Being active on SDN as a current student or physical therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2017DPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For students or currently licensed PTs that have been active on forums such as these and kept up with them, did you find it useful, or helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

This site is much more geared towards pre-PTs than SPTs or practicing therapists. There are a couple of excellent groups on Facebook if you want to participate in a lot of good discussions once you are in PT school.

Reactions: 1 user
This site is much more geared towards pre-PTs than SPTs or practicing therapists. There are a couple of excellent groups on Facebook if you want to participate in a lot of good discussions once you are in PT school.
Thanks for the response, I'll search for those in the future!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a practicing PT and I enjoy correcting some misconceptions of SPTs and Pre-PT students. I don't like talking duckies and bunnies and unicorns and rainbows to those who made a lot of bad decisions or don't have the grades and/or talent to get in or finish PT school.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a practicing PT and I enjoy correcting some misconceptions of SPTs and Pre-PT students

Indeed, much if not most of what I read on here as a pre-PT turned out to be fairly exaggerated.

I am a practicing PT and I enjoy correcting some misconceptions of SPTs and Pre-PT students.

Indeed, much if not most of what I read on here as a pre-PT turned out to be fairly exaggerated.

On this note, I'm very curious- what do you guys see as the biggest exaggerations/misconceptions perpetuated on this forum? What am I reading on here that I should take with a grain (or multiple handfuls) of salt?

sorry but I can't really come up with a concrete example. What I meant was to say that I enjoy explaining some of the more difficult to search things for prospective PT students like the quality of a school, discussing cost of education etc . . . I wouldn't say that things are perpetuated but there are some people who exaggerate (IMO) the rigor of PT school, the cost to earnings ratio, what schools are better than others etc . . .

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't say that things are perpetuated but there are some people who exaggerate (IMO) the rigor of PT school, the cost to earnings ratio, what schools are better than others etc . . .

Rigor of PT school: a full-time job (50-60 hrs/week classes+preparation) but you're not going to have a nervous breakdown. If you study smart and effectively, you will do just fine.
Cost-to-earnings ratio: depends on the school and the job you take. If you go to an expensive private school and get a job in a private practice, you're going to be in debt for a long time.
Which schools are better: depends on what you want. NPTE pass rate is the most important criterion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was on this website religiously as a pre PT student but now that I'm an SPT, I only come back to post if people msg me or I get some sort of notification.

On this note, I'm very curious- what do you guys see as the biggest exaggerations/misconceptions perpetuated on this forum? What am I reading on here that I should take with a grain (or multiple handfuls) of salt?

Things are necessarily misconceptions, the info on here is generally pretty accurate. "Overdramatized" may have been a better word than "exaggerated". Just a lot of pre-PT neuroses I think, which is to be expected and I don't blame people. We've all been there at some point!