Being a Tool

Started by NeuroFP
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NeuroFP

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hear all of these tips on not being a tool...I'm somewhat getting the idea of it, but I'm also getting some second thoughts on that it might be different in the medical world than the word's definition in high school.

So, when one says don't be a tool, what do they mean exactly?
 
LOL.

Probably pretty different than in HS, depending on the school.

Don't hurt classmates or the team to get yourself ahead. Be nice, help out. Don't be cocky, don't insist on having your way or argue little points to "win" of have something be easier for you. Don't brag and pretend that you aren't. Don't call out classmates and don't get upset if they get more applause or don't get in trouble for doing something "wrong."

Just be helpful, nice, genuine, hard working and not stupid-cocky.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Modesty" is tough - it's different to different people.

I say go for humility and avoid being pretentious (outwardly showy, demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.)
 
I don't usually post; in fact, almost never. But I had to say one thing:

NeuroFP -- it's too late buddy. It's too late.