Behavioral Neurology

Started by DD214_DOC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DD214_DOC

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what exactly is this and how is it related to psych? I want to do a combined Neuro/Psych program or FP/psych program, but unfortunately the Army only has the latter. So I lean more towards neuro, where/what would a behavioral neuro fellowship get me?
 
what exactly is this and how is it related to psych? I want to do a combined Neuro/Psych program or FP/psych program, but unfortunately the Army only has the latter. So I lean more towards neuro, where/what would a behavioral neuro fellowship get me?

You can kind of think of behavioral neurology as dealing with the cognitive complications of neurologic disease (i.e., dementia associated with progressive degenerative conditions such as Parkinson's Lewy body dementia, Alzheimers, Huntingtons, cognitive/behavioral sequelae of stroke, etc), while a psychiatrist deals more with primary "mental illness" (depression, bipolar, anxiety, etc). To be sure, there is a significant degree of overlap between these categories, and behavioral neurologists and psychiatrists have basically the same pharmaceutical armamentarium. I think the behavioral neurologist tends to be be more "intellectualizing" as well, i.e., really into the neuroanatomy and pathophysiology of the process, as opposed to the psychiatrist.
Not sure what you mean by "what would a behavioral neuro fellowship get me." It won't get you board certified in psychiatry, if that is your goal. What it also WON'T get you is more money. This is generally something you do because you like it, not because it brings in big bucks.