Be Prepared: Externships are the Start of Residency Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Dr. Pehde and Dr. Campbell discuss considerations in externship selection and how they influence residency placement and why to be prepared early in the latest Podiatry Today Blog.

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.28.11 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
my advice to students on externships:

1. Be on time/don't miss clinic/cases.
2. Work hard.
3. Make residents/attendings life easier.
4. Have a personality/be normal.

How you talk to patients/MA's/scrub tech/nurses are all noticed and a person who is normal and easy to be around ranks higher than someone who can name me the classification for ______

Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've observed in my clerkships, most of the students I've worked with are helpful, sociable, and functional in the OR. My potential interviews are either completely social or 50/50 social and academic. How do programs differentiate good students from each other?

I've observed in my clerkships, most of the students I've worked with are helpful, sociable, and functional in the OR. My potential interviews are either completely social or 50/50 social and academic. How do programs differentiate good students from each other?
likability, attractiveness, connections.

like any other job.

@air bud somehow got a good residency and he's hideous. so don't fret if you're low on the attraction scale.

• Haha
Its more obvious than you think.

We remember how worked hard and who didn't, who was nice to both patients/staff and who was only sucking up.

Its very obvious when you are on the other side.

Reactions: 1 user
likability, attractiveness, connections.

like any other job.

@air bud somehow got a good residency and he's hideous. so don't fret if you're low on the attraction scale.
Also the ability to get along with everyone on the team. If a student creates a conflict with a resident or another student, that is a red flag. Even if you're right, just be a team player during your externship.

Reactions: 1 users
Dr Pehde is a stud. Taught me a significant amount during and after residency. Tremendous value add to San Antonio.
Concur... however, the first tip for externs is still to not read Podiatry Today... or PM News... or any throw away journal.

So, basically just read FAI and JFAS. :)

Concur... however, the first tip for externs is still to not read Podiatry Today... or PM News... or any throw away journal.

So, basically just read FAI and JFAS. :)
I'm going to personally work hard to change that. My blogs will start going up next month, and I will be doing Podcasts for them 100% targeted at students/residents/new practitioners. I know you don't know me, but I don't BS, and I don't hold back calling people out. I encourage everyone to take a look if you have the time eventually. If you disagree with what I say on those blogs/podcasts, I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flip side to this is that residencies are also being interviewed in this process. Yes, students should do all of the above, but with the over abundance of residencies now, residents and attendings should also strive to attract the best of the best. Didn't we just have a post where a resident treated a student like crap? There is NO WAY this should be going on in this day and age. We are all people making our way through the world. There are enough idiots and people out there with no qualms about treating other like crap because they think they can. That needs to stop. I hate to say I am hearing about that from people in my own generation, and it sickens me. Be kind. Be polite. Be helpful. Be educational. Leave the at the door.

Also the ability to get along with everyone on the team. If a student creates a conflict with a resident or another student, that is a red flag. Even if you're right, just be a team player during your externship.

So why are residents allowed to do this with no recourse? If the student is right, that should be commended and encouraged. If resident's can't accept or encourage that, THEY should be the ones reprimanded. We all can learn from each other. I've been an attending for over 20 years, and I still learn from the residents I've helped train. It is one of the most rewarding things about practice for me. Working with the younger guys that not only keep me on my toes academically and in the OR, but teach me as well.

Reactions: 1 user
So why are residents allowed to do this with no recourse? If the student is right, that should be commended and encouraged. If resident's can't accept or encourage that, THEY should be the ones reprimanded. We all can learn from each other. I've been an attending for over 20 years, and I still learn from the residents I've helped train. It is one of the most rewarding things about practice for me. Working with the younger guys that not only keep me on my toes academically and in the OR, but teach me as well.

That's actually one of my favorite residency questions. "What are you going to teach me while you're here?" I also believe we can all learn from everyone and I want people that will contribute to the program, not just take from it.

My comment was not about structured, supervised, academics, where science is science. Just if you're a student and alone with a resident (on rounds, etc.) and you think the resident is wrong, it's not worth an argument. Not everyone can handle being challenged by a subordinate and you don't know how that will turn out and you don't want to be seen as the one who can't get along with others.

That's actually one of my favorite residency questions. "What are you going to teach me while you're here?" I also believe we can all learn from everyone and I want people that will contribute to the program, not just take from it.

My comment was not about structured, supervised, academics, where science is science. Just if you're a student and alone with a resident (on rounds, etc.) and you think the resident is wrong, it's not worth an argument. Not everyone can handle being challenged by a subordinate and you don't know how that will turn out and you don't want to be seen as the one who can't get along with others.

I hear what you're saying, but the bolded is exactly the problem. This isn't about academia. It's about a real live human being that can be affected by poor decision making. It's not about "getting along". It's about doing what's best for the patient. If a resident can't take that kind of nudge from a "subordinate", that's a problem in and of itself. Now certainly there are ways to get the message across without confrontation, but that's a skill in and of itself. We need to teach community, rather than hierarchy.