Be prepared for a bunch of touchy feely nonsense in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Socrates25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell this cancer has spread far and wide.

Hopkins started doing it in the early 2000s.

The simulated patient encounters started to change. Instead of focusing on good patient communication and history/physical skills, it became an exercise in "feelings"

Example: during a simulated patient interview in front of the entire class, one of my colleagues was taken to task by a gay "patient" because the student shook his hand instead of giving the guy a hug. The "patient" stated something to the effect of "by just offering me your hand and not giving me a hug you made me feel alienated"

I almost burst out laughing amidst the entire auditorium. What a joke!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
You can't satisfy everyone. People should do what feels most comfortable for them. The only time I give hugs is after giving out bad news, so receiving a hug from me is usually a very poor prognostic indicator.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
You can't satisfy everyone. People should do what feels most comfortable for them. The only time I give hugs is after giving out bad news, so receiving a hug from me is usually a very poor prognostic indicator.
*hugs spouse*
*spouse becomes terrified as they realize the implications*

For real though, to the OP...Show some empathy, but this does sound like a joke.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we supposed to be mind readers?

I guess now doctors will have to ask if patients prefer a hug or hand shake.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess now doctors will have to ask if patients prefer a hug or hand shake.

Or a nice, big smooch on the bum.

As they say, the patient is always right! What are physicians if not glorified Walmart customer service counter clerks?

Here’s to hoping radiology doesn’t go defunct in my lifetime I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
When patients try to hug me I turn into ****ing Neo from the Matrix. If you saw my meth’d out, c diffy, diabetic yeasty patient population you’d probably dodge that bullet too.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Been practicing 23 years. Never once hugged a patient. Don’t plan to.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
maybe it’s my ignorance but does anyone else find the growing list if pronouns a bit overdone?

For even the supplementary app,
The dropdown menus have everything from

He
She
They
Etc
“Other”

What would the “other” entail?
In the future we will all just refer to each other in numerical values to ensure inclusivity

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
This has already weakened undergrad education across the country what made you think it wouldn’t also begin to take hold at grad schools?

When people on campuses across the
country are too afraid that voicing their favor for a political party because it will make them a social pariah and or target for professors to blackball, it’s time to realize there is a problem. As a lifelong Democrat who voted for Hillary in 2016 I can’t believe some of the things that have happened to friends just for holding conservative views on some issues.
I mean...Clinton is still dropping bodies like Epstein. I think it is safe to stay quite about supporting Hillary /s

• Haha
maybe it’s my ignorance but does anyone else find the growing list if pronouns a bit overdone?

He
She
They
Etc
“Other”

In the future we will all just refer to each other in numerical values to ensure inclusivity
It's your ignorance.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
As far as I can tell this cancer has spread far and wide.

Hopkins started doing it in the early 2000s.

The simulated patient encounters started to change. Instead of focusing on good patient communication and history/physical skills, it became an exercise in "feelings"

Example: during a simulated patient interview in front of the entire class, one of my colleagues was taken to task by a gay "patient" because the student shook his hand instead of giving the guy a hug. The "patient" stated something to the effect of "by just offering me your hand and not giving me a hug you made me feel alienated"

I almost burst out laughing amidst the entire auditorium. What a joke!
Let's not equate changing standards for simulated patient interviews to cancer... I agree with you that the situation is weird, though. I wouldn't want my doctor to hug me.

Reactions: 4 users
on second thought I’m going to leave this thread before I get banned

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Let's not equate changing standards for simulated patient interviews to cancer... I agree with you that the situation is weird, though. I wouldn't want my doctor to hug me.

Using the word cancer to refer to something deleterious that spreads through an organization is an extremely common turn of phrase that has been around for a long time.

Using the word cancer to refer to something deleterious that spreads through an organization is an extremely common turn of phrase that has been around for a long time.
I thought @EmbryonalCarcinoma's comment was more about equating teaching empathy to students as a "cancer" (since incorporating empathy into SP encounters in general is not actually a bad thing...) and less about the use of the word cancer as a metaphor

I thought @EmbryonalCarcinoma's comment was more about equating teaching empathy to students as a "cancer" (since incorporating empathy into SP encounters in general is not actually a bad thing...) and less about the use of the word cancer as a metaphor
It's both, honestly. Just because it's common practice to use cancer as a metaphor doesn't mean it's in good taste.

Reactions: 1 user

He
She
They
Etc
“Other”

1565532979448.png

That's this year's AMCAS (no I haven't submitted yet, don't judge me, still waiting for my MCAT score). If you think I'm calling you those things I also have some essential oils that will cure ebola that you might be interested.

It's both, honestly. Just because it's common practice to use cancer as a metaphor doesn't mean it's in good taste.

It’s not in poor taste. It’s a literary device that in no way is marginalizing patients with cancer. It is literally just a metaphor that is very apt when it is used appropriately. Now whether you think teaching empathy is an appropriate context in which to use said metaphor is a different story. But the phrase itself is not offensive unless you choose to be offended by it.

To keep this more on topic, I actually think teaching empathy is important since a lot of people seem to be lacking in those skills. But there is a limit just like there’s a limit with anything. Failing someone because they didn’t give a patient a hug is ridiculous.

It’s not in poor taste. It’s a literary device that in no way is marginalizing patients with cancer. It is literally just a metaphor that is very apt when it is used appropriately. Now whether you think teaching empathy is an appropriate context in which to use said metaphor is a different story. But the phrase itself is not offensive unless you choose to be offended by it.
Have you had cancer? No? That might be why you're not offended by it.

Equating a minor or trivial inconvenience to cancer is insensitive. The given example is especially silly.

Equating a minor or trivial inconvenience to cancer is insensitive. The given example is especially silly.

You seem like a fun person to be around.

• Love

No I haven’t. My wife, my mom, my grandfather, and my sister have though. Still not offended, and neither are they.

Oh, I forgot my really good friend has too. Very young and a bad cancer. Made his callsign about it.

That is exactly my point. The metaphor itself is not inherently offensive. This particular use may be due to the context, but that isn’t the same thing. FWIW I agree with you there.

The metaphor itself is not inherently offensive.
I agree. Comparing something truly atrocious (or even just bad) to cancer is not offensive to me.

But I have had cancer and having people trivialize it isn’t fun and happens more than you’d think. And I have friends in the cancer community who feel similarly.

I agree. Comparing something truly atrocious (or even just bad) to cancer is not offensive to me.

But I have had cancer and having people trivialize it isn’t fun and happens more than you’d think. And I have friends in the cancer community who feel similarly.

Yeah I totally agree with you there. I think we were talking past each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.