Is being a D1-A Rugby athlete considered as good as being a NCAA D1 athlete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxryker

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a D1-A Rugby athlete for 1 year (approximately 300 hours). It's governed by USA Rugby, not the NCAA. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Team sport like rowing or ice hockey. It is true that someone who played rugby will find it interesting and there just might be some adcoms who went to med school in the early 80s who were on medical college rugby teams. I recall that that crowd had some of the best parties. ;)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds super cool to me, probably a good interview topic. Hopefully some adcom has played and you’re suddenly spending an interview talking about rugby instead of why you want to go into medicine.

Eh, probably helps more at Goldman Sachs or Bridgewater than in medical school admissions. sports like rugby, squash, sailing, crew etc. can be perceived as elitist/out of touch with normal people. this isn’t the case for basketball, football, baseball.

Obviously you should list it, just my 2cents in terms of its impact.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Eh, probably helps more at Goldman Sachs or Bridgewater than in medical school admissions. sports like rugby, squash, sailing, crew etc. can be perceived as elitist/out of touch with normal people. this isn’t the case for basketball, football, baseball.

Obviously you should list it, just my 2cents in terms of its impact.
rugby elitist? I would disagree with this strongly. Have you ever played or seen a game? Maybe 30 years ago it was only played at east coast universities, but that is not the case today. Grassroots rugby clubs are all over the US and most universities have a rugby club, and alot of universities adding scholarships to their programs making it more of an official D1 sport. As someone who played through high school and college, I would consider sports like baseball and basketball more "elitist".

But to OP I think rugby would look great especially if you talk about the sportsmanship and leadership you learn from Rugby.

Reactions: 1 users