Becoming an EMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samtheman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does the licensing course take? Any suggestions in NYC of places to take the course?

Members don't see this ad.

How long does the licensing course take? Any suggestions in NYC of places to take the course?
See the link in my signature.....if you post your question there I would imagine you would get a lot better answers as FieldMedics has several members from the NY area.

This post is likely to start a war! Theres a debate whether being an EMT really gives you an advantage.

Personally i got my EMT and it was a great experience. I never worked in EMS, but during the course i learned alot for myself and my motivation for being a doctor, which med schools seemed to like when i talked about it during intervies.

Usually they take about 4-5 months, and mine was the easiest class ive ever taken in my life..

Hope this helps!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is something I hope to do aswell, in college station.
I figure it's the best way to gain patient experience, which is apparently a big thing that they look for at some schools.

If I can be of assistance to any of you with your EMT training (or if you just have any questions), feel free to PM me. I used to teach all levels of EMS students and clinically precept EMT-B and EMT-I students.

Dropkick, are you just trying to get to 6000 posts? haha youve already offered your help once on this topic!

6000 is quite impressive though, congrats

Dropkick, are you just trying to get to 6000 posts? haha youve already offered your help once on this topic!

6000 is quite impressive though, congrats
Thank you but I honestly didn't realize I had hit 6K posts. No I just directed the OP to the FieldMedic forums via the link. I didn't offer my direct help and felt compelled to. :D

Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center (Bronx, 233rd & Bronx Blvd)
6 1/2 months (Jan-July or July-Dec)
Monday & Wednesday 6:30-10:00pm

Saint Vincent Hospital (Manhattan, 7th ave & 12th)
I don't know much about this program, but I hear its good

Also Bronx Community College offers a course

sorry, wrong post
If you're working on an ALS unit (with an EMT-I or an EMT-P), chances are good most of the time you'll be driving. As for how to get on a crew, you basically have to look around your area and see what is available both in the form of volunteer rescue squads and volunteer fire departments, as well as paid ambulance services. The advantage to the former two is that you will actually see emergency cases. Also volunteer agencies are far more likely to run a three or even four person crew, which would allow you to actually do patient care, albeit at a basic level (hence "EMT-Basic").

I would suggest you check out FieldMedics (the link in my signature) and talk to the members on there as we probably have someone who would know more about the specifics for your area than I do.

I got mine from Emergency Care program (http://www.333care.com/about.html). They have a site in brooklyn near Avenue U and 12th st and a site in Manhatten.. somewhere. The brooklyn one has a great instructor. The EMTs that help with skills can be a bit... weird.

Only get the license if you plan on using it. Otherwise I wouldn't count on it to add some dazzle to your application.

Well yea, taking a class to become an EMT doesn't mean anything unless you use it. I'd say the class is at the same level or even below university lab courses.

Bottom line is it gives you the tools to get involved in clinical medicine and further investigate your motivations for pursuing it.

Bottom line is it gives you the tools to get involved in clinical medicine and further investigate your motivations for pursuing it.
"Get involved" is right. A lot of people might volunteer or shadow, but they don't have the training or certification to do some of the things we do and work the places we work.

Not saying we're better than anyone, but having the certification opens a lot of doors for you to get really good, hands-on experience in some great clinical settings.

I highly recommend it to anyone.

This post is likely to start a war! Theres a debate whether being an EMT really gives you an advantage.

Personally i got my EMT and it was a great experience. I never worked in EMS, but during the course i learned alot for myself and my motivation for being a doctor, which med schools seemed to like when i talked about it during intervies.

Usually they take about 4-5 months, and mine was the easiest class ive ever taken in my life..

Hope this helps!!!

Did you put this on your AMCAS? I heard med schools don't care about EMT certification if you don't use it.