Become a PT without attending school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YogagirlOm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to become a PT - i.e. take a PT exam and may be needed practice sessions without attending a PT school and become certified?
Have an MBA and MS in different disciplines already, and Yoga Theraphy work from India, if it has taught me anything it is how to study for any subject on my own.
Anyone has done it or knows how to do it?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

"Each licensing authority (state) has established its own criteria for eligibility to sit for the PT and PTA examinations. At a minimum, the licensing authority must require that the candidate is a graduate of or graduating from a PT or a PTA program that meets the accreditation standards of the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) or is deemed substantially equivalent."

General Information | FSBPT

Short answer: no. I don't think there's a single state or US territory that would issue a license without graduating from a CAPTE-accredited institution. You need a sealed envelope that contains your transcripts signed by the registrar. There's no go-around.

Reactions: 1 users
as previously stated, its no. The only "get around" would be to go to a foreign PT school and pray they accept your transfer as a foreign PT. I think you under-estimate PT and what it entails because the 3 things you listed are fairly irrelevant when it comes to becoming a PT.

Reactions: 1 users