being a radiology assistant for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radio-philia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I want to pursue my residency in radiology or nothing at all. I applied to Rads this year but unfortunately didn't land any interviews. Of course, I am not a great candidate at this point and its no surprise for me. But then I want to improve my chances next year. My stats are.

IMG
step 1-88
step 2 -89
no clinical experience in the US

With these stats, what should I do to get a residency next year or so. I was considering doing a radiology assistant course, which is a 15 month course. Will this improve my chances or should I join as a research assistant in some program. which of them is better? Has anyone tried going the route of being a radiology assistant first and did it work for them? IF there are any other ways to improve my candidacy please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

With your board scores and lack of clinical experience in the US, it's really difficult (if even possible) to land a radiology residency spot. I would suggest looking into nuclear medicine residency. You still get to read films all day, plus you get to treat some patients (thyroid radio-ablation, etc). Plenty of spots open for IMGs, and the residency is shorter than radiology. It's a good career track with good pay and lots of opportunities in academic medical centers.

Can anybody please tell me if doing a radiology assistant /technician will fetch me a residency

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody please tell me if doing a radiology assistant /technician will fetch me a residency

I am probably wrong but to me that sounds like asking if being an EMT will increase your chances in getting an emergency medicine residency. Your grades, board scores, recommendations, and research are the big factors....at least from what I've read numerous times on this site. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong here...

I strongly doubt it. Research would be better. Trying for Nuclear Medicine would be even better.

Thanks for your input guys. I just hit upon this idea coz I remember reading on e of the posts, where the guy was a X-ray technician and matched in his top program. So was just wondering .....

Hi folks,

Has anyone tried going the route of being a radiology assistant first and did it work for them? IF there are any other ways to improve my candidacy please let me know

There seems to be a strong negative opinion against radiology assistants around here. It may even hurt your chances of matching in a radiology residency. Besides, most of the people applying and successfully getting the radiology assistant positions are techs that have many years of experience that want to take it to the next level.

I don't know your background, but with IMGs from India there seems to be a tradition of working as an US technologist in the US while applying for residency. It pays the bills and it gets you the hands on US experience.
If you don't need the money, I think radiology research would be your best bet. I don't know whether nuclear medicine is a backdoor into radiology anymore.

As you probably know, your step scores are below average, even for an AMG, and the odds will be heavily against you when you reapply, no matter what you decide to do.

If this is really what you want to do, throw your hat in the ring and see what happens.

Good luck.

There are two backdoors to Radiology that I know about

(1) Nukes. 'nuff said.

(2) Outside funded position. This one is more tricky, but will let you be a full rad. Here's the scoop: you join the military or procure outside funding (great for the independently wealthy). Then, you get on the phone. A little known secret is that there are programs out there with GME approval for more positions than they have funding for. They only match their funded positions and have 1 or 2 left over. You can fill one of those positions. I'm sure (ethically it's the responsible thing to do) you'll have to prove your funding source and stability for the full four years.

Good luck
-Spooky