becoming a certified pharm tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chang242

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you who are certified pharm techs or have taken the PTCB exam, could you briefly tell me the topics covered, length of the exam, difficulty?

I plan to study on my own by getting a cd or book (maybe from pharmacytrainer.com?). Is it very difficult to pass the exam by studying independently? How much time and effort is needed for studying? I am a full-time undergrad student right now, so any information regarding the PTCB would be greatly appreciated. I also have no pharmacy experience.

PTCB.com only supplied me with stats of previous tests, etc and did not explain test details, such as length of time given, number of questions per topic, etc.

Also, I have found various sample questions on the web and saw questions asking about medications (side-effects, what not to combine, type of drug, etc). By studying on one's own, is it sufficient to pass that portion of the exam?

Sorry if this post was too lengthy. -.-

Members don't see this ad.

Easy, if you've worked in a pharmacy for 6 months and you are familiar with all laws and calculations you should be fine.

You will have plenty of time to finish it. The test is really easy, especially the math part...it's mostly simple ratio type questions. The other 2 sections are mostly common sense, with the exception of questions like, "Where is IV Lorazepam stored?". Those types of questions you either know from experience or you don't. But i don't think there are enough questions like that to keep you from passing the test...you only need 650 out of 900 points, and the math section should be a guaranteed 300 points (or close to it).

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
can u be certified without having any classes/training formal or informal?

the ptcb website says

You must have received a high school diploma, a GED, or the foreign equivalent by the application receipt deadline and have never been convicted of a felony to sit for the PTCB Examination.

Anyone can take the PTCB exam. You have to score 650 out of 900 on the exam and meet the requirements you just listed to be a certified pharmacy technician (CPhT). You don't have to take any formal classes or training to take the PTCB exam, but they might help you pass it.

I worked full time as a retail tech for 6 months and passed the PTCB exam with a score >800. However, since you only need a 650 i believe it's possible to pass the exam without having pharmacy experience, as long as you dominate the math section.

I took the exam when I was 17 (hadn't finished HS at that point) and it didn't matter.

again, anyone can take the exam. but to be a certified pharmacy technician you have to be a high school graduate. of course, unless you get chosen for auditing, PTCB would never know you were still in high school...

get the book written by Noah Reifman(amazon.com). Read it only 120 pages small size book.Do the practise tests as i found lot of questions on the actual test. Don't loose lot of sleep on the drug names and classification(only a few questions like 10). Know the math, laws,other stuff in that book. I studied a week before the test and got 750 no pharmacy experience at all.
Good luck.....

When is the next test date?

bsps_2007 said:
You will have plenty of time to finish it. The test is really easy, especially the math part...it's mostly simple ratio type questions. The other 2 sections are mostly common sense, with the exception of questions like, "Where is IV Lorazepam stored?". Those types of questions you either know from experience or you don't. But i don't think there are enough questions like that to keep you from passing the test...you only need 650 out of 900 points, and the math section should be a guaranteed 300 points (or close to it).

Hope this helps

Is pharmacology something to be worried about? Like, drug names, uses, combining them, etc?

some pharmacology is on there...but it's really easy stuff like "ibuprofen is used to treat what?" i had one drug interaction question on my exam, but it was the obvious "warfarin sodium and aspirin" question. so yes, there are some, but most are common knowledge and the ones that aren't won't prevent you from passing the exam...as long as you do well on the math section (and there is no reason not to).