Becoming a Pharm Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyt0871

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting. I've been reading this forum for a while now, and I wanna say that its been extremely informational. Thank you!

I have a question about the requirements in becoming a pharm tech. I'm getting confusing info from different people - some say I have to goto school and take classes, others say that I just need to pass the PTCB test. Can somebody clarify this for me once and for all? I want to know what I need to do so that I can get started right away. Thanks a lot :)

Members don't see this ad.

Here in TX it's just a matter of passing the exam (not something anyone can just walk in and pass, there is plenty to learn for it). But I'm not sure if different states have different requirements.

Yeah i am kind of confused as well....

I read several people said they were able to study on their own and then pass the exam.

BTW, i live in cali.

Members don't see this ad :)
in california it used to be you work like 1500 hours and then your automatically a tech.
But then they killed that and now every tech i know has taken classes.

SO what about those that get hired part time ast CVS? I am looking to be hired as one and the guy never mentioned any classes. He said come back next week and we will talk.
p.s: i have a masters in biology already.

Hi,
I believe it depends on the state you are in and the availablility of pharmacy technician degree programs. For instance, I used to live in Pennsylvania. There were several pharm. tech associate degree programs nearby so most hospital pharmacies wanted and expected graduates from those programs. Now I live in Illinois and there are very few pharm tech. programs so no one expects a program graduate. I just got a retail pharm. tech job and I have noticed that the hospital pharm. tech advertisements prefer someone with experience and certification but are willing to train the inexperienced.

What I suggest is getting a retail pharmacy tech job and let them pay for you to become certified. Then you will have more freedom to obtain a pharmacy tech job wherever you live.

Thanks for responding :p Perhaps I should have given more details to my question when asking - hee! I live in Los Angeles and work for Rite Aid pharmacy as a clerk. I know they send people to classes (all paid for) but I was hoping to study the exam review book on my own and then just take and pass the test. I heard from a few people that that's what they did. Can somebody with knowledge for Cali requirements confirm this? Or if this is wrong - tell me what I do need to do? Thanks a lot ^--^

kyt brings up a very good point. I'd also like to know how hard the test is and whether someone with a BS in biology may feel ready to take the test w/o having to put long hours in the class or study for the test.

In California, passing a PTCB exam will qualify for your CPhT license.

I had no experience at a pharmacy, just bought a book at borders and studied for a month from it, and passed!

haha cool! looks like i can be a pharm tech in no time! :laugh: So after passing the test, I can apply officially for pharm tech positions rite? yayyy - hooray for higher pay :thumbup:

kyt0871 said:
haha cool! looks like i can be a pharm tech in no time! :laugh: So after passing the test, I can apply officially for pharm tech positions rite? yayyy - hooray for higher pay :thumbup:

I bought one of the book to study for the examination and it seems that it focus on pharmacology. Has anyone taken the exam and was pharmacology a big part of the test?

oink2655 said:
I bought one of the book to study for the examination and it seems that it focus on pharmacology. Has anyone taken the exam and was pharmacology a big part of the test?

I just took it on Saturday. 70% was math -- mainly know your conversions!!!

Cool. I am chem major, i do a lot of conversions....

It would be kind of boring if the job is doing conversions. It would like being a chem tutor again. lol

http://www.PassPTCB.com

info on becoming a CPhT

http://stores.ebay.com/Pass-PTCB-Study-Guides

place to buy study guides and preparation materials for the PTCB (PTCE) Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Exam.

offered by PTCB.org

Good Luck on passing the exam... I would reccommend these books for self-study:

1) The Pharmacy Technician 2nd Edition 2004 ISBN: 089582650X
2) Pharmacy Technician WorkBook & Certification Review ISBN: 0895826631
3) Pharmacy Calculations 2nd Edition ISBN: 0895826690
4) Sigler's Pharmacy (Prescription) Drug Cards 20/21st Edition great for learning top 200 to 300 drugs which they pick from on the PTCB exam...
You need to know Brand & Generic Names, Primary Indication (use), and Major side effects (adr = adverse drug reactions). ISBN: 1880579499

Mikeaparker gave great resources for studying & passing the exam. I posted yesterday on a similar thread the actual ways to become a tech in CA. The law changed Jan 2004. You might check that thread...you either have to pass the PTCB, take an approved set of classes or get an AA (ususally thru community colleges). Techs can no longer be "grandfathered". PM me if you need more specific CA info.

Mike,

Thanks very much for taking the time to give all of us such useful information,

Charles