Becoming a Physician Scientist: PhD-to-MD Student Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since this thread got bumped up, I've had a rash of people PMing me to ask if they should do PhD-to-MD as a backdoor way of getting a combined degree. I already said no to doing this 5.5 years ago. I still say no. If you're not competitive enough to get into an MD/PhD program, you should work toward getting into an MD or DO program, and then you can add on research training (PhD or research fellowship) later.

Members don't see this ad.

I think this thread needs an update.

As of 2018, there are several programs that are specially designed for PhD-to-MDs, including ones at Columbia, NYU, Vanderbilt, and Tulane (can't post the links because I'm too much of a lurker and my account needs to age).

Also, I think some of the advice has really stood the test of time, while other statements have not...In particular, I think the climate at some schools for PhDs coming back for an MD has changed some (for the better, in my personal experience meeting with adcoms (applying this upcoming cycle)).