Beginning the process of applying to PT school! Where to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillyfan49

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just finished up my senior year of undergrad, and will be going back in the fall for one semester to get my degree in biological allied health sciences. I have a few questions about where to even begin the whole process of applying.

1) I attended two schools- one my freshman and sophomore year, and another my junior and senior year. My GPA during my first two years was bad, as I was a chem major and struggled. I was also in the hospital for over a week during midterm week of my hardest semester, taking Ochem and Calc, and ended up with C's in both. However, both are not prereqs, so will this kill me? Also at that school, I ended up with a B+ in chem 1, but a C+ in chem II. Basically, I messed around my first two years, but killed it my next two years at my second school where I focused on PT and did great in my biology courses and A & P courses. Will schools see this and notice I "matured" or will the C+ in chem II kill me? At my new school, I have found resounding success, with some of my upper level bio teachers telling me I am one of their best students.

2) How do I start this process. Where do I even begin with looking at schools to apply for? I would love to be near the coast (any schools?). I'm guessing it is best to apply first, then visit, right? Also, I am reallly really interested in the sports aspect of PT. Is that something I should take into account when applying, or just wait til after to get specialized?

3) When should I apply? I am planning on taking the GRE within the next month, but next semester I am doing an internship of about 125 hours. If I apply now in the summer, would i be able to add that in to my observation hours?

Any help is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha Desert. I was going to say the same but it felt a little mean. But seriously, lots of info on here already.

I would retake any classes with a C grade.

As far as how to get started . . .

Complete all your course prereqs.

Get your observation hours (yes you can fill in expected future hour completion).

Start thinking about your essay (WHY PT?)

You should apply as early as possible. It took me months to get my essay polished and my recommendations in.

As far as which schools, pick based on preference. I think it's as simple as that. There's the private vs state school debate and that's totally up to you. One cost more than the other so it's a financial decision. You can also decide based on geography. I chose to be close to home.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, I just finished up my senior year of undergrad, and will be going back in the fall for one semester to get my degree in biological allied health sciences. I have a few questions about where to even begin the whole process of applying.

1) I attended two schools- one my freshman and sophomore year, and another my junior and senior year. My GPA during my first two years was bad, as I was a chem major and struggled. I was also in the hospital for over a week during midterm week of my hardest semester, taking Ochem and Calc, and ended up with C's in both. However, both are not prereqs, so will this kill me?

Not sure about OChem but Calc is a pre-req course for some schools. Best way to be certain is to look on specific school websites or by contacting PT admissions' office.

C's in both

C+ in chem II

Take the Calc and Chem II over again or atleast Chem II. Having Cs lowers your pGPA significantly.

Will schools see this and notice I "matured" or will the C+ in chem II kill me?

No, having Cs does not kill an application. Many schools take a holistic approach when judging an application. Nova Southeastern comes to mind. If you have too many Cs then it can hinder your application. Can't tell without pGPA or cGPA info.

How do I start this process. Where do I even begin with looking at schools to apply for? I would love to be near the coast (any schools?). I'm guessing it is best to apply first, then visit, right? Also, I am reallly really interested in the sports aspect of PT. Is that something I should take into account when applying, or just wait til after to get specialized?

Many websites out there that can help you get started. One of which I utilized greatly was physicaltherapygraduate.com. Some have said this website has errors so it's good to check school websites regarding tuition info and admission requirements.
Another is http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/allprograms.aspx? listorder=institution&navID=10737426783.

3) When should I apply? I am planning on taking the GRE within the next month, but next semester I am doing an internship of about 125 hours. If I apply now in the summer, would i be able to add that in to my observation hours?

Did you finish most if not all your prereqs? Many schools have a strict policy of the number of incomplete prereq courses an applicant can have while applying. Again check specific school websites. However, if you wait for the next summer after your fall semester is completed, you will have about 6 months to prepare for the 2016-2017 cycle. Take the GRE and score 320 if possible. Check average GRE scores on the websites I listed for specific schools you wish to apply. Get in as many hours in various locations as possible (in patient, outpatient, acute, neuro, etc.). Get your letter of recommendations in order. Create a list of the professors and physical therapists you wish to ask. Professors are very busy so be sure to ask them in a timely manner. Then apply early as possible. I applied in august and got my first interview in September. If you have low GPA it is highly recommended to apply early.

Reactions: 1 user