Be realistic with me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyrusJS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why won't you consider DO? Just wondering. Your stats could certainly get you into MD especially with those ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's one of those "foreign dad complexes" where he pays my bills, but he expects his kid to be an MD. I also want to do general surgery, so finding residencies for that as a DO could prove very difficult.

Is he going foot the bill for medical school, or does he just pay your bills right now?

If you have a potential free ride to MD school, I'd say retake and crush the MCAT, and apply next year.... If your parents aren't going to pay for it, go DO this year.

Historically, your chances at MD with that MCAT is about 20%. Do you have a lot of experience volunteering with your underserved, rural community?

Reactions: 1 users
Your MCAT will keep you out of MD schools, even your own state schools.

Beggars can't be choosy.

3.55GPA

Chem/Phys: 27-42%
CARS: 82-97%
Bio: 39-54%
Pych/Soc: 61-76%
Overall: 51-61% (or about a 26 or 27 on old MCAT)

From an medically underserved community, and I made it very clear I want to do rural health.

My EC's are really really good. Two years research, 600 hours shadowing, study abroad, honors college, leadership roles, etc.

I refuse to do D.O. My instate med schools are UofL (3.6 GPA, 30 MCAT) & UK (3.7GPA, 32 MCAT).

Any other schools I should consider? Do I have a realistic chance? I feel like if I can get my foot in the door, my EC's and interview skills will help me get in.

To some degree, yes. My community is rural, so my hospice & hospital volunteering (about 100 hours) would be considered rural. My study abroad was in rural India for two months, where we helped those who didn't have access to health care. And I am currently participating in a Rural Health Scholars program with my University that is through a state rural health initiative.

I think it is imperative that someone warn you not to overestimate your ECs. Yours sound strong, but not outstanding to the point of carrying your application.

Reactions: 1 user
It's one of those "foreign dad complexes" where he pays my bills, but he expects his kid to be an MD. I also want to do general surgery, so finding residencies for that as a DO could prove very difficult.

Your dad doesn't know anything about what it takes to get into MD and you don't know anything about DOs making general surgery... Get a better mcat or get over yourself and apply DO

Reactions: 2 users
What's your sGPA? Your MCAT is very low for MD and your listed GPA is bit below average for MD. Your chances aren't good for MD no matter what your parents say. You really need to spend some time reading up on the DO schools. You just might be surprised at what you can do with a DO degree. And then share with your parents.

Reactions: 1 user