1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

behavioral science shelf question

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by wAyRadikull, Dec 1, 2008.

1. wAyRadikull

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So i was initially going to use kaplan notes + videos but i kinda ran out of time due to other courses taking priority.

I was wondering if anyone can comment on the quality of questions in the brs as far as how indicative they were of the shelf? and also, whether FA BS was any good?

I'm doing well in the class (85%), so i dont really need to learn the material, maybe just a quick review.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

2. thesauce

thesauce Senior Member
    Physician Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    BRS behavioral science IS the shelf. If you know that book you're good. Learn the drugs and their side effects if you haven't already. That really separates people on the shelf.

3. OP
    OP
    wAyRadikull

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So i just took the shelf with one day of actual studying under my belt (in addition to doing well in the semester of course).

Needless to to say, like the poster above mentioned, BRS IS the shelf. I got time to flip through a couple of troubled sections just to be clear on a few details. It helped a great deal just in terms of jogging my memory. It's an easy read so it shouldnt take up a lot of time. The comprehensive did seem a bit easy as first, but it cements a lot of random details, so take that for kicks.

Although, don't make the same mistake i did, A LOT of the shelf consisted of straight up ethics questions as in.. "what would you do in this situation", these questions can get kinda tricky as they have a whole subjective vibe to them, so make sure you study it (because they are expecting a correct answer whether or not what you do is justified haha).

And know development at the back of your hand. The ages, motor/social/language skills, all that good stuff.

But other than that, shelf is totally doable. Hope this helps out for anyone trying to gain some insight.

4. cpants

cpants Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dr. Fadem used to write questions for the USMLE.

5. NOdilation

Resident [Any Field]
    kaplan was great. make sure you know what to say to patients in certain situations. at first glance it may seem subjective, but if you know the concept then you can see what they are actually testing. high yield was very good also.