Behavioral genetics vs regular genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg17

Reaction score
I heard that doing a genetics course can be helpful for prepping for the MCAT. Would doing behavioral genetics(major course requirement, not a lab course) be just as useful as doing regular genetics(lab course, not a major requirement)?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you’d probably want to look at the course syllabus and compare it to the MCAT topic outlines.

N=1 and YMMV, but I took regular genetics after I’d taken the MCAT, and while it was fun and one of my favorite classes, I didn’t think it covered anything particularly helpful for the MCAT that wasn’t already covered in other classes. Maybe as a review for the material it might’ve been nice, but I think physiology or microbio or something would be more useful.

I heard that doing a genetics course can be helpful for prepping for the MCAT. Would doing behavioral genetics(major course requirement, not a lab course) be just as useful as doing regular genetics(lab course, not a major requirement)?
There is a fair amount of genetics on the MCAT. You would be doing yourself a disservice not to take it. Many schools require it as well. Invest in a MSAR and make an informed decision.

Reactions: 1 user