-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Beards?
Started by pinkphiloyd
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I've had one (or some facial hair) since well before HS graduation, and have worked in some offices where beards were frowned upon (I shaved) and others where they were frequently encountered.
Shave it.
And then grow it back right after the interviews. In a perfect world this wouldn't be needed, but in my opinion, you'll gain a substantial edge from the interviewers who may look negatively upon a beard.
Shave it.
And then grow it back right after the interviews. In a perfect world this wouldn't be needed, but in my opinion, you'll gain a substantial edge from the interviewers who may look negatively upon a beard.
I would shave it off. It will grow back. If you can't part with it, then keep it short and well shapen.
I'd recommend getting a professional shave done to protect your skin. If you haven't shaven to the skin since junior high you're probably a bit rusty and the last thing you need is to have a distinct razor scab on your face.
Remember, always soak the hair first and use a soothing shaving cream and NEW razor--go for at least three blades but four is better.
I'd recommend getting a professional shave done to protect your skin. If you haven't shaven to the skin since junior high you're probably a bit rusty and the last thing you need is to have a distinct razor scab on your face.
Remember, always soak the hair first and use a soothing shaving cream and NEW razor--go for at least three blades but four is better.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Time for my interview. I'v sported a glorious, full length busshy beard since I was in junior high. DO I have to shave it? Like, Gone? Or can I just get it down to a normal, everyday, well maintained kind of normal thing. Input?
I have one... I kept it, although I try to keep it well maintained... and I have been accepted, so I do not think there is any discrimination against facial hair...
2
236116
for now, you should probably minimise it if you don't want to shave it totally.
afterwards... 😀
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Everett_Koop
afterwards... 😀
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Everett_Koop
I haven't met many Asians with facial hair. Good for you. 
(It obviously didn't affect you).

(It obviously didn't affect you).
I haven't met many Asians with facial hair. Good for you.
(It obviously didn't affect you).
Is this comment for me? If yes, well I am Indian...
Remember, always soak the hair first and use a soothing shaving cream and NEW razor--go for at least three blades but four is better.
Only three or four blades? Gillette's is at seven now 🙂 If that is not enough, I supposed you could glue two of them together for fourteen blades...
Oh ok, haha. Yeah, that makes sense then. A lot of my Indian friends have some form of a beard.Is this comment for me? If yes, well I am Indian...
Mach 3 blades are expensive enough... I can just imagine. But, in the name of med school interviews, its worth it.Only three or four blades? Gillette's is at seven now 🙂 If that is not enough, I supposed you could glue two of them together for fourteen blades...
Well, when I think of a beard, I think of full-on Santa Claus bushiness - I can see this being unfavorable, but your minimal facial hair is certainly fine.I have one... I kept it, although I try to keep it well maintained... and I have been accepted, so I do not think there is any discrimination against facial hair...
Yea, a tasteful, well maintained, non weird, nonthreatining beard is what I'm talking about here. The this is, I really feel I'd feel really uncomfortable if I just whacked it off. I'd feel...naked. No way I could concentrate.
Yea, a tasteful, well maintained, non weird, nonthreatining beard is what I'm talking about here. The this is, I really feel I'd feel really uncomfortable if I just whacked it off. I'd feel...naked. No way I could concentrate.
Yah and a person who I met at 2 of my interviews had a nice well maintained beard... I think he is doing fine...
Mach 3 blades are expensive enough... I can just imagine. But, in the name of med school interviews, its worth it.
Save-a-Blade works miracles.
I once challenged a friend to a beard off mine grew in patchy and I looked like Frederich Nietzsche's younger brother Fart
1
189362
Trim it down. If you get a trimmer (like a buzzer) a #3 or 4 clip should do you well. Also a bit more time consuming but scissors and a thin comb do the job right.
Nothing wrong with a well maintained beard - gives your charicter.
Nothing wrong with a well maintained beard - gives your charicter.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im currently growing my monster beard which will be removed at 6pm may 2nd after le mcat. solidarity purposes.
Is this comment for me? If yes, well I am Indian...
as you are well aware, our brothers on the eastern edge of the asian continent are unable to grow manly facial and chest hair
i love a man with facial hair. i can't see how, if it were 'neat' and not a 'super bush' it could work against you. you'll just look more distinguished, IMHO. like a man
👍
👍
Two of my classmates had a beard-growing competition... someone had handlebars, another had a neck beard (or "neard")... only lasted about a week 😛
Two of my classmates had a beard-growing competition... someone had handlebars, another had a neck beard (or "neard")... only lasted about a week 😛

have you been wearing a fake beard?
go for at least three blades but four is better.
What the hell are you talking about. Exactly ONE blade is the correct number. Double and more bladed razors are designed to simulate multiple shaving passes - they are tools of speed rather than effectiveness.
Ideal: One blade, three passes - one with the grain, one across, one against. It makes a baby's bottom feel like cheap sandpaper.
Unshaved = -1 on your MCAT & -.07 on your GPA.
I don't even remember posting this thread. Looks like I may have gotten out of bed and wandered around a bit after I took an Ambien last night! I'm appalled at my own spelling and grammar! Ha ha.
Beards are fine. You'll notice that a ton of faculty members at EVERY school have beards... so certainly facial hair can't be frowned upon, just as long as it's conservative.
As long as you don't do anything like this
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1220/1490869490_63b4aea6ed.jpg
or this
http://www.crucialminutiae.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/beard1.jpg
you should be in the clear.
As long as you don't do anything like this
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1220/1490869490_63b4aea6ed.jpg
or this
http://www.crucialminutiae.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/beard1.jpg
you should be in the clear.
those bearded faculty members have tenure and years of wisdom on their side.
I don't even remember posting this thread. Looks like I may have gotten out of bed and wandered around a bit after I took an Ambien last night! I'm appalled at my own spelling and grammar! Ha ha.
ha! creepy

As long as you don't do anything like this
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1220/1490869490_63b4aea6ed.jpg
or this
http://www.crucialminutiae.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/beard1.jpg
you should be in the clear.
and yeah.. i have to... agree?

this one's definitely out of the question too
http://www.rejectedjokes.com/picture_library/beard1.jpg
Time for my interview. I'v sported a glorious, full length busshy beard since I was in junior high. DO I have to shave it? Like, Gone? Or can I just get it down to a normal, everyday, well maintained kind of normal thing. Input?
You could grow a beard in junior high? Good God.
You could grow a beard in junior high? Good God.
Seriously....You must have been showing up all the less manly classmates at recess.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At my last interview, already having an acceptance to the school of my choice under my belt, I decided to go to it, beard and all.
8 weeks later, acceptance in the mail, no mention of the beard.
At another interview I went to, a guy was sporting the haven't shaven in a couple days look. It didn't look too unprofessional though... But i would just choose one or the other: shave or not. Id say you can get by with a 4 or 5 with the guard trimmer, and clean up your neck.
Just a note though...in the photo I submitted, I went beardless.
8 weeks later, acceptance in the mail, no mention of the beard.
At another interview I went to, a guy was sporting the haven't shaven in a couple days look. It didn't look too unprofessional though... But i would just choose one or the other: shave or not. Id say you can get by with a 4 or 5 with the guard trimmer, and clean up your neck.
Just a note though...in the photo I submitted, I went beardless.
I've kept my beard for all of my interviews and had good results. Be sure to shave your neck up to your jaw line and get a beard and mustache trimmer. My trimmer has 5 lengths, but I usually use 1 or 2. The only thing is that it might take a little time to figure out how to make it look good, so be willing to shave it all off if you mess up.
At my last interview, already having an acceptance to the school of my choice under my belt, I decided to go to it, beard and all.
8 weeks later, acceptance in the mail, no mention of the beard.
At another interview I went to, a guy was sporting the haven't shaven in a couple days look. It didn't look too unprofessional though... But i would just choose one or the other: shave or not. Id say you can get by with a 4 or 5 with the guard trimmer, and clean up your neck.
Just a note though...in the photo I submitted, I went beardless.
lol... did you expect the letter to say something like, "Congratulations! But buy yourself a pack of razors if you decide to come here." ?
lol... did you expect the letter to say something like, "Congratulations! But buy yourself a pack of razors if you decide to come here." ?
Ha! no, of course not, I was just being tongue in cheek. I just meant to imply that I don't think its a big deal if it looks professional.
Last edited:
Ha! no, of course not, I was just being tongue and cheek. I just meant to imply that I don't think its a big deal if it looks professional.
FYI: "Tongue in cheek"
Time for my interview. I'v sported a glorious, full length busshy beard since I was in junior high. DO I have to shave it? Like, Gone? Or can I just get it down to a normal, everyday, well maintained kind of normal thing. Input?
Well, I too have had facial hair ever since I could grow it. It wasn't intentional but it really has become an essential part of my physical appearance. I photoshopped a picture to see what I would look like without it... its just so weird.
If you are going to shave it, do it as soon as possible so that at least you don't feel so naked when its gone.
Also, there was some discussion about facial hair in another thread a while back. The poster there described his beard and dilemma; immediately some self-professed psychoanalyst showed up to explain to him all of the reasons why he had felt compelled to grow out his beard. Then there was another person that did the same to a guy with long(er) hair that was trying to decide what to do. All pr1cks in my opinion, but the point is that I would not want to come across such a person in the interview process. Maybe I am just overly sensitive to those comments...
Can you guys post pictures of what styles may be acceptable for an interview?
Would Johnny Depp's facial hair style be alright?
http://flashyourstache.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/johnny_depp_mustache.jpg
http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/19/depp_l.jpg
http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/rs/2...ary_10_2005_-_gallery_image_large.6862695.jpg
Would Johnny Depp's facial hair style be alright?
http://flashyourstache.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/johnny_depp_mustache.jpg
http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/19/depp_l.jpg
http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/rs/2...ary_10_2005_-_gallery_image_large.6862695.jpg
due to your facial hair we regret to inform you that you have not been accepted to your one and only school left on your pile of rejections. qed.
Can you guys post pictures of what styles may be acceptable for an interview?
Would Johnny Depp's facial hair style be alright?
http://flashyourstache.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/johnny_depp_mustache.jpg
http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/11/19/depp_l.jpg
http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/rs/2...ary_10_2005_-_gallery_image_large.6862695.jpg
Mmmmm Johnny Depp 😍
I'm actually not a big fan of facial hair, especially the goatee and mustache thing. That's just my personal opinion though.
It makes a baby's bottom feel like cheap sandpaper.
I've never understood these analogies. Who are all these people that think we feel baby bottoms enough to know what they feel like? And why the focus on the baby's bottom? I don't like it.
😀 Just a fun little rant.
As long as it looks well-groomed/neat, I'd say keep it.
Time for my interview. I'v sported a glorious, full length busshy beard since I was in junior high. DO I have to shave it? Like, Gone? Or can I just get it down to a normal, everyday, well maintained kind of normal thing. Input?
If your beard looks like this, you won't have a problem at all. 😀
2
236116
If your beard looks like this, you won't have a problem at all. 😀
![]()
asdfghjkl that man. ungh.
ditch the beard... keep the 'stache.
<-------
<-------
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
... a neck beard (or "neard")...
A few years ago, a friend had a trimmed beard down his neck. It was exactly the same length as his bushy chest hair which also went up his neck. They almoooooost met. Instead, he had a line in between.

2
202781
I shaved completely for my first 2 interviews
and got accepted to both schools
I did not shave and had stubble at my last 4 interviews (similar to <-----pic)
And I got accepted to 3 of the schools (and the other school has not made decisions yet)
I really dont think it matters as long as you do not have a bird nest in your beard
and got accepted to both schools
I did not shave and had stubble at my last 4 interviews (similar to <-----pic)
And I got accepted to 3 of the schools (and the other school has not made decisions yet)
I really dont think it matters as long as you do not have a bird nest in your beard
Ditch the beard, at least for the interviews👍