Behavioral Science Board Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pox in a box

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the options:

1. BRS Behavioral Science
2. HY Behavioral Science
3. Kaplan Behavioral Science Lecture Notes (w/ or w/o Web Prep)
4. Other

Sound off. Need this quick ladies and gents.

Members don't see this ad.

Have u heard the webprep audio for beh. science? I listened to it like last september and I can still remember it cuz of his funny jokes. I dont know, if u are working out or somthing during ur preparation, those mp3s are really good.

If I could do one book, I would pick BRS. But then again my advice doesnt hold much weight. :D

later

omarsaleh66 said:
Have u heard the webprep audio for beh. science? I listened to it like last september and I can still remember it cuz of his funny jokes. I dont know, if u are working out or somthing during ur preparation, those mp3s are really good.

If I could do one book, I would pick BRS. But then again my advice doesnt hold much weight. :D

later

No, does it follow along with the book or is it a separate read away from the audio?

The audio, Im sure follows the notes, but it was good enough to stand on its own. I would listen to it while i was doiig cardio and even though I wasnt using the kaplan notes, I learned alot.

I havent touched BRS beh science, but I did do the comp exam in the back to prepare for my beh. science shelf.

I dont know if I answered your question. English is not my first language so please forgive me.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard good things abt BRS, but people say HY is enough--the subject itself is kind of a hit or miss with such a huge emphasis on those "what would u say" questions. I did kaplan for the shelf, and did fine with it, and am using it for the step, since i've already done it. This doesn't really answer your question, sorry. But, all in all, i don't think u can go wrong by choosing any one of them. I suppose if u have the time, go for BRS or kaplan.

HiddenTruth said:
i've heard good things abt BRS, but people say HY is enough--the subject itself is kind of a hit or miss with such a huge emphasis on those "what would u say" questions. I did kaplan for the shelf, and did fine with it, and am using it for the step, since i've already done it. This doesn't really answer your question, sorry. But, all in all, i don't think u can go wrong by choosing any one of them. I suppose if u have the time, go for BRS or kaplan.

Is doing all 3 overkill or a sure way to slam all BS questions (minus the doctor-patient relationship ones I've heard everyone complaining about)?

I read the Kaplan one and then quickly read the HY one. I would say that the Kaplan (the white one) is better. Also has lots of questions, a little bit more time consuming, but worth it. Should take about 2 days. So kaplan over HY. The BRS is by the same author as the HY if I remember correctly (Fadem). She is good, so BRS might be worth a look. So I think you should look at BRS and the Kaplan and then make your decision, I would leave HY out of this since these two would be better.

good luck,

"You walk up to a schizoid, and they tell you to go awaaaayyy."

"A schizotypal walks up to you, and you tell *them* to go awaaaayyy."

"Schizotypals are the people who tell you that they were abducted by aliens and then returned. You know why they were returned? Even the aliens thought they were weird."

Webprep.

Funny.

Hey I suck at Behavioral. I plan to read High Yield and do corresponding Q's from BRS. Is 2 days enough?

Qwest said:
Hey I suck at Behavioral. I plan to read High Yield and do corresponding Q's from BRS. Is 2 days enough?

I'm thinking no. I still have to read all my notes from class and chapter summaries from the psychiatry text my school recommends.

how is web prep for behavior? sounds funny...i MAY stay awake!
streetdoc

Pox in a box said:
I'm thinking no. I still have to read all my notes from class and chapter summaries from the psychiatry text my school recommends.

awww crap... how bout 3 days? 12 hours each day?

Pox in a box said:

Pox, how many total weeks are you taking to prep for step 1?

How many hours of lecture is webprep behavioral science???

What you guys are essentially saying is that FA's Behavioral Science section is not enough?

JMD said:

any one help out with this about the time required to listen and read? i was planning on 2.5 days for BS?? i'm going to kaplan tomorrow...i guess i can just buy that one book? right? no?
thanks
streetdoc

pox, i eneded up with the new 4th...it's the same as the 3rd from what i ooked at in a friends 3rd. just a nice cover...

4cDirect, just from the FEW questions that i had on my shelfs i will say FA's NOT enough...i had luckily started BRS and was very thankful because FA didn't even hit my questions i got. for example...i had a question about a kid who was 9 mo old and could sit up, say a word or two and something else. the answer were all ablout development stage. i narrowed it down to 2 and the deciding factor was the stuff talked about in BRS, not even in FA. i'm sticking with BRS...kaplan maybe if i get the time.

JMD said:

Behavioral has 7 sections:

Defense Mechs
DSMIV
Epidemiology
Ethics
HumanDevelopment
Statistics
Substance Abuse

I have a feeling that you can plow through all of them in a day or so. I'm having the largest problem in QBank with the 'ethics' questions ... Hmmm ...

tkim6599 said:
Behavioral has 7 sections:

Defense Mechs
DSMIV
Epidemiology
Ethics
HumanDevelopment
Statistics
Substance Abuse

I have a feeling that you can plow through all of them in a day or so. I'm having the largest problem in QBank with the 'ethics' questions ... Hmmm ...

thanks for the post, is that "one day" include listening to the lectures (web prep). i hear they are good , but i know from goljan, it can slow you down too. thanks
streetdoc

Pox in a box said:

Good luck to you, I'm in the same boat. I know someone that skipped the BS classes, read the kaplan behaviroal science book three times through during classtime, and still honored the class. By skipping all the BS classes, he has a huge advantage for the boards. I guess some guys know how to play the game. I'm jealous because I still haven't read the Kaplan Behavioral Science book once yet. That's what I get for burning bridges. You never know when someone smarter has better resources. I really should have given him access to webprep when he asked for it last december. That's the funny thing about life, you really don't know when someone has something that you might need. I've learned my lesson, from now on if someone asks for something I'm going to give it to them even if it is a netter's cd. Who knows, maybe they might already have good resources for the clinical shelf exams, and Step 2.

p53 said:
Good luck to you, I'm in the same boat. I know someone that skipped the BS classes, read the kaplan behaviroal science book three times through during classtime, and still honored the class. By skipping all the BS classes, he has a huge advantage for the boards. I guess some guys know how to play the game. I'm jealous because I still haven't read the Kaplan Behavioral Science book once yet. That's what I get for burning bridges. You never know when someone smarter has better resources. I really should have given him access to webprep when he asked for it last december. That's the funny thing about life, you really don't know when someone has something that you might need. I've learned my lesson, from now on if someone asks for something I'm going to give it to them even if it is a netter's cd. Who knows, maybe they might already have good resources for the clinical shelf exams, and Step 2.

Yeah, you never know. You're right.

p53 said:

Wow! Does anyone else smell a new and improved p53?
Hey, p53, any luck on the new Goljan audio? I definately want it if u have it--remember, I may have something u need in the future. ;) You just never know!