Becoming an ER Tech is tough!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get on as an ER tech here in NC while I complete my undergraduate, and I tell you, being a good 'ol EMT-B just doesnt cut it anymore. The qualifications at my local hospital are either EMT-I or EMT-P, plus a CNA II. Or, just a CNAII. From what I've seen, it's not much different at other hospitals either.

What other jobs might be available in the ER that I, as an EMT-B, might qualify for? Is patient transporter really the only thing I can do? I'm willing to do it in order to get into the ER, but I was hoping for a little more hands-on that that.

Members don't see this ad.

I bet there is a smaller hospital somewhere nearby that doesn't have the CNAII requirement.
I worked as a tech, and had no training. I transferred from a transporter position. I didn't even have a BLS card yet.

I'd bet that you'd have better luck at a different hospital. The one I volunteer at asked me if I wanted to become an ER tech. They didn't really care that my cert's have expired. I think it will vary greatly depending on the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hearing just how lucky I was to get my position as a tech with only my Basic and no experience.

I second the smaller hospitals. And I find it odd that any hospital would turn down someone with a lot of experience -- especially prior experience as a tech (hence the smaller hospitals). In fact, the ED/trauma center that I work at requires experience prior to being hired, as well as an EMT, but is willing to make exceptions in the case of experience.

I bet there is a smaller hospital somewhere nearby that doesn't have the CNAII requirement.
I worked as a tech, and had no training. I transferred from a transporter position. I didn't even have a BLS card yet.

Ditto here!

There aren't a lot of small hospitals in the area. I live close to the interstate between Greensboro and Charlotte and it seems like it's basically a suburb the entire distance between the two cities. I applied to a hospital about 30 miles away today, but I might have to settle for a transporter job. :(