Behind-the-scenes Interview Deliberations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, the biggest thing is: When you show up to interview, try to at least resemble the photo you sent in. If you have: cut your hair, changed the color, got contacts, and lost (or gained) 50 pounds, resubmit your picture. Please. Or else do not be offended if you are not recognized!

This was an issue for students at my school - we took headshot photos on the first day of 1st year orientation, and those were our official photos for anything school-related for the next 4 years, including residency applications (my school automatically submitted those photos to ERAS without us having a choice). I had lost 40+ pounds since the start of school and therefore my picture was not very representative. I did grow my hair out during 4th year to make it more similar to how it was in my original picture so I think I was reasonably recognizable from my photo, but some classmates looked totally different during interview season compared to how they did when their photos were taken at the start of 1st year.

Members don't see this ad.

we took headshot photos on the first day of 1st year orientation, and those were our official photos for anything school-related for the next 4 years, including residency applications (my school automatically submitted those photos to ERAS without us having a choice).

That's dumb!

The main reason I didn't submit a professional photo is because I don't photograph well. I decided rather than spending money to get a stiff formal photo in which I looked startled/dead/constipated, I'd have my husband take the picture. He was able to take many, many shots (with great patience and humor) until we finally got a nice, relaxed shot where my face wasn't doing something weird. Business clothes, neutral background. I didn't wear my white coat because I look better in vibrant colors.