Beard in primary application headshots - bad idea to shave before interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonehead11

Job’s not finished.
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a full beard, that is well kept. I had a beard in my headshots that I attached to my primary app. I have some interviews lined up, but I have been wanting to shave for a while. My question is would it be a bad idea to look different than my headshots, or should I just wait until after interviews are over to start having a clean-shaven look? Would it be smartest to just appear the same as I look in my headshots and just trim it lower for the time being?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply. So you do not think it will impact me negatively to appear significantly different than I do in my TMDSAS primary photo?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. So you do not think it will impact me negatively to appear significantly different than I do in my TMDSAS primary ph
You are overthinking this. Shaving--and looking different than you do in your headshots--will not affect your chances of admission one iota.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a full beard, that is well kept. I had a beard in my headshots that I attached to my primary app. I have some interviews lined up, but I have been wanting to shave for a while. My question is would it be a bad idea to look different than my headshots, or should I just wait until after interviews are over to start having a clean-shaven look? Would it be smartest to just appear the same as I look in my headshots and just trim it lower for the time being?
I think you are over thinking this. Well-groomed is perfectly fine. Do as you will.

(It's not like you changed hair dye from platinum blonde to unicorn rainbow... no, this didn't happen at interviews, but I got really confused when meeting a friend...)

• Haha
I think you are over thinking this. Well-groomed is perfectly fine. Do as you will.

(It's not like you changed hair dye from platinum blonde to unicorn rainbow... no, this didn't happen at interviews, but I got really confused when meeting a friend...)
what happens if they look so different shaved that the interviewers think an impostor has shown up?
1692774139819.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I’ll go against the grain here. I had a well-groomed beard throughout my entire application cycle and never had any issues with it (e.g., got A’s at every school I interviewed at). For me, I found it helpful because it made me look more mature.

Now, if it’s all misshapen, scraggly, blotchy, etc., just shave it off.

• Wow
I’ll go against the grain here. I had a well-groomed beard throughout my entire application cycle and never had any issues with it (e.g., got A’s at every school I interviewed at). For me, I found it helpful because it made me look more mature.

Now, if it’s all misshapen, scraggly, blotchy, etc., just shave it off.
That doesn't actually go against the grain at all?

The OP says they want to shave, but are worried that if they do it will cause them problems. People have told them to shave or not based on their personal preferences.

That doesn't actually go against the grain at all?

The OP says they want to shave, but are worried that if they do it will cause them problems. People have told them to shave or not based on their personal preferences.
To some, it DOES go against the grain. I remember during my app cycle getting told to “just shave it” multiple times because a clean, shaven face looks “more professional.”

I guess I just misread OP’s post. My apologies! Tis the result of working ~80 hours this week on a sub-I.