Being an athlete hurt me???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallqt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if being a division I athlete would help or hurt me in this process b/c I know that some ppl may look negatively at me because of it. (A lot of professors automatically label me a dumb jock and won't even talk to me because they think I'm trying to get special treatment or some ****) Plus even though I have a good GPA (3.85 in BME), I havent' had any time until just recently to do any research, and I have no clinical expereince besides my once a month doctor visits (which I know doesn't count). Is there anything else I can do to make the adcoms realize how much of my undergrad has been dedicated to gymnastics, but that once I graduate I will have much more time for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen, being an athlete helps in med school admissions. They like to see people who have interests and talents outside of medicine, and if you show that you're intelligent by doing well on the MCAT and keeping your GPA up, they'll believe it. You don't necessarily need research or even clinical experience to get in, but I wouldn't apply without having at least one of them. If you really are deficient in this area and gymnastics totally interferes with everything else, why not take a year or two off to get some good clinical and/or research experience and pursue whatever other activities interest you?

I agree, from what I've seen having any passion at all (including athletics) really helps! I have a friend who played hockey at Univ. of Wisconsin (Div I), because of the time that he spent at practice, games, etc. he didnt have time for anything else. In fact, he only had a 3.3 GPA when he graduated and he got into medical school! I think you will get in :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I played D-1 sports and it DEFINITELY helped me get in. Most of my interviewers spent lots of time going over my athletic accomplishments (cause I had absolutely ZERO research experience). It sets you apart. They know that you can't play D-1 and do tons of other EC's....there is only 24 hrs in the day.
Don't downplay your sports achievements on your AMCAS either...put it out there for everyone to see.

thanks you guys are making me feel a LOT better!!

I think you're gonna do great! Just keep at it!

your gymnastics will set you apart from everyone.. its a total advantage! think of how many kids have the exact same resumes: volunteer, research, grades... your application is gonna jump out at anyone who reads it, especially with a 3.85!

I'd make sure that you get some clinical experience. Even if you can set off one week to do between 30-60 hours, it will both help you with your decision and get you an idea of what medicine is like. Its essentially a non-required requirement.

smallqt said:
I was just wondering if being a division I athlete would help or hurt me in this process b/c I know that some ppl may look negatively at me because of it. (A lot of professors automatically label me a dumb jock and won't even talk to me because they think I'm trying to get special treatment or some ****) Plus even though I have a good GPA (3.85 in BME), I havent' had any time until just recently to do any research, and I have no clinical expereince besides my once a month doctor visits (which I know doesn't count). Is there anything else I can do to make the adcoms realize how much of my undergrad has been dedicated to gymnastics, but that once I graduate I will have much more time for med school?

I applied to medical school in 2004 and have gotten in while touring as a tennis professional on the WTA tennis tour. Be proud of the fact that you are part of a elite group of student athletes! :) The time put into D1 athletic amounts to a full time job. The fact that you have such a good average highlights your ability to manage your time, self discipline, and make sacrifices to achieve your goals. I think the key to presenting your case is through your personal statement. While writing your PS it is important to remember that ad com people have no frame of reference. You must explain what it entails to be at the level that you're at. I think it would also help to get a letter of recommendation from the highest authority in your sport, in my case the president of the WTA. They should include all of your accomplishments and how the system works in your sport. Have this letter sent out with your commitee letter.

As for your clinical experience, it's never too late. It takes awhile between AMCAS, secondaries, and interviews. If you start now you'll at least get at least three months worth of experience...if you squeeze enough hours in you might even get to put in an additional letter of recomendation while putting in your secondaries. Some amount of time is better than none.

You are unique as an applicant! :thumbup: Anybody who looks at you negatively is ignorant and has no idea what it means to be a student athlete. Don't let them bother you. The only people whose opinions matter are the ad commitee. I can tell you from experience that they are extremely appreciative of student-athletes that have solid numbers. Be prepared to talk about your sport and take the time explain everything to your interviewer so that they can represent your accomplishments accurately to the rest of the commitee. It all about how you present yourself!!

actually i believe that med school really like individuals who are involved in sports.

there are several former D1 athletes in my class, including the former captain of yale's ice hockey team. we played some pickup once at the beginning of the year and he basically skated circles around us california boys and made us look stupid.

being a D1 athlete definitely benefits an applicant to medical school. shows they are well rounded and can excel at more than academics.

I agree with everyone else. My cousin is starting med school in the fall and she played for a top 10 basketball program. She had great grades and a very good MCAT score. She had a little bit of research, but nothing too extensive as playing for a prestigious program can be time consuming. Playing a D1 sport shows your long lasting commitment to SOMETHING, if you can emphasize that you will give medicine the same commitment you gave to your sport, you're golden.

Interests help eh? Well dang I'm a big fat anime geek with b*tch tits. I bet they'll love that! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it appears the general consensus is: yes it will help you :) I played D1 college basketball...ok it was NAIA division 1. I still but in 30-40 hours a week. It was my life. I was not gifted physically, so I dedicated a lot of my time to skill development. I guess what I am trying to get at is...no there is not a lot of time for clinical experience...but make sure you get some...a few hours a week adds up... ;)

hnbui said:
actually i believe that med school really like individuals who are involved in sports.

even D3 sports? :scared: i ran year round, but even though we were D3 i'd still say it took up quite a lot of time. and on top of that i had to hold down a job to pay for school, and i've got good clinical and research experience. problem is, my grades may have suffered a bit as a result cause of all the activities (i know, very dumb of me)... :oops: i've got decent MCAT scores though so i'm hoping it will all balance out [crosses fingers]

FenixFyre said:
even D3 sports? :scared: i ran year round, but even though we were D3 i'd still say it took up quite a lot of time. and on top of that i had to hold down a job to pay for school, and i've got good clinical and research experience. problem is, my grades may have suffered a bit as a result cause of all the activities (i know, very dumb of me)... :oops: i've got decent MCAT scores though so i'm hoping it will all balance out [crosses fingers]

i dont know why everyone stresses about what they are doing for ec's...whatever ec u do as long as u do it with a passion can only help you(so long as it isn't something really dumb like underwater basketweaving). the problem doesnt usually lie in which ec or sport or whatever it is you are doing...the problem usually lies in the ec's u ARENT involved with(ie if u have absolutely no volunteer work or absolutely no research). you dont want to come across as a one sided individual.

Adcoms love athletes in general especially successful ones. There maybe some adcom members that don't like them but I think they are in the minority. My class had a number of athletes, people competing at the olympic trials, ect.

Just make sure like any applicant, you don't use your sport as an excuse for low grades, MCATs, or clinical experience.

smallqt said:

I find it hard to believe that your professors would go out of their way to give you a hard time. How do they know you're an athlete anyway unless you go around advertising that fact? College isn't high school. Most professors take a low amount of interest in any given student whom they do not know. Maybe you are used to getting special attention from others, so you expect it from your professors too. I went to an Ivy League school, and the athletes that I knew there got all kinds of academic perks like free private tutoring, the options to take certain exams whenever they want, etc.

Making excuses is not something medical school admission committes will be impressed by.

what a stupid thread. like anyone's gonna shoot you down for being an athlete. i especially love how a gymnast is worried about being labelled a "dumb jock."

Get some clinical/volunteer experience!

Shadow a doc for a few hours a week/month. You can probably use your D-1 sports as an asset. You know, gynmnasts that volunteer at a childrens hospital! The kids will love it, and you'll get some great experience. Recruit a couple of fellow athletes, volunteer a couple of hours a week with them with some kids, and you'll be golden.

Mr. Rosewater said:
what a stupid thread. like anyone's gonna shoot you down for being an athlete. i especially love how a gymnast is worried about being labelled a "dumb jock."

heh- you just called the guy worried about being thought of as a dumb jock stupid and you dissed his sport.

:cool: :laugh:

Last edited:
I played D1 soccer on a top 25 team, and had limited time for clinical and research experience. I had some interviews that all we talked about was athletics, and others that grilled me for my limited clinical experience. I was accepted at a school that never really brought up athletics, and I was denied at a school where athletics was the focus of the interview. You'll win some and lose some.

Garuda said:
I find it hard to believe that your professors would go out of their way to give you a hard time. How do they know you're an athlete anyway unless you go around advertising that fact? College isn't high school. Most professors take a low amount of interest in any given student whom they do not know. Maybe you are used to getting special attention from others, so you expect it from your professors too. I went to an Ivy League school, and the athletes that I knew there got all kinds of academic perks like free private tutoring, the options to take certain exams whenever they want, etc.

Making excuses is not something medical school admission committes will be impressed by.

Actually they do give you a hard time if your not a big football or basketball player and you have to miss their class for a competition....Asking if I will be missing any assignments while im gone is not asking for special permission. But if want to try to insult me by talking about other athletes you know then thats fine. I dont have anything I need to make excuses for. I know i have the stats to get into med school, I was just asking if they were going to treat me any differently.

Thanks to everyone that actually gave some helpful responses to what I said.....I really appreciate it

Mr. Rosewater said:

I love how some people are so nice on this board and then theres this guy.

smallqt said:
I love how some people are so nice on this board and then theres this guy.

His post was pretty funny. Gymnastics certainly requires athleticism, but the notion you would get labeled a "dumb jock" for participating in a sport most people would barely credit as a sport is rather comical.

As the people here have said-- get some clinical involvement. This is pretty much required regardless of your other extracurricular activites. Also, realize your personal statement has to answer the question of, "Why medicine?" and, thus, it is unlikely you will be able to write a convincing one without some kind of shadowing/volunteering experience.

RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Did being an athlete hurt George Bush? HUH?? HUH??