Behavioral Health hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDBro2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you work in this setting?

What's an average day like, job duties, how does it compare to other pharmacy settings (retail/hospital/LTAC), how's work-life balance? How many beds and how many FTEs? Would love to learn more about this pharmacy niche from your personal experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Not one PharmD in a behavioral health setting on SDN?

There aren't a lot of these left, many states have closed down a large number of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
These places around where I work really need to work on continuity of care, as it is absolute garbage.

There aren't a lot of these left, many states have closed down a large number of them.

Really? I've been told it is quite the opposite, with it being a large money maker. I'm seeing more of them opening up now (brand new facilities).

These places around where I work really need to work on continuity of care, as it is absolute garbage.

That seems to be the issue everywhere, though. What state if you don't mind me asking?

The Sacramento area has two UHS-owned acute psych hospitals. Sutter Health (a non-profit health system here) runs one.

If new hospitals are being opened up see who owns them

Really? I've been told it is quite the opposite, with it being a large money maker. I'm seeing more of them opening up now (brand new facilities).

That seems to be the issue everywhere, though. What state if you don't mind me asking?

The Sacramento area has two UHS-owned acute psych hospitals. Sutter Health (a non-profit health system here) runs one.

If new hospitals are being opened up see who owns them

No, the classic MH hospitals never have been due to CMHA 1963. You might be talking about the hospitals where the rich send their dependents to clean up, in which case, there can be.

Are you counting Sierra Vista, Cedar Point, or the other MHTC's? The definition of 'hospital' is larger than what we typically consider when it comes to mental health as MHTC's count toward it. Also, Sierra Vista has a notorious reputation such that I wouldn't send any loved ones there. MHTC's are usually hospitals by CA's definition if they have inpatient services though you'd probably call 911 if the patients have a behavioral toxicity moment.

I was referring to the freestanding private hospitals with > 16 beds.

Reactions: 1 user
Do any of you work in this setting?

What's an average day like, job duties, how does it compare to other pharmacy settings (retail/hospital/LTAC), how's work-life balance? How many beds and how many FTEs? Would love to learn more about this pharmacy niche from your personal experiences.

THere is very little turn over; hence, you will be verifying very little orders. Your main tasks are order entry and clerical, such as stocking the ADM and ordering. There may be some rounding. There is very little medicine happening in a rehab place. ABX is non-existent beyond a state prerequisite. I wouldn't go there if you are coming from acute care.

Really? I've been told it is quite the opposite, with it being a large money maker. I'm seeing more of them opening up now (brand new facilities)

I am pretty sure these places are hurting for money, that is why most are state supported. The few that are private, generally only take those with private insurance, and those make money, but the majority of the pt's that need inpatient care tend to be medicaid/no insurance. That is why they often sit in the ED I work in for weeks at a time awaiting a bed

Well my question is why are these private hospitals IMD-excluded. It doesn't help any. The reasoning was wrong as a lot of these people will never function nor participate in society

Well my question is why are these private hospitals IMD-excluded. It doesn't help any. The reasoning was wrong as a lot of these people will never function nor participate in society

Money. Private hospitals exist to make money, and nobody makes money off of medicaid/medicare patients.

I am pretty sure these places are hurting for money, that is why most are state supported. The few that are private, generally only take those with private insurance, and those make money, but the majority of the pt's that need inpatient care tend to be medicaid/no insurance. That is why they often sit in the ED I work in for weeks at a time awaiting a bed
How much of a resume holder or plus would a behavioral health or rehab facility when looking for acute care work?