Sick of being a Pathologist. Career change.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In my experience the CP was of some, not a lot, good use. Particularly with tox and some natural death.

Members don't see this ad.

Pathology has some of the least call of any field I thought? How often and how bad is your call? Is it a normal work day or you do just get called in to look at cases for frozen section and whatnot?

There is no one answer for that. If you are in a very small or solo hospital position you will be ON call lots but the field inherently does not have lots of calls. Even with frozen, you usually hear rumors or have an inkling that there will be a late case. A late case is being done by Dr. X and from years of experience, you know he always sends frozen so you call and get the skinny before you go home.

My job had call 4 to 5 times a year (a week at a time) and could be a bitch. We had about 9 local hospitals at one time. When I became a partner, I usually paid an associate to take my call. At that point, time was more important than money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all.

Pathologist with about 6 years of experience.

Tired of being controlled by glorified managers who work their 9-5 from the comfort of their home.

Tired of spending my days stuck in a closet (windowless office) as a salve to other physicians who have zero respect for our specialty.

Tired of being overworked and having glorified managers say the numbers don't support that.

Tired of having to pick up extra work from PA's, cytotechs and pathologist turnover and being told to suck it up.

Tired of having to put in my PTO a year in advance to make other people's jobs easier.

Tired of having sick days and yet not being able to use them unless I'm literally dying, as it affects colleagues.

Tired of being on call.

Tired of seeing no job opportunities in desirable locations.

Sick to my stomach knowing I have sacrificed decades of my life for this.

Pathology is sh##t.

Anyone who has made a career change, please pitch in. I'm open to all suggestions. I just know this isn't it for me.
this is very much your position, not necessarily the field.

I have employed pathologists who gross maybe 30 min, sign out maybe for 4-5 hours do ZERO call and work ZERO holidays, leave by 2pm everyday, hit the gym, can go out partying whenever they want and make enough money to easily live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the entire nation. The physicians that work for me have the stress level below a Hindu cow and the lifestyle of a tech bro.

Reactions: 3 users
this is very much your position, not necessarily the field.

I have employed pathologists who gross maybe 30 min, sign out maybe for 4-5 hours do ZERO call and work ZERO holidays, leave by 2pm everyday, hit the gym, can go out partying whenever they want and make enough money to easily live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the entire nation. The physicians that work for me have the stress level below a Hindu cow and the lifestyle of a tech bro.

Lifestyle of a Tech bro? Does that include blow? Kidding lol.

isn't that the one that sold at christies?
Yup for 24 million lol.

FC58A75D-A95F-40A6-BB8B-D023F562C04D.jpeg

Yup for 24 million lol.

View attachment 343972
I understand this zero. But I also read the newspaper, invest in VTI and own my house so I guess that makes sense.

How and why do you own a piece of digital art I can simply right click and "Save Image As..." ? On a technicality? And for bragging rights?
Again I understand this zero.
"To put it in terms of physical art collecting: anyone can buy a Monet print. But only one person can own the original."
-Yeah but a digital copy is a digital copy , whether it's a digital copy of an NFT or a digital copy of a Monet.

Hard pass. Again this makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I understand this zero. But I also read the newspaper, invest in VTI and own my house so I guess that makes sense.

How and why do you own a piece of digital art I can simply right click and "Save Image As..." ? On a technicality? And for bragging rights?
"To put it in terms of physical art collecting: anyone can buy a Monet print. But only one person can own the original."
-Yeah but a digital copy is a digital copy , whether it's a digital copy of an NFT or a digital copy of a Monet.

Cause the folks who dabble in it have mislocared brains which they are sitting on. This the ultimate POS speculation. It earns nothing, pays you nothing and has zero intrinsic value. Unlike metals and commodities and currency hedges, I don’t think it is even a valid diversifier. I will stick with my tiny pieces of thousands of companies around the world that really are worth a boat load of money, pay me and have growing intrinsic value. This just has to be a gen X thing. What a sorry lot. For the young ones out there, Vanguard only, 60% total US market, 25% total international stock and 15% total world bond. Never have to think. 15% of your annual income ( on top of max 401-k, etc. )and you will be rich. ( assuming you are young enough to enjoy some doubling cycles)The market probably won’t be as lucrative for the next ten years but who knows. At 7% your money doubles every ten years. Miss a doubling cycle and that is the difference between 5 M and 10M.

It makes perfect sense.

Like many other things in cryptoland (ok, all things) this started with a simple idea- that digital artists should be able to market and get compensation for their art. And of course it turned into what it actually had a use for- fraud and money laundering.

No one cares about these stupid apes, or pixilated rocks, or whatever. These are just commodities that can be used as vehicles for fraud (running pump and dump schemes and market manipulation for FOMO-induced degenerate gamblers) or as a simple medium to easily launder money across international boundaries.

It makes perfect sense.

Like many other things in cryptoland (ok, all things) this started with a simple idea- that digital artists should be able to market and get compensation for their art. And of course it turned into what it actually had a use for- fraud and money laundering.

No one cares about these stupid apes, or pixilated rocks, or whatever. These are just commodities that can be used as vehicles for fraud (running pump and dump schemes and market manipulation for FOMO-induced degenerate gamblers) or as a simple medium to easily launder money across international boundaries.
ok yes in that regard it makes total sense.

ok yes in that regard it makes total sense.
A beginner's guide to how to make $1M with an NFT and almost no effort

(this is not financial advice and I would absolutely NOT do this [but LA Doc might]. This is only one of MANY ways to do this)

1. Draw some crap. Literally, it can be anything. It doesn't matter. How about a rock, like this one?

2. Create NFT tokens for it. Set your price so that the total amount of the NFT token value is $1M (or whatever you want it to be!)

3. Have $1M, or $1M "worth" of crypto. Also, it helps to market your NFT in some public forum, like this one. Create an anonymous account at a trading desk there. If you don't have $1M, get your friends and family to pitch in- make sure you tell them you have an amazing opportunity to make free money that can't possibly fail. Make sure you never actually pay them back though, because if they are dumb enough to fall for this, then they don't deserve the cash.

4. Buy your own NFT tokens for $1M worth of Eth from yourself. This is also called a "wash trade". This sets the market rate for your garbage NFT that you have no legal rights to (except that you do because you drew it originally, but no one has to know that!)

5. Now you have $1M in crypto you gave yourself, and a crappy picture's NFT tokens worth $1M. Congrats! You just created $1M out of thin air!!!

6. Sell the NFT tokens to suckers at whatever rate you can. They will all think it is a steal if less than what you paid, and are "buying the dip", when really they are getting fleeced by you!!! You are so smart- you should rub it in their dumb faces. Hire some schmucks to talk about how great your NFT is on YouTube. Maybe the price will MOOOOOON!!!!!!

If that seems like too much work and can't be bothered to pick up a pencil, just get a job at the NFT trading firm above, and then Pump and Dump other people's crap like they did.

7. Spend your winnings wisely and always look over your shoulder.

If you guys are interested, I can teach you other great ways to make money with NFTs!!!!! (serious note, don't do any of these things even if they are surefire ways of making money these days, because it is all entirely not super kosher).

Members don't see this ad :)
A beginner's guide to how to make $1M with an NFT and almost no effort

(this is not financial advice and I would absolutely NOT do this [but LA Doc might]. This is only one of MANY ways to do this)

1. Draw some crap. Literally, it can be anything. It doesn't matter. How about a rock, like this one?

2. Create NFT tokens for it. Set your price so that the total amount of the NFT token value is $1M (or whatever you want it to be!)

3. Have $1M, or $1M "worth" of crypto. Also, it helps to market your NFT in some public forum, like this one. Create an anonymous account at a trading desk there. If you don't have $1M, get your friends and family to pitch in- make sure you tell them you have an amazing opportunity to make free money that can't possibly fail. Make sure you never actually pay them back though, because if they are dumb enough to fall for this, then they don't deserve the cash.

4. Buy your own NFT tokens for $1M worth of Eth from yourself. This is also called a "wash trade". This sets the market rate for your garbage NFT that you have no legal rights to (except that you do because you drew it originally, but no one has to know that!)

5. Now you have $1M in crypto you gave yourself, and a crappy picture's NFT tokens worth $1M. Congrats! You just created $1M out of thin air!!!

6. Sell the NFT tokens to suckers at whatever rate you can. They will all think it is a steal if less than what you paid, and are "buying the dip", when really they are getting fleeced by you!!! You are so smart- you should rub it in their dumb faces. Hire some schmucks to talk about how great your NFT is on YouTube. Maybe the price will MOOOOOON!!!!!!

If that seems like too much work and can't be bothered to pick up a pencil, just get a job at the NFT trading firm above, and then Pump and Dump other people's crap like they did.

7. Spend your winnings wisely and always look over your shoulder.

If you guys are interested, I can teach you other great ways to make money with NFTs!!!!! (serious note, don't do any of these things even if they are surefire ways of making money these days, because it is all entirely not super kosher).
]
Visa, MasterCard, Goldman Sachs, Shopify are all in the crypto space. If you aren’t invested in it that’s your choice. Big name companies are.

Not financial advice. Do your own due diligence.

CE1E21D9-CE2E-475F-BE8A-014EA8B5FD38.png

Last edited:
Forgot to mention. Gary Gensler the SEC Chairman was teaching blockchain technology and Crypto at MIT before taking his position so crypto is going nowhere.

His videos are on YouTube.

Last edited:
]
Visa, MasterCard, Goldman Sachs, Shopify are all in the crypto space. If you aren’t invested in it that’s your choice. Big name companies are.

Not financial advice. Do your own due diligence.

View attachment 344027

I think we've found our mark.

Visa and Mastercard are finding ways of fleecing the Rubes. Goldman sees retail as fish, and they are the sharks. Nothing stops them from eating your retail $$ at whim since no regulations are in place.

You're looking at it wrong.

An NFT can be anything.

Your house deed can be an NFT on the blockchain. You can fractionalize real estate with NFTs. You can transfer it without a middle man. You can do what you will.

If you have an expensive piece of art in your home, only visitors see it. If it's on the blockchain, the whole universe sees it. People like that (hence facebook)

The metaverse is coming and NFTs will be a huge part of it. I wouldn't sleep on this.

ENS Domains could be the next .com boom.

Ethereum sign-in is coming and it's going to take over.

Signed by: Decentralization maxi

Forgot to mention. Gary Gensler the SEC Chairman was teaching blockchain technology and Crypto at MIT before taking his position so crypto is going nowhere.

His videos are on YouTube.
His job is to slow everything down because he's get paid by banks. He can't however, stop this movement.

If you're not in crypto right now, yngmi.

His job is to slow everything down because he's get paid by banks. He can't however, stop this movement.
Agree decentralized finance will crush big banks.

“ Google and Facebook dominated the first two versions of the internet by creating, or organizing, everything that now exists on it, while decentralized finance and cryptocurrencies are part of the next stage of the evolution to what is known as Web 3.0, he said. The problem with Big Tech's dominance of the internet, according to him, is that it's down to two companies.”

Last edited:
You're looking at it wrong.

An NFT can be anything.

Your house deed can be an NFT on the blockchain. You can fractionalize real estate with NFTs. You can transfer it without a middle man. You can do what you will.

If you have an expensive piece of art in your home, only visitors see it. If it's on the blockchain, the whole universe sees it. People like that (hence facebook)

The metaverse is coming and NFTs will be a huge part of it. I wouldn't sleep on this.

ENS Domains could be the next .com boom.

Ethereum sign-in is coming and it's going to take over.

BC4A3E63-D57B-4317-8516-7C96279521D6.jpeg

Let's hope the decentralized metaverse wins. Not FB.

Please explain how art is more accessible and "the universe can see it" because of a blockchain? I think what you mean is you can sell fractional shares of an item that is neither redeemable nor enforceable on a distributed ledger.

If you want to share artwork with the world you don't need NFTs to do it- you can just take a picture of it.

I'm sure there are real world applications to decentralized ledgers, but this hardly seems to be one.

Wonderful example of how desperate people are to “get rich” except they refuse to do it the proven way because it requires time and self discipline. Seems lots of Docs have the idea that they have already spent too much time and devoted too much self discipline so now they deserve access to the ( unproven and outrageously risky) scams.
Folks, remember musical chairs? Well, this is musical chairs with millions of people and a handful of chairs.
This is an EXCELLENT system for those who get a chair.

Wonderful example of how desperate people are to “get rich” except they refuse to do it the proven way because it requires time and self discipline. Seems lots of Docs have the idea that they have already spent too much time and devoted too much self discipline so now they deserve access to the ( unproven and outrageously risky) scams.
Folks, remember musical chairs? Well, this is musical chairs with millions of people and a handful of chairs.
I am not saying there aren't scams out there. There are millions!!! but if you're ignoring the fact that this technology has incredible utility that will change the way we do things, then I have to disagree. To me this is not a get rich quick... it's simply a call to learn and adapt for what's coming.

I have more rental properties than most people could wish for. I'm already winning... by a lot.

Please explain how art is more accessible and "the universe can see it" because of a blockchain? I think what you mean is you can sell fractional shares of an item that is neither redeemable nor enforceable on a distributed ledger.

If you want to share artwork with the world you don't need NFTs to do it- you can just take a picture of it.

I'm sure there are real world applications to decentralized ledgers, but this hardly seems to be one.
Sure, but someone who owns a Punk and can prove it with the blockchain (verification coming soon to twitter), will have a lot more leverage, clout, and power, than someone who can't prove it. The power of marketing. The future is digital, in all senses.

Bored ape yacht club is not just a picture. It's a passport. If you right click save, your passport is invalid. People pay to belong, they always have and always will.

There are decentralized social media sites. The only way to be a part of them.... connect your ethereum wallet AND own an NFT (right click save doesn't count). Sound familiar? when Facebook started, you had to be a part of a top 10 school. Look at facebook now.

All I'm saying is don't ignore what's happening in front of us. Read, learn and don't fall for the scams.

Sure, but someone who owns a Punk and can prove it with the blockchain (verification coming soon to twitter), will have a lot more leverage, clout, and power, than someone who can't prove it. The power of marketing. The future is digital, in all senses.
Literally nothing you say here makes any sense.

How does "owning" a ledger entry as a fractional token of a "punk" (useless terrible sprite drawing) result in "leverage, clout, and power"? This to me seems like a half-assed rationale to explain away the obvious fraud perpetrated on anyone who bought one of these useless things. By the way, please explain how having a token of a "punk" entitles you to anything, whatsoever. You "own" nothing except a database entry.

I see a lot of hand waiving to justify your FOMO. In the end there will be a lot of bag holders. I hope you are not one of them.

Thanks for worrying about me. I do not own any of them. I do own a **** ton of eth though. I will also own NFTs when then right time/utility comes.

Web 3 is here to stay, NFTs are here to stay, Eth is here to stay.

Read more, it WILL make sense.

Let's revisit this thread in a couple years :)

This--the "decentralization" garbage--is what I think when people flame the FOMO of NFTs and crypto. People wanting to disrupt the system; meme stocks; WallStreet bets / AMC / GameStop; Dogecoin; and now NFTs...I admit it has strength in numbers, but I still don't g.a.s. about "sleeping on it" because I don't want "the system" disrupted. I'm not buying GameStop, crypto or NFTs because a bunch of other people are trying to disrupt the system or "decentralize" the financial markets.

I'll only start worrying about them when Jeff Bridges starts chasing me around on a digital bike.

That's what people said about the internet when it started... just saying

This--the "decentralization" garbage--is what I think when people flame the FOMO of NFTs and crypto. People wanting to disrupt the system; meme stocks; WallStreet bets / AMC / GameStop; Dogecoin; and now NFTs...I admit it has strength in numbers, but I still don't g.a.s. about "sleeping on it" because I don't want "the system" disrupted. I'm not buying GameStop, crypto or NFTs because a bunch of other people are trying to disrupt the system or "decentralize" the financial markets.

I'll only start worrying about them when Jeff Bridges starts chasing me around on a digital bike.
I’ll just say this. If I bought a crap load of Bitcoin or Tesla years ago, I wouldn’t be working nor would I be posting on here. I’d prob be on a yacht somewhere in the Bahamas. This isn’t a get rich quick scheme. It will take YEARS.

There’s a risk in everything. I’m sure there are people who thought a young man by the name of Elon Musk (a disruptor) was crazy when he put an electric battery into a car. Now the same people think he’s a genius, a real life Tony Stark, and are beating their heads for not buying Tesla stock years ago. Now everyone is thinking he’s crazy that he’s going to build Robotaxis (along with other competitors like Google’s Waymo) self driving driverless taxis that will pick you up and take you to your destination.

Now, guess what…countries are planning to go 100% electric in the next ten years.

Do the research. If you believe in the technology then invest. If not then just invest in index funds like Vanguard (nothing wrong with that). If you believe in the technology and invest in it, you might end up like this guy….a guy who didn’t do it the “proven way” but now smiling from “ear to ear”.

There were many chairs available in the risky Tesla musical chair game. It’s whether you played or not which mattered. He played, got a chair and won. There were many others as well that won. There were those that never played because they thought it was an unproven technology and lost out.

1BDBC399-EB1A-41DE-A49D-6B17C7CD2508.jpeg

If you do your research and make a concentrated bet, you could leave Pathology altogether and be on a beach somewhere in Hawaii while miserable sobs are complaining about the Pathology job market on SDN.

Again it’s going to take years and it’s not a get rich scheme like a pump and dump.

Last edited:
💯

Betting against crypto is betting against technology and some of the brightest minds all over the world.

This world just gets more and more bizarre by the day. I'm only 47 but I feel like I'm 97.

This world just gets more and more bizarre by the day. I'm only 47 but I feel like I'm 97.
Read up on Elon Musks startup Neuralink. It’s getting bizarre. We are at the beginning of a new Industrial Revolution. AI, genomics, blockchain, AR/VR….exciting times indeed.

Neuralink, a company trying to develop high-bandwidth brain implants that can communicate with phones and computers.

Last edited:
Read up on Elon Musks startup Neuralink. It’s getting bizarre. We are at the beginning of a new Industrial Revolution. AI, genomics, blockchain, AR/VR….exciting times indeed.

Neuralink, a company trying to develop high-bandwidth brain implants that can communicate with phones and computers.

Neuralink is looking for a pathologist!

a veterinary pathologist, unfortunately.

NFTs are going to eat the world:
$50B art
$74B music
$167B gaming
$373B collectibles
$6,682B intellectual property $10,539B real estate

If this is all over the place, I already have my little piece of it just like quantum and nano and gold and buildings and oil and steel and Chevys. I just diversify on a much larger scale in everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, crypto will be banned (China) or over regulated which is right in the USA’s wheelhouse.

Dunning Kruger in full effect here.

Even doctors are not immune from greed and lack of critical thinking. Put the same effort you put into understanding disease into understanding economic principles and how these things work.

What problem does crypto solve? What does it do, right now, better than other existing systems?

I'll save you the time- nothing. It's a solution in search of a problem. If you don't see it, that's on you. Do the "research". That does not mean listen to 18 YO shills on YouTube.

Even doctors are not immune from greed and lack of critical thinking. Put the same effort you put into understanding disease into understanding economic principles and how these things work.

What problem does crypto solve? What does it do, right now, better than other existing systems?

I'll save you the time- nothing. It's a solution in search of a problem. If you don't see it, that's on you. Do the "research". That does not mean listen to 18 YO shills on YouTube.
💯

Betting against crypto is betting against technology and some of the brightest minds all over the world.
The information is out there and no my source is not from 18 yo shills on YouTube.

Panama, El Salvador and Ukraine are adopting Bitcoin. I guess these countries entirely “lack critical thinking” and “do not understand economic principles” as well.

Last edited:

Crypto solves the problem of moving illegal money internationally.