think this is way more complicated then just numbers. I think there are political reasons this happened in my opinion. I think there are poor candidates from the Caribbean too, it does not break down by school, there are over 30, so by saying "The Caribbean is a poor choice " may be untrue, I do not have a ll the data but I would guess the big 4 Caribbean schools, SGU, AUC, ROSS, SABA have a 1st time match rate of over 70% with their grads. What you have said is that the schools mislead as far as the Matches, maybe, there is not enough to decide if this is true IMO, the schools do not post the lists in a way that there are who graduated and then if they matched. Thats the Info you need I think.

No one has said that the Caribbean is the best choice but many do not have a choice based on the US system.

You cannot take the heat of questioning your motives and past, I think anyone who claims to be an authority should be able to back this up,

To date you have not been able to back up your claims........................

Evidence Based is what I look for...........opinions are just opinions

THEREALCARIBSTUDENT...................................

old pro....you know you are right, i would quit wasting my time with this *****

... it's not the best choice, but over 53% since 2000 have been able to match, (53% is an average of the match rate for US FMG's NRMP Data) The Data also posts that Canadian grads only matched 60.9% in 2006 so are we now to say that Canadians are in trouble too? I think this is short sighted.
THEREALCARIBSTUDENT...................................

I am not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but to confound the issue the data released by the NRMP is not indicative of the entire story. As most people know, IMGs, FMGs, and DOs ( I believe ) are eligible for prematching ( taking an offer of residency directly from a program as opposed to going through the match. ). Anecdotally, from my class alone ( graduating this june ), I know of at least 8 individuals who were offered prematches. This is out of the maybe 25 or 30 folks I still keep in contact with. I myself was offered a prematch at a prelim. medicine site. This info is not accounted for in the NRMPs statistics as it does not reflect students attaining programs outside of "the match" per se.

2. The stats you try to post as all the truth have been questioned.

The numbers are right on,they just need some explanation.

Just because you are at a Caribbean school or graduated from one does not make you an expert.

I could care less what you think about me, I only care about making sure students have the right information.

I agreed with you that my numbers need some more information and I am going to get them and post them. What else do you want?

Dr aaron, you have not contributed a single thing to this thread that was useful. At least now I get to use the ignore poster button.

That's enough. I think everyone knows that no matter what foreign school or non-US school you go to , you have to do your research. There's no need for some sort of crusade to "educate" people, as they will find out for themselves. These little petty arguments keep cropping up time and time again in this forum, the same numbers, the same issues and it has to stop. If someone has a legitimate question for this forum, by all means oblige with civility and lend your experience. If you have no experience, it is best to not answer and keep speculation to yourself. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.