Being a better M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So, I'm just a lowly M1 who's finally (I think) starting to get a handle on how to study and not fail med school. Now that I'm getting more comfortable, I'd like to turn my attention slightly towards how to make myself a more well-rounded student. I'm not planning on taking anything on anytime soon, but just figured it would be worth getting a feel on people's opinions from now.

Currently, I'm interested in IM (with possible sub-specialization, although I'm not sure yet) or ob/gyn. Yes, I know that I can change my mind, but I do know that I'm definitely not interested in any of the "competitive" specialities. I also am not interested in an academic career, so I'm not too concerned about matching a university vs. community program. I am from FL, so I would prefer to be able to go back home if possible, although sticking it out for a couple more years during residency wouldn't be the most terrible thing. The area around my home has a lot of IM programs, but only like 2 ob/gyn programs, and one of them is a university program. I am currently planning on taking Step 1. My questions are....

1. How important is research for either of these fields if you're not shooting for a top program? To be quite honest, I did bench research as an undergrad and I didn't really enjoy it. I'm not opposed to doing clinical research, but overall I'm not crazy about research. I have a mentor back home who is really well connected and would (likely) be able to set me up with some research, but being as it's something I don't particularly enjoy that much, I'm wondering if it's worth it (although I've never tried clinical research, so I may like that).
2. Should I be starting on research this summer, or wait until 3rd year? I was looking forward to kind of not doing anything this summer, but if I need to get some research done I'm not opposed to it. I guess the answer to this question depends on how much research is recommended.
3. What else can I be doing right now to try and make myself a better applicant? I know do well in classes and Step is the general advice, but is there anything else? I haven't really applied for any extracurriculars so far because I wanted to get a good grip on my studies, but now I kind of regret it..I was interested in being a part of our student run clinic, but leadership applications were due super early in this year and I wasn't sure if I could handle it yet. I will probably still try to get involved as a volunteer, but yeah. Anyways, just not sure what matters/what doesn't. I have heard that extracurriculars aren't important, I'm just not sure to what extent-- is doing nothing besides being in a couple of clubs okay? What about volunteering?

Yes, I know it's early to be thinking about these things. I'm more just curious so that I know in what direction I should start thinking. I don't want to be sitting around doing nothing if I should be volunteering etc. Also, yes I have looked at the match charting outcomes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. only do research if you generally enjoy it
2. no one is going to care about any extracurricular activities. Just make sure to have a story or can carry on a conversation about hobbies during interviews to show you are an actual human-being with coping strategies/activities outside of medicine
3. study, study, study.. because Board scores trump everything

Reactions: 2 users
1. only do research if you generally enjoy it
2. no one is going to care about any extracurricular activities. Just make sure to have a story or can carry on a conversation about hobbies during interviews to show you are an actual human-being with coping strategies/activities outside of medicine
3. study, study, study.. because Board scores trump everything

**Triggered**

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a no-research mindset too towards summer between m1/m2, ended up doing a paid IM preceptorship. Reflecting on my CV, I'm too slanted clinically. I'm playing it safe and got into research during this fall, but I wish I did last summer.

I know you say you don't like research, but what if it's in OBGYN/IM topics that you find interesting?

but what if it's in OBGYN/IM topics that you find interesting?
That's why I'm not entirely against it, I'm just wondering how important it is so that I can determine if I should sacrifice my last summer for it.

I feel like it is abnormal how much emphasis is placed on Step 1 by residency programs. There seems to be little to no respect for the hard work that is put into the process preparing for the exam with the performance on the exam overshadowing everything preceding and following it. In an ideal world, it would be so much better if emphasis was placed on things like taking a more comparative look at the didactic portion, Step 2, and sub-I rotations rather than having all these three factors play second seat to Step 1 performance. I don't know. It just doesn't seem like an organic process conducive to growth and with the rising trend in competitive scores has lead more to fear, complacency, and reserved acceptance rather than producing excited PCP's who can't wait to be the first provider.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like it is abnormal how much emphasis is placed on Step 1 by residency programs. There seems to be little to no respect for the hard work that is put into the process preparing for the exam with the performance on the exam overshadowing everything preceding and following it. In an ideal world, it would be so much better if emphasis was placed on things like taking a more comparative look at the didactic portion, Step 2, and sub-I rotations rather than having all these three factors play second seat to Step 1 performance. I don't know. It just doesn't seem like an organic process conducive to growth and with the rising trend in competitive scores has lead more to fear, complacency, and reserved acceptance rather than producing excited PCP's who can't wait to be the first provider.
everything except standardized exams are non-standardized. In a world where the is massive variation in the quality of rotations, evaluations, preclinical grading, opportunities available, STEP 1, and 2 seem like only realistic way to initially cull candidates. There are too many people applying to too few residency programs and PDs dont have time to work through each aspect of each application or evaluate how to compare to candidates from completely different schools, not to say that the more nuanced evaluation doesnt occur, it just occurs post interview.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey since you are getting the hang of M1, what’s your secret? How do you study? I feel like I’m not getting my money’s worth between spending so much time studying and my grades being straight trash

I know this is hard for you to believe but high Step 1 scorers tend to rock 1st two years of preclinical and high Step 2 scorers tend to rock the ward hard.

The correlation is greater for Step 2, shelf exams, and high performing students during third year.

The abnormality of high Step 1 scorer with trash first two years of preclinical grades is more prevalent in DO schools where the teaching by subpar faculty members is straight up trash.

Anyway, a lot of residency programs do value Step 2 higher than Step 1.

Last edited:
@Black Coffee 24/7 Could you elaborate more when you mention that there are a lot of residency programs that value Step 2 higher than Step 1? The 2018 Program Director Survey makes it seem like Step 1 is universally held across all specialties as being a more important selection factor than Step 2.

@Black Coffee 24/7 Could you elaborate more when you mention that there are a lot of residency programs that value Step 2 higher than Step 1? The 2018 Program Director Survey makes it seem like Step 1 is universally held across all specialties as being a more important selection factor than Step 2.

I can speak for Anesthesiology in which Step 2 is being valued higher than Step 1. The only reason why the PD survey has Step 1 higher bc not all applicants have the score from Step 2 ready for application season. Another reason why Step 1 is valued so high is probably due to Step 1 cutoff as a universal screener for applications. It could be 200, 210, 220, 230, or 240 for different programs. But, passing the initial auto screen doesn't mean an II. Then, programs place different values on stuff like Step 1, Step 2, LORs, MSPE, and clerkship grades in order to quantify you and then hand out IIs in accordance with their lists. I have been told from several people that Step 2 is just as important on a numerical value as Step 1 if not higher in some of these programs inner quantifying systems.

As a DO, you should have both Step 1 and Step 2 scores ready, preferably min at around national average if you're serious about fields outside of primary care.

That's why I'm not entirely against it, I'm just wondering how important it is so that I can determine if I should sacrifice my last summer for it.

Honestly, you should take advantage of the longer summer you guys have. Do some research on something you really find interesting. Do something. If you get the job you want you can take some pretty sweet vacations later in life.

If I had the time last summer I probably would’ve organized materials for board prep. And started some of that with Zanki.

Hey since you are getting the hang of M1, what’s your secret? How do you study? I feel like I’m not getting my money’s worth between spending so much time studying and my grades being straight trash
It's going to be different for each person. I know OP doesnt go to lecture. I recently started going to lecture again because I do the reading beforehand, I spend about an hour to an hour and a half before lecture with my study group going through the slides prior to lecture, and then I know what material I want to ask questions about if it's not explained more in lecture. It's not everyone's cup of tea but for me it's better than watching lectures 2 or 3x to feel that I got something out of it.

If you are passing, then the better grades will come with time as you adjust to the pace. Make use of your schools learning services and tutors.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the best app boosting thing you can do is get into some research over summer. Don't miss out like I did :(. Do take 1-2 week off and just relax though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So first, my goal is finding the right balance between work and reward. To me, it's not worth studying 15 more hours to get 5 more points on an exam. So, I think the first thing to do is to determine what you'd like to be scoring vs. how much work you want to put in.

Like mentioned, I don't go to lecture. Watch everything on 1.5-2x speed depending on who's lecturing. Make Anki. Do Anki everyday. Day or two before the exam, do practice questions. That's basically it. Anki is amazing.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, you should take advantage of the longer summer you guys have. Do some research on something you really find interesting. Do something. If you get the job you want you can take some pretty sweet vacations later in life.

If I had the time last summer I probably would’ve organized materials for board prep. And started some of that with Zanki.
I already have all the Zanki decks loaded and ready to go. Might start with it next semester depending on whether or not I can sustain my grades the way they've been lately.
I think the best app boosting thing you can do is get into some research over summer. Don't miss out like I did :(. Do take 1-2 week off and just relax though.
Thank you both! I'll connect with my mentor next semester and see if I can find something I would be interested in.

I already have all the Zanki decks loaded and ready to go. Might start with it next semester depending on whether or not I can sustain my grades the way they've been lately.

Thank you both! I'll connect with my mentor next semester and see if I can find something I would be interested in.

Search for keywords in the Zanki decks for your block now. I guarantee you it'll save you from doing a few cards and might explain something you haven't thought of.

Reactions: 1 users
@fldoctorgirl I'm still learning how to pass comfortably :(

I think it's because I haven't been consistent with my study habits. My first pass methods are always different.

@fldoctorgirl I'm still learning how to pass comfortably :(

I think it's because I haven't been consistent with my study habits. My first pass methods are always different.

Advice from a PGY1 who was a struggling M1 back in the day:

When something isn’t working, change it.

If things are working, don’t change it. Even if you find out your friends have different study habits. There are as many ways to study as people in your class.

If things are kind of working, make small changes not dramatic ones. You don’t want to go from a high C to an F instead of from a high C to a B.

Don’t be afraid to study differently for different classes/topics. My strategy for pharm was totally different from my strategy for path.

Your best resource for study tip as an M1 is a trustworthy M2. They survived this last year and remember what it’s like.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm still trying to figure it out as well. I'm with you @fourandtwo. So this weekend I am reflecting on what did and didn't work to try to prepare for CP

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile

I'm still trying to figure it out as well. I'm with you @fourandtwo. So this weekend I am reflecting on what did and didn't work to try to prepare for CP

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile
@BellaWriterChic we did that post test. Figured out what worked and didn't for HDM, though CP is a different animal.

PS. Always welcome with us

Hi! So, I'm just a lowly M1 who's finally (I think) starting to get a handle on how to study and not fail med school. Now that I'm getting more comfortable, I'd like to turn my attention slightly towards how to make myself a more well-rounded student. I'm not planning on taking anything on anytime soon, but just figured it would be worth getting a feel on people's opinions from now.

Currently, I'm interested in IM (with possible sub-specialization, although I'm not sure yet) or ob/gyn. Yes, I know that I can change my mind, but I do know that I'm definitely not interested in any of the "competitive" specialities. I also am not interested in an academic career, so I'm not too concerned about matching a university vs. community program. I am from FL, so I would prefer to be able to go back home if possible, although sticking it out for a couple more years during residency wouldn't be the most terrible thing. The area around my home has a lot of IM programs, but only like 2 ob/gyn programs, and one of them is a university program. I am currently planning on taking Step 1. My questions are....

1. How important is research for either of these fields if you're not shooting for a top program? To be quite honest, I did bench research as an undergrad and I didn't really enjoy it. I'm not opposed to doing clinical research, but overall I'm not crazy about research. I have a mentor back home who is really well connected and would (likely) be able to set me up with some research, but being as it's something I don't particularly enjoy that much, I'm wondering if it's worth it (although I've never tried clinical research, so I may like that).
2. Should I be starting on research this summer, or wait until 3rd year? I was looking forward to kind of not doing anything this summer, but if I need to get some research done I'm not opposed to it. I guess the answer to this question depends on how much research is recommended.
3. What else can I be doing right now to try and make myself a better applicant? I know do well in classes and Step is the general advice, but is there anything else? I haven't really applied for any extracurriculars so far because I wanted to get a good grip on my studies, but now I kind of regret it..I was interested in being a part of our student run clinic, but leadership applications were due super early in this year and I wasn't sure if I could handle it yet. I will probably still try to get involved as a volunteer, but yeah. Anyways, just not sure what matters/what doesn't. I have heard that extracurriculars aren't important, I'm just not sure to what extent-- is doing nothing besides being in a couple of clubs okay? What about volunteering?

Yes, I know it's early to be thinking about these things. I'm more just curious so that I know in what direction I should start thinking. I don't want to be sitting around doing nothing if I should be volunteering etc. Also, yes I have looked at the match charting outcomes.
Are you reading textbooks? Are you using resources *putside your school?* your knowledge base is the most important thing this year... if you want to be a more well rounded student take the time to use outside materials to supplement your learning. As an MS2, I’m really glad that I read along in Robbins/Firecracker/used Sketchy during MS1 and read outside of my schools materials. It will build a much more well rounded knowledge base!

And at this point... do what makes you happy and keeps you going. If you want to take the summer off, do that! It’ll give you way more juice for MS2 than moving small volumes of reagent around if you’re not really into research

@fourandtwo Don't get me wrong, I'm still making improvements and tweaking my methods. But I'm in a much better place than I was during MCM and even MSK, thankfully.

Are you reading textbooks? Are you using resources *putside your school?* your knowledge base is the most important thing this year... if you want to be a more well rounded student take the time to use outside materials to supplement your learning. As an MS2, I’m really glad that I read along in Robbins/Firecracker/used Sketchy during MS1 and read outside of my schools materials. It will build a much more well rounded knowledge base!

And at this point... do what makes you happy and keeps you going. If you want to take the summer off, do that! It’ll give you way more juice for MS2 than moving small volumes of reagent around if you’re not really into research
I'm not currently using outside resources! Thinking about starting Zanki alongside my courses, not 100% sure about it yet.

Thanks for the happiness comment. You're so right :)

only do things you truly enjoy. your passion will come through and you will be able to craft a story about what you learned if you were passionate about what you were involved in.

For those we are at KCU, is doing Zanki not enough since we are in the organ system now?

For those we are at KCU, is doing Zanki not enough since we are in the organ system now?
I have heard not. Zanki works well alongside studying, but since our exams are professor written I don't think it'll be enough.

Don't know about OB/GYN, but for medicine:
1. It would be a lie to say research doesn't matter, even for "not top programs," but it matters much less.
2. It depends on you and what you think you can handle. Academics always comes first. Always. If you're already struggling from that front, don't think about adding other responsibilities.
3. Study for the USMLE and do well on it. Seriously. This is the single most important thing you can do your first two years of med school. I think the formula for USMLE success is still First Aid + USMLE World + Pathoma and going through all 3 thoroughly multiple times. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, do as well as you can learning the material in class (it will make studying for the USMLE and COMLEX much easier, and for me, it made clerkships and even residency easier) but don't feel bad if you're not in the "top tier" of your class. IMO you made the wise choice holding off on doing extracurriculars. Academics come first. I did very little dedicated volunteer work as a med student and turned out ok. Lastly, keep doing hobbies that you're passionate about in your (limited) spare time and list them on your application to residency. It makes you unique, interesting, and genuine. Besides board scores and research, I've gotten way more questions about my hobbies and travels during my residency interviews than questions about my extracurriculars.

Don't know about OB/GYN, but for medicine:
1. It would be a lie to say research doesn't matter, even for "not top programs," but it matters much less.
2. It depends on you and what you think you can handle. Academics always comes first. Always. If you're already struggling from that front, don't think about adding other responsibilities.
3. Study for the USMLE and do well on it. Seriously. This is the single most important thing you can do your first two years of med school. I think the formula for USMLE success is still First Aid + USMLE World + Pathoma and going through all 3 thoroughly multiple times. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, do as well as you can learning the material in class (it will make studying for the USMLE and COMLEX much easier, and for me, it made clerkships and even residency easier) but don't feel bad if you're not in the "top tier" of your class. IMO you made the wise choice holding off on doing extracurriculars. Academics come first. I did very little dedicated volunteer work as a med student and turned out ok. Lastly, keep doing hobbies that you're passionate about in your (limited) spare time and list them on your application to residency. It makes you unique, interesting, and genuine. Besides board scores and research, I've gotten way more questions about my hobbies and travels during my residency interviews than questions about my extracurriculars.
Thanks for your feedback! I'm definitely trying to focus on my academics for now. I will look into adding some research over the summer or next year.