Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
I currently volunteer as an EMTB/Firefighter in Maryland. Although my career goal is not to be a Paramedic, I do want to sometime soon get that certification. At my firestation, there are several volunteer paramedics and I'd really like to emulate them.
An EMT-B is not worthless by any means...but you feel kinda useless when you can only do so much compared to a Medic (EMT-I) or Paramedic (EMT-P).
Please do not lecture me on how important an EMT-B is. I know the saying "every ALS skill you learn, you lose one BLS skill" and I'm sure its true...and I know that I'm the primary provider for BLS on the ambulance and that i'm backing the medic up.
I've heard about UMBC's Paramedic program...but I was actually discouraged into becoming a career paramedic/firefighter...and instead told to pursue medicine (by the paramedics at my station!). Plus, I can't consider it b/c 2 years is a long time.
So, if you've stayed with me thus far, I was wondering if you guys knew of any programs in Maryland for Paramedicine that were less than 15 months long?
I'm smart and very capable of learning vast quantities of information in a short period of time...I've heard that there is 6 month programs. Is that true?
Remember also...I'm not interested in getting a paramedic license in effort to impress medical school admissions people (like some base people out there)...instead....I would like to volunteer for the rest of my life as the "doc" of the prehospital realm out in the field i.e. the most highly trained provider for my patients care.
Thanks
I currently volunteer as an EMTB/Firefighter in Maryland. Although my career goal is not to be a Paramedic, I do want to sometime soon get that certification. At my firestation, there are several volunteer paramedics and I'd really like to emulate them.
An EMT-B is not worthless by any means...but you feel kinda useless when you can only do so much compared to a Medic (EMT-I) or Paramedic (EMT-P).
Please do not lecture me on how important an EMT-B is. I know the saying "every ALS skill you learn, you lose one BLS skill" and I'm sure its true...and I know that I'm the primary provider for BLS on the ambulance and that i'm backing the medic up.
I've heard about UMBC's Paramedic program...but I was actually discouraged into becoming a career paramedic/firefighter...and instead told to pursue medicine (by the paramedics at my station!). Plus, I can't consider it b/c 2 years is a long time.
So, if you've stayed with me thus far, I was wondering if you guys knew of any programs in Maryland for Paramedicine that were less than 15 months long?
I'm smart and very capable of learning vast quantities of information in a short period of time...I've heard that there is 6 month programs. Is that true?
Remember also...I'm not interested in getting a paramedic license in effort to impress medical school admissions people (like some base people out there)...instead....I would like to volunteer for the rest of my life as the "doc" of the prehospital realm out in the field i.e. the most highly trained provider for my patients care.
Thanks