Be careful what you wish for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry2U

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
<O:p</O:pI just wanted to write a note on behalf of a dear friend. She is currently a resident and has been applying for fellowships. For fear of anything coming back on her, I will try to be as vague as possible but still try to get my point across, especially to medical students applying to residency.

<O:p</O:pSome programs handle internal candidates very poorly. The program that I am talking of is a very prestigious program and only takes the best of the best for residency. She had some health issues where she got pregnant and got very very sick; hyperemesis gravada as you medical people call it. Being an intensive program, she would get to the hospital at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:time Hour=
</st1:time>5:30am, get 2L IV fluids and start her day between 7 and 8. Even through her 2nd trimester, her weight was still below her prepregnancy weight. She's not the type of individual that is to complain, and yet regardless, she would put in 10 to 13 hour days. Finally her doctor had to step in an tell her that either she needed to limit her hours or he would strongly recommend hospitalization. I am pleased to say that the delivery went well and she has recovered well.

<O:p</O:pJust a little background to the real problem...

<O:p</O:pSo, this year she is ready to apply for fellowship, not just any fellowship - surgical pathology. It is my understanding that for these fellowships, there are more spots than there are applicants. Every other year this particular fellowship is scrambling at the last minute to fill all 9 of their spots. ...Except this particular year... In September she was told that all she needed to hand in was a CV, however, on December 3rd she was later pulled aside and was told that the plans had changed. There was an incredibly large amount of applicants and that they would not even be able to interview them all. As a result, "the committee" (maybe it was the program director that decided it - no way to know at this point) had decided that on this particular year she would be treated as an external candidate and would need to go through the entire rigmarole. She was mortified, naturally because she was not anticipating applying elsewhere and led to believe that she was a good resident and it would be absurd that they would reject her (boy was that advice wrong). After all the letters of recommendation were in, which of course took some time because she was not anticipating having to get any, it was late December. There were 2 of the 9 spots left available. The PD gave her the last possible day to interview (February) and said that she would have to take the spot - which all the other interview days in January were full - or not interview.

<O:p</O:pWell interview day came, and from what I understand something just didn't seem right. All the attendings were a bit stand offish and focused more on where she had applied outside.

<O:p</O:pTwo weeks later she got her rejection letter.

<O:p</O:pWell this week, after trying to recover emotionally, she went back and visited the people who interviewed her. The previous year, when she was so sick, she naturally didn't get the best evaluations. And instead of sharing the real issue at hand the PD had told everyone that her knowledge was a bit lacking and she was behind her peers for that year. No objective data was discussed, such as test scores (99s for USMLE, and above average for in house rotational tests). The only data that was presented was the subjective evaluations as required by the ACGME.

<O:p</O:pSo now she's labeled as a below average resident for the rest of her training before she leaves for fellowship.

<O:p</O:pSo med students, lessons learned from this scenario:
<O:p</O:p1. Always ask if residents have left the program - for this particular program there have been two in the past 5 years (this is not including said resident - although I hope she hangs in there)
<O:p</O:p2. Always ask where the current residents are going for fellowship. If over half are leaving for elsewhere - another big red flag.
<O:p</O:p3. Even if your healthy now... things happen. Always always always ask to see how the PD handles those that are ill.

<O:p</O:pIf you need to stay in a particular city for family reasons, I certainly hope there are more than 1 hospital in your city. My friend now has to split up her family because her husband will not be done with graduate school undil after she is done with fellowship and he is not able to transfer because his program is so unique. Now she is heading off to another state, by herself, with a 2 year old in tow.

<O:p</O:pOn an end note: This doctor has been a blessing to have in my life. She has touched me dearly and I can't imagine why or what she could have done to diserve such animosity. In my oppinion, any program will be lucky to have her and she is an inspiration to quite a few people in our community. This truly is an unfortunate situation and I will take the liberty to say that I am not alone in many other people are very unhappy that she will be leaving. This has been really tough on her and I hope that she doesn't become bitter. We all love her.

<O:p</O:pYou go girl. Show the world what you are made of! Make us proud!!<O:p</O:p

Members don't see this ad.

Some thoughts and advices--------

- Very "sad" suffering for just a surg path fellowship. Getting into a surg path should not be that difficult. The issue with you was that you wanted to stay in the city with your family. When "geographic factors" are considered in your choice, things become more complicated.

- It is not very uncommon to encounter staff who undermine residents and provide "destructive" evaluations. Intimidating and mistakes non-forgiving treatment is commonly seen.

Learn from this experience that you should not "kill" yourself . My advice is always do things within the appropriate limits

Last edited:
Unfortunately, pathologists (particularly those in "high profile" academic programs) can be some of the most judgmental people. They are quick to judge and label residents and slow to forget mistakes. I know from personal experience that when you have an illness as a resident it is a catch 22 in many ways. If you let people know you are considered a whiner, if you don't it can affect your work and you look lazy or incompetent. These labels stick in residency unfortunately.

Actually, for the resident that you mentioned, getting an outside fellowship is probably the best thing that could have happened given the circumstances. Just think, if they are not willing to recommend her strongly for a fellowship there is no way they will be strong references for a job. She will be better off, in that regard, by doing well at the new institution and getting references there.

Good luck to her. Her pride is probably hurt and her reputation at that program is not great, however, life goes on and it is only one program. If you truly are competent, hard working and knowledgeable you will be successful in the long run. An undeserved reputation won't stick in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the concern is "..instead of sharing the real issue at hand the PD had told everyone that her knowledge was a bit lacking and she was behind her peers for that year..." then that makes little sense. If a person wants their medical information known then they have to share it themselves -- a PD can't share privileged health information without putting themselves at risk. Though it seems equally odd to me that everyone this person worked with for months wouldn't know about the hyperemesis and pregnancy...it's fairly difficult to hide having to run out to vomit every few minutes to hours.

Further, complaining the "..only data that was presented was the subjective evaluations as required by the ACGME.." also doesn't make a lot of sense because this is an in-house individual -- interviewers should already personally know that resident from several years of working with them, and have access to or prior knowledge of in-house scores. Standardized test scores aren't regularly used anyway by the time one is applying for fellowship -- some programs look at them, some never ask for them.

Not to say that programs can't be inappropriately misleading, outright lie if without documented proof, or otherwise develop biases (founded or no) regarding certain residents. And certainly everyone needs to take charge of their own future and look at residency and potential fellowship programs critically -- not solely based on someone's winning smile or a nice website. So I agree with the crux of the points ultimately made even if the introductory story appears fairly shrouded, be that to protect identity or whatever.

Unfortunately the writing was probably on the wall in December, and should have been taken as a very strong hint to begin exploring other options. The up side is that they will still have a name brand program to carry with them regardless of feelings, and fellowship elsewhere is a fresh opportunity to build new relationships along with a new set of contacts for future jobs.

Sorry for what has happened to your friend. Agree with above poster who said getting out of this place was best possible move. Sounds like she has all the tools to do well at this new place.
Sometimes I think it's good to do a f/s somewhere different from where you trained. You get exposed to a different system, a different case mix, and different subspecialty experts. Also, your network for job hunting is expanded by making new contacts. Best of luck to her.

unfortunately, as many have alluded to above, this is par for the course.

hence the many sullen faces in medicine . . .

This sounds like a case study that says pathology should have a fellowship match.

This sounds like a case study that says pathology should have a fellowship match.

Yep. Shady, non-binding verbal commitments from programs mean nothing when it comes down to it. I'm very lucky I have the fellowship I have, but I still would have preferred a match to the anxiety and stress that the outside fellowship application process entailed.

This would have been the same result either way though.

So I show up to work today and one of the attendings that I look up to cancelled my appointment and doesn't even respond to my email. I didn't think anything of it until I get to this thread.

Now everything is starting to click.

My PD today said that I wasn't even ready to hear the truth. She was obiously upset about something. NOW I KNOW.

So much for keeping this a secret eh?

Besides the facts are a little incorrect. I have no idea what happened and why I got blackballed. I'm definately gonna catch the whiplash now.

Thank you ever so much.

Ever applying the term "facts" to anything on an internet forum is at least as misleading as applying the term to anything claiming to be from any sort of "news media", and one would be generally pretty foolish to make a significant decision (for themselves, about someone else, etc.) based solely on either. Everyone has a perspective or an objective, and for the most part you're reading their attempts at getting a version of it across. Facts unfortunately may not have much to do with it.

Nevertheless, people do read and do let what they read affect them, whether they should or not. Pretty hard not to sometimes.

So I show up to work today and one of the attendings that I look up to cancelled my appointment and doesn't even respond to my email. I didn't think anything of it until I get to this thread.

My PD today said that I wasn't even ready to hear the truth. She was obiously upset about something. NOW I KNOW.

Besides the facts are a little incorrect. I have no idea what happened and why I got blackballed. I'm definately gonna catch the whiplash now.

Thank you ever so much.

wut?

so i show up to work today and one of the attendings that i look up to cancelled my appointment and doesn't even respond to my email. I didn't think anything of it until i get to this thread.

My pd today said that i wasn't even ready to hear the truth. She was obiously upset about something. Now i know.

Besides the facts are a little incorrect. I have no idea what happened and why i got blackballed. I'm definately gonna catch the whiplash now.

Thank you ever so much.

wtf?

To the op. Why are you so invested in this and what point is it to post such a long drawn out detailed story.

I would like to get the faculty's side of the story as it is always more reasonable and balanced when it comes to resident dramarama.

People always blame everyone else when they don't get what they think they are entitled to.

Thank you ever so much.

So you are saying you are the "dear friend" the OP was talking about and they have figured out it was you? That sucks. Hope everything works out for you.

This thread is one of the following:

1. Epic fail of internet anonymity

2. An incredible coincidence

3. A joke