Which is better- retake Step 1 for a pass + get strong Step 2 vs. report COMLEX only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazardousreagent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice after failing step 1, but passing comlex as a DO student.

Since step 1 was made pass/fail is it better to apply to residencies with COMLEX only or better to retake, pass step 1, and do very well on Step 2?

I'm unsure if the step 1 fail screening is still in place and worse than not having step exams at all. I want to broadly apply PMR or IM and would like to pursue fellowship in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Dont retake. Just dont report. Focus on COMLEX.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't get in trouble for not reporting? Is there not a way for them to find out if you took it and failed?
This has been discussed extensively. No. you dont have to report and dont get in trouble. No way for anyone to know.

This has been discussed extensively. No. you dont have to report and dont get in trouble. No way for anyone to know.

Okay well my school told me differently which is why I asked. Why would you have to report the fail the second time? And what if you were asked during your interview if you took it or not?

There seems to be no clear answer since the p/f change, but I dont understand why it would hurt if the emphasis is on step 2 anyway
The reason is that programs are very interested if applicants have had a failed USMLE/COMLEX attempt as it's something that many programs will use to filter applicants out of consideration. The table below show is from the 2021 NRMP Program Directors' Survey - almost 75% of programs across all specialties are factoring a failed Step exam into their consideration on who they will invite to interview. Step 1 going p/f has not changed the way programs think about a failed attempt.
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 3.14.48 PM.png

Reactions: 1 users
That's helpful to know, is there an updated version of this soon to be released? I have been unable to find it

That's helpful to know, is there an updated version of this soon to be released? I have been unable to find it
Hey bro. For PMR or IM comlex only is just fine. Aim for 600+ on level 2. Don’t talk about your USMLE failure and bury it in the ground. That pathway is now closed to you. I also would NOT ask your school for advice, because morally ofc they’re going to tell you to report. Don’t draw a magnifying glass to yourself or else it becomes a big deal if you tell them you are not reporting and they freak out.

Now delete all ur **** and go back to focusing on COMLEX.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the 2021 Program Director Survey, which can be found here: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-PD-Survey-Report-for-WWW.pdf

There was a 2022 Program Director Survey, but it was largely focused on data about virtual interviewing, so it's less useful. There should be a new version of the useful data coming out later this year.