becoming a pt/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktrieu05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i have lately been interested in becoming a pt and i just so happen to come across this forum. i'm current 17 and going to attend a university next year, declaring a major in kinesiology. is this the appropriate path for me if i want to become a pt? do most pt major in kinesiology? what are the amount of years that i should expect? do i need medical school? sorry for the lack of knowledge in this area but any feedback/advice on the best path i should take in becoming a pt would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

To become a pt is fairly easy. If you just eat a lot of fatty foods, don't exercise, and smoke/drink excessively, you'll become a pt before you know it.

No seriously, there is no specific major you need for PT school and you definitely don't need to go to medical school before PT school. Just pick a major you like, maintain a good g.p.a., research the schools you are interested in and make sure you take the prerequisite courses and shadowing they require, take the GRE and apply.

Kinesiology would definitely be a good major. It seemed like athletic trainers also had a slight advantage with the clinical aspect when I was in school. I went to PT school with a sociology degree.

Expect seven years of schooling total. 4 years undergraduate and 3 years of PT school. Good luck.

thanks! also those of you who are pt, from a first person point of view what are the pros and cons of the career?
what are your personal take on it?
what should i expect?